HDTVs

Siliconemelons

OLED's are wonderful to look at...though I have never seen a quantum dot TV- adding yet another layer of whatever to a LED/LCD combo imo is not necessarily innovating or new- but refinement and enhancement of current tech.

Samsung "OLED sucks by OUR TV." off tot he next booth "Samsung NEW phone with CURVED OLED screen!!" waaiittt

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Yeah, Samsung is allowed to use the OLED technology they have in the phones. It's actually a different tech than the one LG has a patent on. Sony uses the same tech (that Samsung uses) for their EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE "Professional" monitors.

LG is getting away without producing all of the colors. It was a gamble. They weren't sure if the yield would be good enough to mass produce televisions. It turns out that it worked great. The yield on the Sony/Samsung style OLED's is much more costly.
Sony | Monitors & Displays | TRIMASTER EL series OLED Monitors

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
That looks pretty awesome. I have a Fire Stick but as Big Phoenix Big Phoenix pointed out, it is slow as fuck.

The only pet peeve I have about that box is that it doesn't have a wired LAN port. I realize most people might not care, but I have a switch sitting right fucking there, why not hardwire it instead of relying on wifi?

Does anyone have any suggestions for a player like that, but with a wired option? Currently I have a NUC as a HTPC, and quite honestly it does everything I could ever want, but sometimes the simplicity of the Fire Stick is more appealing to me. I have no real reason to replace either one, but I feel like neither one is exactly perfect, you know? This Mi Box looks perfect, but I have to believe there are other options that do the same thing, and will assuage my issue with needing to plug it in. I just haven't really ever looked beyond the Fire Stick. I'll start looking now, but I figure plenty of you already have good suggestions. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Well, it seems it comes with a USB to RJ45 adapter, which would solve my problem I guess. I wonder if those adapters are as good as a dedicated port?

Last edited:

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Well fuck, now I want to buy an nVidia Shield. I knew I shouldn't have started looking.

That's pretty much the gold standard for Android TV right now, isn't it?

Does anyone make do with the 16GB version? All of my content would be on network drives, so it seems a little overkill to spend $100 extra for 500GB that I don't really need. Of course, most 16GB seem to be out of stock too. Will I run out of space for apps with only 16GB?

EDIT: Never mind! I just bought the fucking 500GB one. You guys are no help, OMG!
(I'm weak and need help!)

Last edited:

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
Well fuck, now I want to buy an nVidia Shield. I knew I shouldn't have started looking.

That's pretty much the gold standard for Android TV right now, isn't it?

Does anyone make do with the 16GB version? All of my content would be on network drives, so it seems a little overkill to spend $100 extra for 500GB that I don't really need. Of course, most 16GB seem to be out of stock too. Will I run out of space for apps with only 16GB?

EDIT: Never mind! I just bought the fucking 500GB one. You guys are no help, OMG!
(I'm weak and need help!)
if I run steam on my gaming PC, can i cast it to my livingroom TV using NVidia Shield? That seems to be the best of 2 worlds... PC master race software, via gamepad on the good ol couch and 65" HDR TV (i'm lookin at you, Mafia 3)

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
According to this post here it works for streaming Steam: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/844250/steam-streaming-/

All you have to do is:

Register your Shield to your Geforce powered PC in Geforce Experience (software that runs with the Video card)
Go to the Geforce PC Games "app" on your Shield TV
Click on Steam
It opens up in "Steam Big Picture" mode and you can select any game in your steam library. You can actually even tell Steam to install it if you don't already have the game installed.

So far every game I have tried worked great. Games with controller support work great with the Shield Controller. For games that don't have controller support, I just plug a mouse/keyboard into the shield and it works great.

I'm supposed to get mine tomorrow so I'll be able to test it for sure. I would imagine that doesn't work so well if you don't have an nVidia video card, but fortunately I (and most people I think) do.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
if I run steam on my gaming PC, can i cast it to my livingroom TV using NVidia Shield? That seems to be the best of 2 worlds... PC master race software, via gamepad on the good ol couch and 65" HDR TV (i'm lookin at you, Mafia 3)

With the right video card and pc specs you can stream games from your PC to your shield. Works flawlessly on the games I've tried.

Can't recommend the shield enough. I have two of them and a nexus player. Probably will replace the Nexus player in the master bedroom with a shield next time I find it on sale at Amazon.

Siliconemelons

I really WANT an LG OLED 4k HDR Curved 55-65" TV...

But I do not want to spend 3-4k on a TV.

Wife actually WANTS a TV for Bday (Nov) and Christmas...

She has been asking to get a new main TV for a while now... so I am thinking

LG 55UH6150

LG - 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV - Gray, Black

I like WebOS... I miss my Pre1..2..3...rip

its 600-700$ in various locations online etc.

Seems to have good reviews..

OR

wait for blackfriday / cyber Monday buy some stupid no-name 4k @ 55-65inch and call it a day.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My 55" oled was $2500. It was from best buy. Unfortunately, I can't buy any of them online (amazon or other) because they won't ship a large item to Hawaii. Oh well.

Siliconemelons

yeah I think I would enjoy a 1080 OLED more than a 4k LCD thanks for the info...and that one is 3d, I bet the kids would enjoy it.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Doing some research today for my Mom. They want something 65" and she says they're trying to stay around $3k. Personally (and without much recent studying) I think that is too much for them. They don't have any 4k sources and don't use their NetFlix that much. She would probably never tell the difference between 1080p and 4k, her husband maybe.

Guess I'll see if they can get a decent 4k set in the 65" range or just a nice OLED 1080p set.

Maybe something like: https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-65EG9600-65-Inch-Curved/dp/B00RVAG7MW
or the Sammsung K8000 listed above

Going to be stuck in airports all day looking around.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Doing some research today for my Mom. They want something 65" and she says they're trying to stay around $3k. Personally (and without much recent studying) I think that is too much for them. They don't have any 4k sources and don't use their NetFlix that much. She would probably never tell the difference between 1080p and 4k, her husband maybe.

Guess I'll see if they can get a decent 4k set in the 65" range or just a nice OLED 1080p set.

Maybe something like: https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-65EG9600-65-Inch-Curved/dp/B00RVAG7MW
or the Sammsung K8000 listed above

Going to be stuck in airports all day looking around.
For $3K you should be able to do 4K + OLED