HDTVs

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I figured I'd go with a BenQ next time around. Although I'd really like to know how/why then panels are shitting out on me. Doesn't look like an LCD is an option, unfortunately.

spronk

FPS noob
i went from a 120" projector to a 50" LCD and then a 60" LED last year and best decision ever, PJ was fun but I do not miss the hassle of worrying about lights, walking in front of shit, bulbs, etc. Maybe if you have a decked out movie theater room you want to stick with PJ, but otherwise I'd think about a LED/LCD/Plasma.

There are 80-100" OLED 4k screens coming down the pipes, but its still realistically 4-5 years before they are under $5k so I'd pick up something with that kind of timeframe in mind. Within 10 years we should have 100-120" paper thin OLED screens, or something better.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
With built-in support for up to a 5 x 5 video wall
Well then. Now we're talking.

Power requirement for this unit is 220-240V AC (consumes approximately 9% less power than previous version).
Given the weight and the power requirements of that puppy, not to mention the cost, and it's just not a great fit for me. I'd have to hire an electrician to wire it and a carpenter to reinforce the wall it would be mounted on. Looks like I'll just go with another projector.

Anyone got any good recommendations for a 1080p projector with high light output? I've been using a Panny PT-AE2000U, which has been fine but could be a bit brighter.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Go plasma for gaming if the room/lighting allows it. 600hz is basically overkill, but why not get it if you can? Who knows, maybe the next-gen xbox and playstation won't be capped at 60fps, maybe they will push towards 120(probably doubtful) and you'll already be ready for it. Ghosting is a non-issue with anything you throw at a plasma with that kind of refresh rate. And if you hook your PC up to it and are pushing triple-digit framerates in games, no problem.

Just be aware that Plasmas have a glass cover, and do glare pretty bad if there is a lot of light in the room.

If you can't go plasma because of the room lighting, get a 120hz LCD/LED

Petro-Petro_sl

shitlord
Folks anniversary is coming up. Thinking of getting them a wall mount for their 32inch Sony. Looked at Best Buy/Amazon and havent really liked what they have in stock... Thoughts on where else I could take a look at?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
What didn't you like about the ones you looked at?

sl4ck3r_sl

shitlord
Bit the bullet on the Panasonic 50ST50 Plasma after I caught a deal at Sears for $800 and had Amazon price match it. Running slides to help with deterring IR, but have also watched a few HD shows here and there on Netflix. Probably put in about 40 hours or so of IR prevention slides, but have been watching vibrant shows/movies (Futurama/Archer/Rango) to help with the process. Good lord the picture is just fantastic with slight adjustments I picked up from avsforum. With that I played 3 hours of Minecraft and didn't notice a thing before or after I ran the TV's own built in IR prevention process.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
i got one of those back in december through a corporate perk, 427 including shipping!

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Anyone have a Sonos wireless surround system? Was in Magnolia and asking about 5.1 recommendations for receiver/speakers. Sales guy had glowing recommendations for the Sonos system, had it in his apartment, friends loved it, etc, despite it being quite a bit cheaper than higher end receivers (Yamaha, Onkoyo, Pioneer). He cranked up the sound bar, sub, and rear speakers and it was pretty impressive. I love the ability to buy speakers for the house later on, plug em in, and they automatically jump on the wireless channel and ready to go. He said you can even have different inputs on different speakers on the same channel, so I can be watching whatever upstairs on the 5.1, but wife can be outside or in kitchen listening to music through pandora/spotify. Pretty fucking nifty.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If it sounds good to you, then what's the problem?

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Hardware failures, poor range of channel, sound distortion in different room layouts, any other various complaints that the sales associate failed to mention.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Did these things happen to you or are they random interwebs-isms, and if they're the latter, are they the rule or the exception?

Sean_sl

shitlord
Finally decided on getting one of these:http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P60ST60- $1445 with their EPP thing.

Panasonic's 2013 version of the ST50. Supposedly it also actually has the GT50's panel in it (and there's no GT line above the ST line anymore, they cut it). Going to be grabbing one either in April or May, I've saved up my money for it since like last June and cannot wait.