HDTVs

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Ditto, everyone I know has a 50" or bigger LCD/Plasma, and no one uses 3D even if it's a feature on their TV. In everything I read about the CES this year, 3D was pretty much ignored, no one featured it or really even mentioned it. Maybe the horrible trend is finally about to go away.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I have a couple of friends who have a 3D TV, and every time I ask them what's so great about it, they find some way to change the subject. I've never heard a good thing beyond "hey, Avatar looks incredible in 3D".

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Funny that you ask this, as during the 49er game this weekend my TV popped up with a "3D signal detected" message so I said why not? Wasn't sure my glasses would be charged up, but apparently they hold a charge for months if you don't use them. I watched the game in 3D for about 5 minutes before turning it back off because it didn't really do anything exciting for me.

I've watched a couple of downloaded movies in 3D just to do it, and I have the Dredd 3D bluray sitting here waiting to try out, but beyond that...if the glasses had not come free with the TV I certainly wouldn't have bothered. It is just not fun to sit there with glasses on throughout an entire movie, at least for me. It can be neat to try, but not something I'd do more than once every few months just for the novelty.

spronk

FPS noob
same, have a 60" aquos 3d (active glasses, not passive) in living room and it never gets used. It was fun the first few times but most of the 3D movies look shittier in 3D than 2D (darker, fuzzier), the viewing angles are horrendous - you pretty much have to be straight forward around 8-12 feet away to see things in 3D, if you are at an angle it looks terrible.

Have tried gaming a few times on it too but it just looked awful and silly, the only one that was fun was Gran Turismo 5. I prefer gaming on my PC nowadays so its not really an option most of the time.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I watched the last Harry Potter movie in 3D from HBO with my wife last night. 3D is fucking awesome. I love gaming with it; AC3, Killzone 3, Call of Duty titles, they're all awesome. I have an 47" LG Cinema passive 3D set. Viewing angles are great, glasses are cheap, there's no eye strain like active and you don't need to worry about charging or changing batteries.

Pinch_sl

shitlord
I have a television issue that perhaps someone here can diagnose rather than starting a new thread. I had just hooked up an HDMI switcher, and about 30 mins after doing so, my TV turned of on its own. I turned it back on and the same thing happened a sorry while later. I unplugged the HDMI switcher in case that was causing it but the same thing happened shortly after.

Then the next time it turned off I was unable to get it to turn back on. What's odd is the TV was slowly flickering a dull gray color on the screen even though it was off, and I could hear a hissing or buzzing from the ac adapter that was in sync with the screen flickering. I ordered a new ac adapter in case that's the issue, but if that doesn't solve the issue does anyone else have any ideas? Could an HDMI switcher kill my TV like that? Of the new ac adapter works I'd be worried to try the HDMI switcher again. I've already missed one week of payoffs with no TV!

The TV is a 46" led Westinghouse (grad student, so I'm poor!)

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hey - I dunno who posted at old FoH forums about a samsung dlp with white dots or whatever. Anyways, my dads tv did that same shit and I fixed it with that part from shopjimmy.

So thanks to whatever bro that was.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I have a television issue that perhaps someone here can diagnose rather than starting a new thread. I had just hooked up an HDMI switcher, and about 30 mins after doing so, my TV turned of on its own. I turned it back on and the same thing happened a sorry while later. I unplugged the HDMI switcher in case that was causing it but the same thing happened shortly after.

Then the next time it turned off I was unable to get it to turn back on. What's odd is the TV was slowly flickering a dull gray color on the screen even though it was off, and I could hear a hissing or buzzing from the ac adapter that was in sync with the screen flickering. I ordered a new ac adapter in case that's the issue, but if that doesn't solve the issue does anyone else have any ideas? Could an HDMI switcher kill my TV like that? Of the new ac adapter works I'd be worried to try the HDMI switcher again. I've already missed one week of payoffs with no TV!

Not being an electrician I can't say for certain, but it seems doubtful that a switcher would cause that kind of problem, but you never know. I suppose if the HDMI types (1.2, 1.3, etc.) are different it could have caused problems, but from my understanding it will just limit things like transmitting audio with the video, not a complete meltdown.

