HDTVs

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
heh 8k.. I'm going to be looking for something around 80 inches by end of summer. Hope prices drop

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of 8k there was a post on Reddit that Japan 2020 Olympics were going to be done in 8k and they were going to test some of it in Rio this year. Imagine how all that trash water will look in so many ks!

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I plan to hide my cable box about 20 ft away from my tv in a closet. Any of you using one of those IR blasters with a similar setup? Can't decide what to get. Monoprices seems to have some fairly cheap ones with good ratings.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
I couldn't pass up a 10% discount (Best Buy Movers coupon picked up from the post office) on this and just picked this set up myself. I was considering the Samsung JS9500 or waiting for the KS9500 but then saw this come out of no where and took the plunge.

My short version review is the picture quality is great, no complaints there. I wouldn't count on using the tablet/smart cast feature without experiencing some frustration. I have never used a TV's native apps in the past but I gave this one a try with the new tablet/smartcast design. Atm you are better off using an external device to provide the content IMO.

My long review:

This is one of the few TVs that are supporting the Dolby Vision HDR format. Netflix is starting to provide this content. Macro Polo is one that is well done. When watching Marco Polo it looked great. From the start you can pick out so much detail like the embroidery on the robes etc. When watching it I did notice some weird artifacting issues now and then. It's hard to say if this is the fault of the source or the TV's interpretation of the source. The most common scenario for this is on a scene with a bright sky with a lot of dark horses/shadowed faces on the bottom. The beard of the main focus will get what appears to be groupings of stuck on pixels. Its somewhat rare and not terribly distracting. (This is using settings similar to the OP Calibrated Dark).

I expectrf some roughness as an early adopter but right now it is to the point where I would not recommend the TV to anyone except a patient enthusiast willing to have to spend a significant amount of tinkering if they aren't using an external source for their content.

The set came from firmware 1.0.0.0 so understandably I needed to upgrade. In order to play Netflix it said I needed to upgrade. The instructions on the screen asked me to link to the TV but unlike the initial setup it would link. It said otherwise power off the set and let it update. I power off the TV and wait 30 min. After powering it back on there wasn't an update message but Netflix no longer gave the error that I needed to upgrade. However casting still did not work. It would get to the Ready to Cast screen but never start when trying to play but it would not start. I then downloaded the latest firmware and used that to upgrade. I was then able to get a little further but Netflix casting was still having issues. It would start playing and I would get audio but no sound. Pausing from the tablet would show the progress bar but no picture. I skipping to the end and it showed the 'starting in 30 seconds message' with just the border around where the image for the title should be. After a full power off by disconnecting the TV (using the power button on the back of the TV seems like a soft power off) I was able to start casting successfully. However I still have constant issues where sometimes when I start to cast I get audio but no video. When it gets into this state I have to restart the TV. This is something that software updates can probably fix but for now other family members using the TV call to me to get it working again. Youtube has a stuttering issue. Also switching to a different youtube video and trying to cast it while a video is already playing reslts in the first video being re-casted instead of the newly chosen video. Also software issues that can be worked through. These aren't rare edge case scenarios that made it past QA though...

My next issue is the quality of the network adapters themselves. At same location as the TV, the tablet completes a speedtest consistently with 120+Mbps (5x the recommended to stream HD) However while using the TV with WiFi at 75-80% signal strength I would constantly see Netflix streaming and go to loading, and it would stay in 480p/1080p and not reach 4k (Marco Polo/Daredevil) I tried 2.4g and 5g connections with the same results. This looks like a hardware issue that can't be resolved. It looks like they chose a cheap wifi/soc solution. As a comparison I have a PS4 and a recent but cheap model Sony BR player with Wifi at the same location. The PS4 streams w/o issues (gamers wouldn't put up with bad network connectivity) however the cheap Sony player does not operate as well. I switched to a wired connection to the TV and I started getting 4K streams within 5 seconds of starting (my internet connection gets 300Mbps results from speedtest ) Unfortunately the NIC for the P75 is a 100Mbps card which is a disappointment and doesn't seem good from a long term future proof perspective but for now it is sufficient.

