HDTVs

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Forgot to mention that the settings are quite crisp out of the box. For the HDR content I’ve been using Cinema and for regular 1080p I’ve been using either the HDR medium or ISF Dark settings. From what I’ve read over at AVS forums from the psychos over there, the setup is pretty good out of the box. Rtings.com also has some pointers if you feel like fucking around with it.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Showed up, got the stand on, initial boot up and Plex installed with about 5 minutes of a 1080 rip played before having to leave. Outer box was a bit crumpled in the corner but inner box was super padded and in perfect shape. Everything is good so far outside of realizing no way can I take the plasma off the wall by myself (kids way too little to be helpful still). Will have to bribe someone with beer and planet earth to come on over and help out.

20171003_165323.jpg

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Holy shit this TV is amazing with native 4k content on Netflix and even does an incredible job up scaling some of my ancient rips via Plex out of the box. My oldest kid (who fortunately/unfortunately is at an out of state college so no help with getting the plasma down) broke a Disney DVD 15+ years ago trying to take it out by herself so ripped everything I had using handbrake (I think) and popped it on a modded original Xbox so that wouldn't happen again but those rips still make up a huge chunk of my digital library so I'm pretty happy it handles that old stuff well. Can't wait to see what it does with Planet Earth 2 on the Xbox S. Any recommendations on streaming/physical content? Saw there was a Blade Runner 4k HDR blu ray but really hard to justify buying that movie for probably the 5th time again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I recently picked up an Open Box from Fry's Electronics for a great deal of the LG OLED55C6P I think. 2016 Curved screen.

LGs native apps do include Plex, but does not support one of the new formats. I was wondering why the hell movies I was playing were buffering so bad, and it turns out because it was having to transcode down to 1080p from 4k.

Just went and looked up my reddit troubleshooting posts... LG native Plex app won't play h.265 files, and so it has to transcode them to h.264. I don't even know what those are, but it was messing stuff up for me.

Also, right out of the box, you should be calibrating your colors to make them look even better!

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Holy shit this TV is amazing with native 4k content on Netflix and even does an incredible job up scaling some of my ancient rips via Plex out of the box. My oldest kid (who fortunately/unfortunately is at an out of state college so no help with getting the plasma down) broke a Disney DVD 15+ years ago trying to take it out by herself so ripped everything I had using handbrake (I think) and popped it on a modded original Xbox so that wouldn't happen again but those rips still make up a huge chunk of my digital library so I'm pretty happy it handles that old stuff well. Can't wait to see what it does with Planet Earth 2 on the Xbox S. Any recommendations on streaming/physical content? Saw there was a Blade Runner 4k HDR blu ray but really hard to justify buying that movie for probably the 5th time again.

Planet Earth 2 is quite incredible. I haven’t been able to justify any other movies yet. Signed back up for Netflix to take advantage of the UHD content. Never thought streaming could look this good. Not sure I can justify any $35 Blu-ray’s that I’ll only watch once or twice. Currently on the look out for some reference type material, would be willing to part with cash for the best content out there.

• 1Like

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
One thing I didn't realize until the ps4 said hdr not supported on your tv is you have to manually turn on 4k/hdr in the tv settings under the hdmi ports. Turned that on and everything is gravy now.

• 1Solidarity

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
One thing I didn't realize until the ps4 said hdr not supported on your tv is you have to manually turn on 4k/hdr in the tv settings under the hdmi ports. Turned that on and everything is gravy now.

It’s absurd that “Ultra HD” isn’t turned on by default. Take a gander at this if you get bored for some ideas. I followed the first few steps, but I actually like the majority of the default settings. Mainly turning down the OLED brightness from 100 to something reasonable - 50. LG C7 OLED TV Calibration Settings

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Anyone interested in calibration should either pay a Pro to do it, or at the very least calibrate black levels.

The necessary files are on avs forums. I've just ate myself into a coma and can't be bothered to link, might do it later x

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Anyone interested in calibration should either pay a Pro to do it, or at the very least calibrate black levels.

The necessary files are on avs forums. I've just ate myself into a coma and can't be bothered to link, might do it later x

I disagree. ISF calibration isn't really needed any longer. Just look up the settings on the web and copy it and it should be more than good enough. The days of paying someone $250 to come over, get into the system menu to run color patterns on an overscan on a rear projection aren't really needed any longer.

Siliconemelons

I didn't calibrate shit and I still love my LG...but its not OLED :-( I cry, i cry.

suppose I should go thought some basic settings.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I disagree. ISF calibration isn't really needed any longer. Just look up the settings on the web and copy it and it should be more than good enough. The days of paying someone $250 to come over, get into the system menu to run color patterns on an overscan on a rear projection aren't really needed any longer.

lol? That is assuming that every panel is identical (they're not) and that every panel is being viewed in identical lighting conditions.

