HDTVs

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Jokes on them if it's a scam, they already have my info. #fuckyeaOPM

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I read it as a lottery system though, for a limited quantity of discounted ones.
Yea, I did as well was hoping at least someone got one. I dunno seems like a real odd way to launch given they didn't even seem to announce it on their site or draw attention to it at all. Is that how the one plus one us release went, too?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
One of the rtings pages had the letter/number to look for on the serial. It was something like if the 4th digit was a J or W yada yada

Oh wait it was on CNET

"If the 4th digit of the serial number is a J or 7, that unit uses an IPS panel. For example, LWZJSEARxxxxxxx or LTM7SHARxxxxxxx. All other serial numbers for 2015 E-Series will be units using VA panels."
Bit of a TV noob, but is VA the way to go?

spronk

FPS noob
i didn't get the leTV invite either, looking at the slickdeals thread it seems they got 30k signups and only sending out 500 or so invites so your odds are slim. all the invites already went out, late last night, and are good only for 24 hours. thats for the $479 discounted price, msrp is $799 on those TVs

spronk

FPS noob
glad i waited to replace my man cave TV, this LG looks sexy and thin as a supermodel

jeydax

Death and Taxes
glad i waited to replace my man cave TV, this LG looks sexy and thin as a supermodel
Yeah. And it costs $6,000 for a 65". You've gained nothing by waiting a couple months...

Edit: Not trying to knock your decision to wait or anything, those things are just crazy expensive and will be for a couple more years. They do look damn good. I'm quite happy I got my Samsung UN65JS8500.

Siliconemelons

LG has been on top of OLED for years and have been doing the most R&D on expanding them into actual mainstream market prices - they are about 50% what they where a few years ago, their big OLEDS where in the 9-12k, now they are floating around 4-7k - they also have WebOS the only worth a shit smart TV OS if you care about that.

So this year should see some 40"-50" OLEDs in the 2k range and next year they should be in the standard prices - but by then I would assume everyone will be OLED.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I still think you are crazy to pick a 50 inch OLED at 2k over a top end 75 inch LED panel at 2k. You are gonna notice the size difference a bajillion times more than you are gonna notice the higher contrast ratio.

Glad I bought last spring when samsung was clearancing the 1080p top line models in favor of the incoming 4k models personally.

Column_sl

shitlord
I would never buy an OLED for 6k because they are not built to last. The Blue Pixel problem has yet to be solved. I would just wait till they come down in price so you can replace them once every 2 years at most.

They also have massive burn in issues.

You are gonna notice the size difference a bajillion times more than you are gonna notice the higher contrast ratio.
That has everything to do with your living space, and nothing to do with how big your panel is.

You want your screen to be double the measurements from your head to the screen. The bigger the panel the farther back you need to move your seating.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
So this year should see some 40"-50" OLEDs in the 2k range and next year they should be in the standard prices - but by then I would assume everyone will be OLED.
I doubt they'll be standard/common next year. I hope OLED becomes more mainstream and accepted than plasma, and it certainly looks promising, but most people don't care enough about what OLED offers to not just keep buying LEDs that are always going to be comparatively less expensive. The same way most people didn't see enough in plasma to go that route. I just hope they become affordable enough so those who do value picture quality have a reasonable option.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Is there anywhere to go from there in the near-term with TVs? I feel like graphics are catching up with sound in that even 'normal' quality is on the ragged edge of human sensory fidelity in most cases. Those 1-2K 4K TVs right now are ridiculous.

I'm not going to fall for it though, we'll all be using personal VR to watch VR movies/TV within 5 years and 'screens' will be background decoration!

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I still think you are crazy to pick a 50 inch OLED at 2k over a top end 75 inch LED panel at 2k. You are gonna notice the size difference a bajillion times more than you are gonna notice the higher contrast ratio.

Glad I bought last spring when samsung was clearancing the 1080p top line models in favor of the incoming 4k models personally.
And my future in-laws absolutely love their 46inch LED they sit 20 feet from (fact). It's all about options. And I don't see them every paying a cent more to get the picture quality of OLED (that is more involved than just a "higher contrast ratio"). Hopefully we just have enough affordable options to let people decide what they value and at relatively reasonable prices. I mean I understand when people don't like my 60inch Samsung F8500 plasma because sitting straight on with your ear facing the screen it buzzes like a nest of hornets (terrible tv to make-out in front of!) and the picture is 'too dark' for some people's tastes. But I'm glad I still had the option to get one because the picture quality is exactly what I hoped for and so good I sometimes make excuses so I don't have to watch football on a damn 46inch LED from 20 feet away!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Moving into a new place and for the first time ever I'm gonna be mounting my 46 inch LCD. I'll pick up a mount off amazon easy enough, but for options to stack the electronics, what has worked for people? Mount shelves? Just get a table on the ground and have the wires running up to the TV?

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Moving into a new place and for the first time ever I'm gonna be mounting my 46 inch LCD. I'll pick up a mount off amazon easy enough, but for options to stack the electronics, what has worked for people? Mount shelves? Just get a table on the ground and have the wires running up to the TV?
Console, table or rack and use these to run your cables behind the wall for a clean look:

rrr_img_123878.jpg

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4001

May be against code if you're running power behind the wall and not in a conduit, but not a big deal.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The home those would create that I'd have to patch when I move out may prohibit me actually using them.