My guess is that you are on the right course with the new power supply, but obviously you're going to want to try it for awhile without the switcher and then add it in and see what happens. I can think of no reason that a switcher would destroy a power supply, but like I said, not an electrician.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Picked up a 60" Vizio LED TV yesterday and it's so damn wonderful. It's really another level vs. my old 40" Samsung LCD. I watched the Avengers bluray and it was the best movie experience ever outside of a movie theater. I sit 14 feet from my TV and I have had the feeling that 40" wasn't really big enough for quite a while and I was definitely right about that.

Lipitaur_sl

shitlord
I'm a panasonic plasma man myself. I have had a 50" S1 model from several years ago that has been nothing but great and my father just got the new 55" VT50 which is GORGEOUS. In my opinion, and the opinion of most reviewers, the ST50 models are the best bang for your buck TV out there.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I almost went with a plasma, but my living room has white walls and a lot of windows and I had some trouble with reflections even on my samsung LCD so I was concerned about that with a plasma. The Vizio screen has a super matte finish and even when it's shut off it's hard to see much of a reflection in it.

After a few more days I am still in love with the huge screen though, if you're thinking about upgrading to a bigger TV, do it. It is awesome. The only downside is that it's now much more obvious when something has bad picture quality. Watching the standard def local commercials on this thing is painful.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

It sounds like capacitors to me. How old is the TV?

Pinch_sl

shitlord
It sounds like capacitors to me. How old is the TV?
The TV is almost 2 years old. The new ac adapter didn't fix the problem so I am debating between having a professional look at it and taking it apart myself to see if anything is obviously wrong. The TV still won't power on at all. Should have just gotten a square trade warranty!

Sparko

Silver Knight of the Realm
Picked up a 60" Vizio LED TV yesterday and it's so damn wonderful. It's really another level vs. my old 40" Samsung LCD. I watched the Avengers bluray and it was the best movie experience ever outside of a movie theater. I sit 14 feet from my TV and I have had the feeling that 40" wasn't really big enough for quite a while and I was definitely right about that.
I picked up a 55" Vizio LED smart TV a few months back and it's by far the best TV I've ever owned. The picture quality is absolutely amazing, it looks great from all angles and took no time at all time mount to the wall. I bought it at Sams Club for around $900 + tax.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Anyone making a LCD or Plasma in the 100" range that isn't ridiculously expensive? My projector is on it's last legs, the panel inside it is fucked with lots of blotches and miscolorations. This is the second one it's happened to. Not consistent burn in from a game UI or sports ticker, either. Basically I've only gotten about 3-4 years out of my two projectors so far (first one a Hitachi, second a Panasonic). So I'm thinking of getting away from a projector this time around, but I don't want to go down much in size from 106".

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
Anyone making a LCD or Plasma in the 100" range that isn't ridiculously expensive? My projector is on it's last legs, the panel inside it is fucked with lots of blotches and miscolorations. This is the second one it's happened to. Not consistent burn in from a game UI or sports ticker, either. Basically I've only gotten about 3-4 years out of my two projectors so far (first one a Hitachi, second a Panasonic). So I'm thinking of getting away from a projector this time around, but I don't want to go down much in size from 106".
Define ridiculously expensive.

Probably around 15-20k. For that money, you could go to SK or Nippon land to see them first hand.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I'm a panasonic plasma man myself. I have had a 50" S1 model from several years ago that has been nothing but great and my father just got the new 55" VT50 which is GORGEOUS. In my opinion, and the opinion of most reviewers, the ST50 models are the best bang for your buck TV out there.
I have the Panasonic U50 the non 3D one because I fucking hate wearing the 3D glasses since I wear glasses and knew I would never ever use it. I get complimented on the picture of my tv by literally everyone that watches it.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
If you can hold off for a couple years they might hit 100" at a decent price. 80 inchers are around $2400 now.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Sucks to hear you had 2 projectors fail on you. I've been using aOptoma HD72for the last 3 years or so and looking to upgrade to aBenQ W5000soon. A friend has the Benq and it's jaw dropping. You can get some very cheap ones if you browse ebay for a bit or you're not afraid to fix shit.