I like the direction of the tablet/casting methodology to control the TV. I think this TV was rushed to market when much more testing and refinement is needed in this aspect. I expect some device combinations to have issues. I couldn't expect them to account for every device out there. But these are core features with the provided hardware that aren't functioning properly. For the average user the TV is going to be a frustrating experience as they try to work through these issues. This is the direction they are going with all of their TVs though so I'm sure their engineers are focused on improving it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
If anyone ends up getting UHD Vudu movies and wants to be 'friends' let me know
smile.png
Vudu lets you share with collection with up to 5 people. So far I just have Mad Max, Pan and Heart of the Sea. I heard Pacific Rim is suppose to be good for HDR with DV. Right now the movies I'm getting are more to try out HDR vs actual content..

spronk

FPS noob
vizio's 55" P-series line is on sale at best buy, $1100 for a 4k TV that is apparently IPS panel. Their P series is brand new and interesting tech choice, it doesn't really come with apps but uses a chrome tablet to cast, which means you should stay with the latest versions of netflix/amazon/etc without depending on the TV manufacturer updating their apps (which they never do)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-55...lack/4352209.p

very, very tempted but i think I'm gonna wait and see until E3 announcements of PS 4k and new xbox release dates, those are really the only things that will get me to upgrade my 1080p TV to 4k

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I plan to hide my cable box about 20 ft away from my tv in a closet. Any of you using one of those IR blasters with a similar setup? Can't decide what to get. Monoprices seems to have some fairly cheap ones with good ratings.
I used one for awhile but wasn't really happy with the way everything lagged(sometimes Inputs wouldn't even respond even though the Receiver end was blinking like crazy), Not sure how much has changed with them recently though the one I use to have got smoked when we had a power surge(even had it on a surge protector)

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I couldn't pass up a 10% discount (Best Buy Movers coupon picked up from the post office) on this and just picked this set up myself. I was considering the Samsung JS9500 or waiting for the KS9500 but then saw this come out of no where and took the plunge.

My short version review is the picture quality is great, no complaints there. I wouldn't count on using the tablet/smart cast feature without experiencing some frustration. I have never used a TV's native apps in the past but I gave this one a try with the new tablet/smartcast design. Atm you are better off using an external device to provide the content IMO.

My long review:

This is one of the few TVs that are supporting the Dolby Vision HDR format. Netflix is starting to provide this content. Macro Polo is one that is well done. When watching Marco Polo it looked great. From the start you can pick out so much detail like the embroidery on the robes etc. When watching it I did notice some weird artifacting issues now and then. It's hard to say if this is the fault of the source or the TV's interpretation of the source. The most common scenario for this is on a scene with a bright sky with a lot of dark horses/shadowed faces on the bottom. The beard of the main focus will get what appears to be groupings of stuck on pixels. Its somewhat rare and not terribly distracting. (This is using settings similar to the OP Calibrated Dark).

I expectrf some roughness as an early adopter but right now it is to the point where I would not recommend the TV to anyone except a patient enthusiast willing to have to spend a significant amount of tinkering if they aren't using an external source for their content.

The set came from firmware 1.0.0.0 so understandably I needed to upgrade. In order to play Netflix it said I needed to upgrade. The instructions on the screen asked me to link to the TV but unlike the initial setup it would link. It said otherwise power off the set and let it update. I power off the TV and wait 30 min. After powering it back on there wasn't an update message but Netflix no longer gave the error that I needed to upgrade. However casting still did not work. It would get to the Ready to Cast screen but never start when trying to play but it would not start. I then downloaded the latest firmware and used that to upgrade. I was then able to get a little further but Netflix casting was still having issues. It would start playing and I would get audio but no sound. Pausing from the tablet would show the progress bar but no picture. I skipping to the end and it showed the 'starting in 30 seconds message' with just the border around where the image for the title should be. After a full power off by disconnecting the TV (using the power button on the back of the TV seems like a soft power off) I was able to start casting successfully. However I still have constant issues where sometimes when I start to cast I get audio but no video. When it gets into this state I have to restart the TV. This is something that software updates can probably fix but for now other family members using the TV call to me to get it working again. Youtube has a stuttering issue. Also switching to a different youtube video and trying to cast it while a video is already playing reslts in the first video being re-casted instead of the newly chosen video. Also software issues that can be worked through. These aren't rare edge case scenarios that made it past QA though...

