HDTVs

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
i'd pick the samsung, especially if you are gonna do any console gaming
The Best Gaming TVs - Summer 2016: Reviews
Sony X930D Review (XBR55X930D, XBR65X930D)

both do 4:4:4 so can even hook up a PC and get great 1080p gaming or 4k video but input lag on samsung is 21ms vs 51ms on Sony, more than double.

If its just media playback though I dunno, especially with streaming you'd have to see which supports 4k + HDR better imo with the realization that probably next years models will do it all even better.
Yeah that $700 off right now already has me leaning towards the Samsung and I know everything out next year will be better I am content enough with a new TV every 6 years and that time has come.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I've been in love with LG's OLED technology since stumbling across it a few years ago. Well, I treated myself today and picked up the $2500 OLED55C6P. I'm excited, but a little apprehensive (buyers remorse) of just how expensive this thing was. Oh well, it's getting delivered on Wednesday. I can't wait. Love me some OLED goodness.

This is a HUGE upgrade from my old 56" rear projection Samsung DLP. It was originally purchased around 10-11 years ago for $1700. One of the first true 1080p TV's at the time. It was decent for gaming, but I can't wait to see the OLED in action. Not to mention, it'll be fine for my daughter's netflix crap. Pokemon, Little Einstein, Octonauts... Whatever.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
heh, so my Samsung HLS5688-W 56" DLP from 2006 just blew the lamp (for the fourth time?) and I think I'm finally going to do something about it... though I face a dilemma

Do I replace it now, or wait for Black Friday or some other sale?

A bew bulb is $30 for cheap shit knockoff that will last a few months, $100 for Philips legit bulb that will last 9 months to a few years.

TV technology seems too dynamic right now, so I'm thinking I'll only spend around $1500 rather than going in at $2500 or so like I would otherwise.

I was looking at the new Vizio M65-D0, on sale for $1299 right now, maybe less at Costco... I haven't checked.

Anyway, taking suggestions on whether I strike now or wait, and I'll take your suggestions on alternative TVs too if you got em.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I've been in love with LG's OLED technology since stumbling across it a few years ago. Well, I treated myself today and picked up the $2500 OLED55C6P. I'm excited, but a little apprehensive (buyers remorse) of just how expensive this thing was. Oh well, it's getting delivered on Wednesday. I can't wait. Love me some OLED goodness.

This is a HUGE upgrade from my old 56" rear projection Samsung DLP. It was originally purchased around 10-11 years ago for $1700. One of the first true 1080p TV's at the time. It was decent for gaming, but I can't wait to see the OLED in action. Not to mention, it'll be fine for my daughter's netflix crap. Pokemon, Little Einstein, Octonauts... Whatever.

I want the 65inch version of this bad. But I'm waiting a year or so hoping it comes down in price.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
i'd pick the samsung, especially if you are gonna do any console gaming
The Best Gaming TVs - Summer 2016: Reviews
Sony X930D Review (XBR55X930D, XBR65X930D)

both do 4:4:4 so can even hook up a PC and get great 1080p gaming or 4k video but input lag on samsung is 21ms vs 51ms on Sony, more than double.

If its just media playback though I dunno, especially with streaming you'd have to see which supports 4k + HDR better imo with the realization that probably next years models will do it all even better.

Having just looked at these exact TVs I feel the Samsung is nicer if you mostly care about how bright the colors are where as the Sony has much truer color . I think it's a matter of preference if it's not for gaming.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
went to best buy to check out the P series Vizio and ended up really liking the new Sony XD850 which is cheaper. I'll probably be buying in another 2 months or so. hope it comes down a little in price. 75in model like 3k.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
so, different sites have different opinions... but I'm seeing more favorable reviews of the Vizio P65 than I am of the Samsung UNK65KS8000

anyone here have an opinion? my wife is annoyed that I haven't bought a new TV yet, as our living room has been dark for A WHOLE 48 HOURS now, forcing her to watch TV in the bedroom only.

the tablet remote looks stupid, and it seems that Amazon Prime Video is not natively available yet, as its not offered for Android tablets or something

I'm stuck.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My OLED came in today. It looks fantastic and the bezel is virtually non existent. Like maybe 1/4" at the absolute most. The picture is great, and the set up went very easy. On top of that, the default controller acts as a master controller and can do a bunch of shit. Set top box, sound bar. No problem. It's pretty nice.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Hachima Hachima how are you liking that tv?