I got my TV and looked up some "forum settings" then had a pro come out and do it - the forum settings were way off. He also calibrated my audio set up and the improvement was insanely good - so good that I spent the first evening just listening to music rather than watching anything.

As more and more HDR content becomes available then I might consider getting a HDR calibration done.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
lol? That is assuming that every panel is identical (they're not) and that every panel is being viewed in identical lighting conditions.

I got my TV and looked up some "forum settings" then had a pro come out and do it - the forum settings were way off. He also calibrated my audio set up and the improvement was insanely good - so good that I spent the first evening just listening to music rather than watching anything.

As more and more HDR content becomes available then I might consider getting a HDR calibration done.

I used YPAO and everything sounded perfect for audio. I used settings from the net for my current Samsung TV. Then, my buddy, who is an ISF certified calibration technician but does professional AV installations, came over and told me this same thing - and literally laughs at people wanting to spend 500+ on him coming out to do their configs when they should be able to do it in their sleep via automation and have mostly identical results to what he would do. He looked at everything that was done via YPAO (Yamaha Receiver for all sound detection and configuration - basically a provided microphone that comes with the receiver, run the test, and it sets all your speaker parameters in the receiver) and then the settings on the Samsung I had copied from an Amazon Review (Haha) and then was going to run through his deal - stopped and said, "This is how I would have set it up"

So yeah. Maybe that's not for everyone if you leave the sun blaring into your display, or have track lighting all over the room, but based on what he told me, 99% of it is consumer placebo effect after he leaves. In other words, it's bullshit now.

It was worth it back when RPTV's were around. Not any longer.

• 1Solidarity

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>

I agree that most of the settings on the 2017 are very good. Unless you are super anal retentive about image quality, you won’t be able to see much difference. Some small tweaks here and there are worth doing, but I can’t imagine my black level could get any better than what it is now. The screen is as dark as anything I’ve ever seen.

• 1Solidarity

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I agree that most of the settings on the 2017 are very good. Unless you are super anal retentive about image quality, you won’t be able to see much difference. Some small tweaks here and there are worth doing, but I can’t imagine my black level could get any better than what it is now. The screen is as dark as anything I’ve ever seen.

QUIT MAKING ME WANT GO GO BUY ONE. (I am resisting hard.... for really unknown reasons at this point. Just to see if I can hold out)

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
. The screen is as dark as anything I’ve ever seen.

Well I had to calibrate the black levels myself using the AVSforums files because out of the box the black levels were almost grey and the "near black" banding/jailbars almost immediately triggered me to go to the forums to see if such banding was a fault - turns out there were lots of complaints about near black bands and many 2015 owners were sending their sets back to get replacements - basically it was described as a panel lottery with some sets being better than others and with manufacturing date being a factor.

But yeah, the scene in Stranger Things when it's just Eleven in a pitch black room would be the go-to scene to show off OLED black levels

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
QUIT MAKING ME WANT GO GO BUY ONE. (I am resisting hard.... for really unknown reasons at this point. Just to see if I can hold out)

to put things into perspective, I paid £2300 for a 55" LG 2015 OLED in Jan 16. Some of the prices you guys are quoting ($1200-1300) for newer models is insane

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
to put things into perspective, I paid £2300 for a 55" LG 2015 OLED in Jan 16. Some of the prices you guys are quoting ($1200-1300) for newer models is insane

Well, what is happening is I can call to order a 65" B7 2017 Model OLED LG - New - for $2203.06 tax and shipping included in that price, and then what we do is use our chase vias card price protection - link to one of the scan sites showing it for $1399, and they will price match $500 based on that ad. So I will get this brand new 65" OLED LG 2017 model for an effective price of $1706.66.

Yeah it's getting harder and harder to pass up. But I am also an all or nothing guy. So with this I would also buy a new Dolby Atmos receiver with HDCP 2.2 and HDR pass through with upscaling, and also a 4k player (Xbox One S or Xbox One X) and then I would also want to buy two more speakers for Dolby Atmos. Hah.

I have a problem.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Well, what is happening is I can call to order a 65" B7 2017 Model OLED LG - New - for $2203.06 tax and shipping included in that price, and then what we do is use our chase vias card price protection - link to one of the scan sites showing it for $1399, and they will price match $500 based on that ad. So I will get this brand new 65" OLED LG 2017 model for an effective price of $1706.66.

Yeah it's getting harder and harder to pass up. But I am also an all or nothing guy. So with this I would also buy a new Dolby Atmos receiver with HDCP 2.2 and HDR pass through with upscaling, and also a 4k player (Xbox One S or Xbox One X) and then I would also want to buy two more speakers for Dolby Atmos. Hah.

I have a problem.

Time to remortgage the home to take out necessary funds for a media room re-do!!!!