HDTVs

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I know the tweet says LG, but isn't Trusted Name Brand the actual name of the Fry's label? I don't see anything indicating that is actually for an LG TV in the ad.

I mean, it doesn't matter to me since I just bought a Sony, but just looking out for my bros.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I know the tweet says LG, but isn't Trusted Name Brand the actual name of the Fry's label? I don't see anything indicating that is actually for an LG TV in the ad.

I mean, it doesn't matter to me since I just bought a Sony, but just looking out for my bros.

Fry's does this a lot to get you into the store. Couple weeks ago they had a "trusted name brand" av reciever with atmos for $200 that was a Denon. You can usually figure out what the brand is ahead of time by just searching for that price online and inputing your promo code till it works.

Siliconemelons

I still stand by my LG and I love it. My parents have a samsung and it is nice - no doubt... I just have a place in my heart for LG... I had their palmtop PC that ran windows CE in middle school... they bought and continued life of WebOS my favorite mobile OS... and they are the ones really pushing advancement of OLED technology

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
decent deals on samsung TVs if you have a best buy credit card, 16% back as rewards plus sale like KS8500 65" for $1700 - 272 rewards, etc
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/my-bby-cc-rewards-evn43129?cmp=Promo

I have a ks8000, not as great as the LG OLED but pretty good especially for gaming

Two questions:

1) What does the 16% back mean?

2) I've been using the Steam Link and now the Nvidia Shield on an older Samsung display, do you have any experience with that on your display? I still feel like the control latency is too much for games like Doom etc when I stream from my PC to Shield.

spronk

FPS noob
Two questions:

1) What does the 16% back mean?

2) I've been using the Steam Link and now the Nvidia Shield on an older Samsung display, do you have any experience with that on your display? I still feel like the control latency is too much for games like Doom etc when I stream from my PC to Shield.

you need a best buy credit card, you get back 16% as reward zone points (which you can use on future purchases, so its not exactly cash) when you use it on Samsung stuff this week at BBY

i don't use steam link or anything, my main TV is attached right to my PC as 3d monitor. i imagine your problem is wireless latency, going full wired in the house would help a lot imo

• 1Like

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
If you are using the tv for gaming you should wait for the 2018 models with hdmi 2.1 to get the big bandwidth increase. Xbox one x is coming with hdmi 2.1 from what I read and it allows you to go past 4k 60 frames per second

• 1Like

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
So I'm finally going to buy that 65" TV around black friday or in the pre-christmas amazon sales.
I was always partial to Samsung, anything wrong with that or are they still among the better picks?
Any brand to stay the fuck away from?

I'm not looking at the fancy 4k$ OLED TVs, I'm aiming closer to 1,000 - 1,500 € for an UltraHD with as many HDMI inputs as possible and maybe optical out if possible. (optical out in that case means that whichever HDMI signal the TV receives, I can route through the optical to my home cinema thing? I'm obiously not a pro at this. up until now I have the PS4 hooked to the home cinema and everything else is just the TV speakers)

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So I'm finally going to buy that 65" TV around black friday or in the pre-christmas amazon sales.
I was always partial to Samsung, anything wrong with that or are they still among the better picks?
Any brand to stay the fuck away from?

I'm not looking at the fancy 4k$ OLED TVs, I'm aiming closer to 1,000 - 1,500 € for an UltraHD with as many HDMI inputs as possible and maybe optical out if possible. (optical out in that case means that whichever HDMI signal the TV receives, I can route through the optical to my home cinema thing? I'm obiously not a pro at this. up until now I have the PS4 hooked to the home cinema and everything else is just the TV speakers)

How old is your audio receiver and does it have HDMI inputs? Model number if you have it. HDMI is superior for sound via arc channel from the tv then optical is why I am asking. Also stay away from LG budget LED tvs that are rgbw.

Vizio, Samsung, LG, Sony are all good choices for what you want. The time frame that you chose for buying it and the fact you want a 65" pretty much eliminates OLED. I doubt it if QLED by Samsung will also drop that low by Black friday.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
How old is your audio receiver and does it have HDMI inputs? Model number if you have it. HDMI is superior for sound via arc channel from the tv then optical is why I am asking. Also stay away from LG budget LED tvs that are rgbw.