I'm liking the TV now. My initial issues turned out to be a bad set. The first 10 minutes of usage had issues. Vizio replaced my TV and now it works great from the start. I was real happy with the support. No escalation requests needed to get things taken care of even though the symptoms were a bit strange. (Audio but no video for the first 10 min). I've really enjoyed the set for gaming in addition to HDR movies/TV. I don't have many people that will use the TV at any given time so viewing angle isn't an issue for me. It does lose a lot of its vividness pretty quickly when viewed from the side. The Samsung LED does beat it in that aspect by a little bit and OLEDs will be far superior if that is important.

I love the set for gaming although I don't play console games much and when I do input lag is as big of a deal to me but after playing around with settings and coming up with my own tests to visibility see the difference I was happy with my final results. I think it has some of the best results of the sets available now in this aspect.

Google and Amazon are at war with streaming so the P75 won't get native Amazon Prime. I love my Amazon Fire TV though. I have Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Starz, HBO Showtime, Disney Channels etc. Its real nice to voice command search all of these streaming providers at once. The UI is great. Unfortunately no HDR Prime support so I end up using my Samsung UHD player for that, which has a horrible UI....

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My room is set up like this:

L Computer desk on the wall. ---| --- (TV)

I was sitting at the L on my desk and was easily able to see the new OLED at such a wide off angle viewing, even though it's curved screen. I was impressed by that. Just wanted to chime into the last comment in that regard.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
so I went ahead and bit on a Samsung 65" KS8000

no external 4k sources yet, so the only things i've found are a couple of vids on youtube and a small handful of selections on netflix and amazon prime. But I've got to say, even my broadband cable tv looks beautiful

Not super thrilled with the smart TV OS, but it'll do until I get a roku or something set up. No spotify is annoying, but I can run that off the PS4. Also the input device auto identification during setup is wonky... depending on what devices I have plugged in the HDMI, the TV doesn't always identify them correctly, which leads to problems with the universal remote. Though it says to plug in and turn on all inputs for setup, definitely just do 1 at a time.

The main problem I have with the samsung is the One Connect box. I thought I did my research on this set... I spent a lot of time and agonized over this and several other models... somehow I missed that the TV has virtually no built in inputs. no HDMI etc. maybe that's a good thing, but it freaked me out. I guess samsung could update the one connect box if input and cable hardware changes in the near future, but i can't see them being so generous.

anyway, I may need some help from you guys. I've got an existing 7.1 surround setup, and I need to figure out how to connect everything to get my video into the TV and audio out of the speakers. I don;t know if i need a new receiver that's capable of a 4k passthrough, or if i just run the video to the TV and audio to the receiver via ARC... this shit is all new to me.

for bonus points, my wife wants to get rid of my front and center channel speakers, and replace them with a sound bar... is it possible to have a 3.1 soundbar setup (left right centers) + sub, along with independent rears and centers? I'd rather ditch the towers and go with bookshelves in the front anyway...

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
It is seriously confusing to me why the smart TV functions built into every TV I've ever used are painfully slow and roundly whipped by external sources like the Roku.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It is seriously confusing to me why the smart TV functions built into every TV I've ever used are painfully slow and roundly whipped by external sources like the Roku.

Not to mention, everyone I know uses external sources. Just ditch all the stupid Smart OS stuff in the TV and make it cheaper. There's a dozen different alternatives that all function infinitely better.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
We don't mind the KS8000 UI, and nice that my 8k series 60" from a 2014? updated to something as simple instead of the full screen thing they'd been doing for a few years. Just for Youtube/Amazon/Netflix really.