My next issue is the quality of the network adapters themselves. At same location as the TV, the tablet completes a speedtest consistently with 120+Mbps (5x the recommended to stream HD) However while using the TV with WiFi at 75-80% signal strength I would constantly see Netflix streaming and go to loading, and it would stay in 480p/1080p and not reach 4k (Marco Polo/Daredevil) I tried 2.4g and 5g connections with the same results. This looks like a hardware issue that can't be resolved. It looks like they chose a cheap wifi/soc solution. As a comparison I have a PS4 and a recent but cheap model Sony BR player with Wifi at the same location. The PS4 streams w/o issues (gamers wouldn't put up with bad network connectivity) however the cheap Sony player does not operate as well. I switched to a wired connection to the TV and I started getting 4K streams within 5 seconds of starting (my internet connection gets 300Mbps results from speedtest ) Unfortunately the NIC for the P75 is a 100Mbps card which is a disappointment and doesn't seem good from a long term future proof perspective but for now it is sufficient.

I like the direction of the tablet/casting methodology to control the TV. I think this TV was rushed to market when much more testing and refinement is needed in this aspect. I expect some device combinations to have issues. I couldn't expect them to account for every device out there. But these are core features with the provided hardware that aren't functioning properly. For the average user the TV is going to be a frustrating experience as they try to work through these issues. This is the direction they are going with all of their TVs though so I'm sure their engineers are focused on improving it.
You still happy with this purchase? I'm going to be looking in the next 3 months or so. I settled on 75in. 80 just too over priced.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I really want to go bigger, but probably replace our 60" Samsung w/ a 60" 4k HDR Samsung (moving the former living room TV into the loft). Really want to go to 75" but pretty sure wife faction won't allow me to. Doing this will let me probably do both this and grab a 55" 4k HDR Black Friday or fall sale for my office and I guess it'll let me be lazy and not have to get a new mount for the living room.

Can't believe how cheap some of this stuff is getting, unless you hit those higher screen sizes of course.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
If you're going from a high quality plasma and value picture quality then OLED is it. If you're not that much a geek or care more about screen size or your wallet, then get some middle-of-the-road good-enough LED until OLED drop in price or become standard, if either ever happen.
OLED will drop like a rock after Quantum Dot is mainstream. (2018 Samsung)

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I really want to go bigger, but probably replace our 60" Samsung w/ a 60" 4k HDR Samsung (moving the former living room TV into the loft). Really want to go to 75" but pretty sure wife faction won't allow me to. Doing this will let me probably do both this and grab a 55" 4k HDR Black Friday or fall sale for my office and I guess it'll let me be lazy and not have to get a new mount for the living room.

Can't believe how cheap some of this stuff is getting, unless you hit those higher screen sizes of course.
Be careful with the lower price tier. (ESPECIALLY WITH SAMSUNG) There has been a reintroduction of 60hz native displays. Make sure to read the fine print if something seems to good to be true.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Looking at a 65" either a Sony X930D or a Samsung UN65KS800DFXZA.

The Samsung has the benefit of being $700 off right now (until 9/24) and Costco has it with $125 in HBO Now credit that I don't need but Ican give it to a friend. Brings it to $1900.

The Sony is $2500 pretty much the same price without the discount.

I have a Sony and Samsung in the house right now and I like both well enough but the Sony is better in my opinion.

I don't think I want to pay the price or get into the early adopter game of OLED.

spronk

FPS noob
i'd pick the samsung, especially if you are gonna do any console gaming
The Best Gaming TVs - Summer 2016: Reviews
Sony X930D Review (XBR55X930D, XBR65X930D)

both do 4:4:4 so can even hook up a PC and get great 1080p gaming or 4k video but input lag on samsung is 21ms vs 51ms on Sony, more than double.

If its just media playback though I dunno, especially with streaming you'd have to see which supports 4k + HDR better imo with the realization that probably next years models will do it all even better.