HDTVs

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Holy shit. Holy fucking shit. Wtf. How? Insane. Amazing!

2160p 4k where have you been my whole life.

(Thank you Planet Earth 2!)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ya, I just paired with a dolby atmos 5.1.4 setup and holy feck. I feel like I've been living in the dark ages for the past few years, as this is all brand new tech to me. HDR 4k movies with that 3d sound is kinda making me wonder if I'll ever go to the movies again... haha

Crone

Ya, I just paired with a dolby atmos 5.1.4 setup and holy feck. I feel like I've been living in the dark ages for the past few years, as this is all brand new tech to me. HDR 4k movies with that 3d sound is kinda making me wonder if I'll ever go to the movies again... haha
Been looking at available movie choices, and I'm not all that impressed. I'm not a huge movie guy though.

spronk

FPS noob
The 2160p blu ray rips of deadpool, mad max, star trek beyond, secret life of pets, lego movie / batman, dark knight, and blade runner are all spectacular. cartoons really pop in 2160p.

Crone

The 2160p blu ray rips of deadpool, mad max, star trek beyond, secret life of pets, lego movie / batman, dark knight, and blade runner are all spectacular. cartoons really pop in 2160p.
Yep, the Secret Life of Pets and Star Trek are the ones I've gotten already. At the moment, I only have a 64gb thumb drive, so I've been having to do a lot of copying/paste, but I'm on Amazon right now looking at USB 3.0 hard drives.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
The only problem with using a USB drive to play 2160p HDR files through the TV is that the TV won't send Atmos to a receiver - it doesn't have the bandwidth. So you get HDR and smooth playback but only standard surround sound (although all receivers will up mix up an atmos effect)

The problem with using a PC to play back HDR is that Windows HDR implementation isnt perfect. It's a case of installing software e.g. MPC with MadVR and configuring everything properly, and making sure gfx card settings are right too. There's just too many variables to tweak to make sure the image is being displayed as it should, whereas the USB method is plug and play

Could you plug a HD docking station directly in to the TV?

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

I bought Life yesterday, and while the film is mediocre, the picture at atmos experience was spectacular. Genuinely as good as any IMAX experience without the smells.

Fuck, even the Dolby atmos test disk is awesome

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The only problem with using a USB drive to play 2160p HDR files through the TV is that the TV won't send Atmos to a receiver - it doesn't have the bandwidth. So you get HDR and smooth playback but only standard surround sound (although all receivers will up mix up an atmos effect)

The problem with using a PC to play back HDR is that Windows HDR implementation isnt perfect. It's a case of installing software e.g. MPC with MadVR and configuring everything properly, and making sure gfx card settings are right too. There's just too many variables to tweak to make sure the image is being displayed as it should, whereas the USB method is plug and play

Could you plug a HD docking station directly in to the TV?

Some of the newer Tv's pass Atmos through the ARC HDMI port. I know the TCL TV I was shilling does that and it''s a $600 tv.

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
My 63 inch Plasma is getting old in the tooth and has a red static bar that shows against white pictures (like snow scenes).

I'm having a new house built and thinking about doing a 70-75 inch 4k, but this new tech/hdr/fake hdr/dimming zones/panel type etc just hurts my brain.

So far I feel like the 2016 Vizio M is the best looking bang for my dollar. But would appreciate any recommendations.