HDTVs

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Lol. Good idea, just not sure how the apartment complex would like that.
smile.png
I'm gonna think about it though!

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Patching the drywall hole that would leave would be incredibly easy, especially if you keep what you cut out.

I might end up purchasing a TV when I move into my house, something in the $600-700 range. Current one is a 7 year old 42 inch LG.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
So I want to buy a new TV to replace a 42" Samsung, it's connected to a 5 year old pc which is only used for downloading HD content from IPT and the occasional game of Dota 2.

I want to buy a 4k TV for future proofing purposes and IPT is starting to get some 4k content in the form of 4k web rips of movies like Fury and Elysium.

I thought I understood what I needed, a new PC with a geforce 9 series gfx card that supported HDMI 2.0 for 4k at 60hz and a TV which supported HDMI 2.0 also.

So then I started looking at TVs and saw that HDR something else to look for and that HDMI 2.0a is another thing to look for, except no current graphics cards even support HDMI 2.0a yet?

Am I better off waiting for the 2016 range of cards and TVs?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Anyone making a reasonably priced, 90-100" TV yet? Last I checked they were all 20k+. My projector is going flaky again. Might just be the bulb about to die. But at this point I'd like to just be done with projectors, but not if it's going to cost 10-20 grand.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Nope. The tipping point for TVs right now seems to be 75 inches. 75 inches and below and TVs are very reasonable. You can get a 75" 4K TV for 2 grand.

As soon as you hit 85" you're looking at the $8000+ price range

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Hmm... I have the Denon 3200. Do you have the IR extender thing plugged in?
Didn't see one in the box? It might come with different accessories in the USA than the UK.

Shouldn't need one as my lounge is not that big, I tried everything, different batteries, up close, far away etc

The store is shut today so can't take it back until tomorrow

Any other tips?

Are you pleased with it

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Yeah I love it. I'm not very fluent in home audio setups in particular but it has been very easy to use and setup. Audyssey makes tuning the sound a breeze.

I asked about the IR extender because I don't use one on mine either - and I don't think that it came with one (I may have confused it with my TV or Comcast box which had one).

When you say it doesn't work you mean the remote doesn't work? Or do you mean it flat out doesn't even turn on?

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone making a reasonably priced, 90-100" TV yet? Last I checked they were all 20k+. My projector is going flaky again. Might just be the bulb about to die. But at this point I'd like to just be done with projectors, but not if it's going to cost 10-20 grand.
What about a 4 in 1 TV wall?
smile.png

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Meh. Might look cool, but overall it would just be obnoxious with the bezels in the middle. I wouldn't really get much use out of multiple displays, personally.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Meh. Might look cool, but overall it would just be obnoxious with the bezels in the middle. I wouldn't really get much use out of multiple displays, personally.
It'd be cool for sporting events and big groups, but then cozy up to the 70" when you are alone.

Do you need a 100" screen for your space? Get a 70" and just sit closer? Sorry not trying to short circuit your decision just wondering.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
The configuration of my space leaves my eyeballs at about 14' from the screen. Not really possible to change the space up. Is 100" entirely necessary? No, not at all. A 70" would be fine there for movies/TV/sports, although using it as an HTPC would not be ideal at all. Even at 106" some PC game's UI's are difficult to make out. Obviously console games that's not an issue to the same extent. I don't expect to ever have a 106" panel there, but I don't want to take a huge step back down to something in the 70" range either. Something around 85-95" would probably be ideal. Unfortunately that seems to be past a massive cost inflection point still.

Depending on which standard you go by, 106" is pretty much right in the wheelhouse for my viewing distance. It's actually on the small side if you go by THX, but that's probably excessive.

HDTV Set Up THX.com

Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SMPTE is more in the ballpark, which puts it right at 105" (14' x .625).

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
The configuration of my space leaves my eyeballs at about 14' from the screen. Not really possible to change the space up. Is 100" entirely necessary? No, not at all. A 70" would be fine there for movies/TV/sports, although using it as an HTPC would not be ideal at all. Even at 106" some PC game's UI's are difficult to make out. Obviously console games that's not an issue to the same extent. I don't expect to ever have a 106" panel there, but I don't want to take a huge step back down to something in the 70" range either. Something around 85-95" would probably be ideal. Unfortunately that seems to be past a massive cost inflection point still.

Depending on which standard you go by, 106" is pretty much right in the wheelhouse for my viewing distance. It's actually on the small side if you go by THX, but that's probably excessive.

HDTV Set Up THX.com

Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SMPTE is more in the ballpark, which puts it right at 105" (14' x .625).
Makes sense, I think a projector is your only choice in that situation. The panels aren't going to get that big at a reasonable price for some time.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Picked this up for $799 shipped
Amazon.com: Sony XBR55X810C 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2015 Model): Electronics

Eventual plan is to get a nuc(depending how well android tv hold up) to stream from a nas.

Android TV is so far is surprisingly good, huge improvement over the firestick I was using with my old LG. Havent ran into any issues yet streaming from plex, amazon or youtube 4k content. Remote also works pretty good controlling them as well.

rrr_img_127814.jpg

Siliconemelons

I had that TV stand :) or one that looks very, very much like it. Got mine from sams open box for like 50$ about 7 years ago lol .. mine does not have/is missing the horizontal wood piece though.

One I make my wife her craft/office room I get our current office that I plan on making into a home theater. by then I hope the LGs are cheaper...I am a few years out on these projects lol.

Samuell

Trakanon Raider
Does anyone in here still use a Pioneer PRO-151FD or 6020FD? I haven't felt the need to upgrade yet, however I expect to soon enough. Any other Pioneer fans who made the transition? If so, what did you choose?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Does anyone in here still use a Pioneer PRO-151FD or 6020FD? I haven't felt the need to upgrade yet, however I expect to soon enough. Any other Pioneer fans who made the transition? If so, what did you choose?
The LG 2016 range of OLED are probably the best TVs on the market right now

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
If you're going from a high quality plasma and value picture quality then OLED is it. If you're not that much a geek or care more about screen size or your wallet, then get some middle-of-the-road good-enough LED until OLED drop in price or become standard, if either ever happen.