Vizio, Samsung, LG, Sony are all good choices for what you want. The time frame that you chose for buying it and the fact you want a 65" pretty much eliminates OLED. I doubt it if QLED by Samsung will also drop that low by Black friday.
The current audio "system" is a JVC TH-L1 I got years ago to have 5.1 sound on the PS3 and it's alright, but a bit small. Used to be in a much smaller room, now you have to turn the volume up to 45/50 if you want to hear something. Going to be replaced sooner or later but it cost me 150€ or something like that so it's no big deal. It does have two HDMI inputs and one optical.

I'm sort of a noob at this av equip stuff if you haven't noticed by now. Currently the setup is:

Playstation --> JVC audio video thing --> TV

I was wondering if I can just have everything input straight into the TV and route the sound from there to the receiver. I may have a knot in that line of thought and I fear that's not how this is done. So in the end I'll have to fuck around with three remotes or something like that and the wife will not use the equipment because it's too cumbersome.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
The current audio "system" is a JVC TH-L1 I got years ago to have 5.1 sound on the PS3 and it's alright, but a bit small. Used to be in a much smaller room, now you have to turn the volume up to 45/50 if you want to hear something. Going to be replaced sooner or later but it cost me 150€ or something like that so it's no big deal. It does have two HDMI inputs and one optical.

I'm sort of a noob at this av equip stuff if you haven't noticed by now. Currently the setup is:

Playstation --> JVC audio video thing --> TV

I was wondering if I can just have everything input straight into the TV and route the sound from there to the receiver. I may have a knot in that line of thought and I fear that's not how this is done. So in the end I'll have to fuck around with three remotes or something like that and the wife will not use the equipment because it's too cumbersome.

Why can't you do JVC audio > TV? If everything is hooked directly into the TV, then the audio should default to the JVC, I'm assuming, soundbar.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Why can't you do JVC audio > TV? If everything is hooked directly into the TV, then the audio should default to the JVC, I'm assuming, soundbar.
Well I have no idea if that works. The TV has four HDMI inputs, the sound system only has two.

I'll draw a picture sometime.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Well I have no idea if that works. The TV has four HDMI inputs, the sound system only has two.

I'll draw a picture sometime.

Buy one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DJI0TJQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?tag=slickdeals09-20&ascsubtag=f8b8bfa298f111e79a17363f2c00ba5d0INT&smid=A19R3BN6ZSO9A1&psc=1&sdsrc=staff&keywords=hdmi switch
Run everything to the HDMI switch input.

Switch output to TV > HDMI 1.

Run optical output from TV to soundbar.

EDIT: there may be other ways to do it, but this is an easy and cheap alternative.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Just so no-one misses out, I posted a link in the Home Theater thread above about getting a 65'' LG OLED B7A for $1700.00. I'm too lazy to post a link but it's literally the most recent page. I just don't want anyone to miss out on this price. I'm sure it will go down around Black Friday, but retail for this set at Best Buy is currently 2999.99

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Buy one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DJI0TJQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?tag=slickdeals09-20&ascsubtag=f8b8bfa298f111e79a17363f2c00ba5d0INT&smid=A19R3BN6ZSO9A1&psc=1&sdsrc=staff&keywords=hdmi switch
Run everything to the HDMI switch input.

Switch output to TV > HDMI 1.

Run optical output from TV to soundbar.

EDIT: there may be other ways to do it, but this is an easy and cheap alternative.
Would that be the same as having one of the fancy Samsungs with the "one connect" box? Just put everything into the HDMI inputs and have one optical or HDMI output go to the sound system (which in itself is due for an overhaul but there's only so much "fun money" per year)

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Would that be the same as having one of the fancy Samsungs with the "one connect" box? Just put everything into the HDMI inputs and have one optical or HDMI output go to the sound system (which in itself is due for an overhaul but there's only so much "fun money" per year)

Yes. These switches have 3-5 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output.