HDTVs

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
TV has arrived, had my girl send me some photos, outer box looked a bit beat up, but packing seemed to be excellent on the inside. Now I wait in hell at work until I can go home. Will follow-up.

Ok cool. Let us know! (And me especially) Haha

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
TV has arrived, had my girl send me some photos, outer box looked a bit beat up, but packing seemed to be excellent on the inside. Now I wait in hell at work until I can go home. Will follow-up.

Did your girl have to sign for it or did they just drop it off?

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Did your girl have to sign for it or did they just drop it off?

Apparently she did not have to sign for it. I signed up for FedEx delivery services where you can set up preferences. I can’t believe that they wouldn’t have someone sign, what if the box was all fucked up. Thinking of feeling ill to go home early.

73FACFA3-8B14-4613-8C10-7022820D4C04.jpeg
16D6950F-234B-4A75-B940-FC7AC0771ECA.jpeg

• 1Solidarity

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I am about ready to jump the shark here based on everyone seeming to have good experiences. (Well, aside from your box)

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
I am about ready to jump the shark here based on everyone seeming to have good experiences. (Well, aside from your box)

Box in a box, so seems like it wasn’t manhandled too much. I did get a Snapchat of the dude delivering it vertically which is usually a no-no-no.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So I forgot I do not have an HDR receiver. Only 4k :(

May hold off because doing this will now entail upgrading to a PS Pro, a new receiver, and the TV itself. And then, I'll need a 4k player so Xbox One S/X would be needed and I only have a vanilla piece of garbage for the XBox One. By the time all the content comes main stream, I could do all this at once and have newer technology with a current stream of content/games.

Damn though, still love the TV.

• 1Like

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Alright,

Can report that TV box was undamaged, they boxed it up well with a bit of a buffer. TV was unboxed and has absolutely no defect. I hooked everything up and loaded up Planet Earth 2 4k w/ HDR. It is absolutely mind blowing. I haven't seen any issues with banding or anything else reported on AVS Forums so far. Everything went as well as possible. If I can get the CC price protection to finish now, I'll consider this one of my best purchases I've ever made online. The 4K HDR is mind blowing, highly recommend upgrading your receiver when you can. I went with a Denon AVR-3300 a month or so before I purchased this TV in preparation.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I was really hoping you were going to say you hated it. Worst decision of your life. But nooooooooo. You had to go and say that.

• 1Solidarity

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
So I forgot I do not have an HDR receiver. Only 4k :(

Are you 100% sure your receiver does not support HDR passthrough - IIRC this is determined by the HDMI port version

And TBH not getting a new OLED at a bargain price because your current receiver doesn't have HDR is silly lol.

The reality, the streamed HDR content via Netflix / Amazon isn't that great because it is still limited by bandwidth. A solid 1080p WEB rip of a tv show looks as good or better than streamed 4k.

Also, as far as I know there's no way to properly calibrate a TV to HDR content, so you're reliant on the TVs default HDR settings. I have Mad Max 4k HDR and Arrival 4k HDR downloaded, Mad Max looks nice but I'd already seen it. Arrival HDR looks dull and washed out in places

I'm sure a 4k HDR blu-ray disc looks exceptional but I don't own a player and don't buy discs. Same for 4k gaming as I don't play games

Just watching 1080p content on my 2015 LG OLED is more than sufficient because it was so much of a step forward from my old TV

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Well, I am not sure so I am glad you posted. I run everything through my receiver.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ILCS182/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Problem here isn't HDMI 2.0, the problem is HDCP 1.4. From my understanding for 4k blu-rays, I will want HDCP 2.2. HDMI 2.0 will do Ultra HD pass through in 4k, but not HDR (Dolby Vision or 1000) and since I run everything through my receiver (And would like to use my PS4 for Netflix/Amazon Prime) this would pass 4k but not HDR. Another problem is HDCP. So I would want a receiver that supports 2.2, and would also want to invest (Obviously) in a 4k player that supports HDR as well. (Xbox One S or Xbox One X would be most likely the go to - Why Sony didn't ship the pro with a 4k player astounds me - otherwise that would have been a no brainer)

So the one thing that this receiver DOES support is ARC. So I can connect a device to the TV, or use an app on the TV, to send the audio back through my receiver and would get 4k/HDR, but then I lose Switching and defeats the purpose of having it switch through my receiver. Plus I would lose lossless audio (Which doesn't matter in this instance because it's streamed content, admittedly)

But HDCP 2.2 is a deal breaker for the receiver. Because I will want lossless audio tracks when watching a 4k BluRay, and to have that, I will need an HDCP 2.2 compliant receiver regardless. (Or else I'll be watching those 4k movies in 1080p because it won't handshake) And then I also wouldn't have to worry about the receiver passing 4k AND HDR to the set.

Last edited:

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Xbox one S for the price is one of the best players out there. Even if you don’t game it can be used for streaming/playing. Just rejoined Netflix for their HDR content. It was great.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I would probably trade in my vanilla for the S and call it a day.

With that said, I wonder how many people are passing their 4k players through the receiver, which may not be HDCP 2.2 compliant, and not even knowing they are getting a 1080p image instead of a 4k image because without HDCP 2.2 they aren't passing 4k through the receiver and it will get hung up when viewing 4k disc content. (Or streamed content)

• 1Like

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I would probably trade in my vanilla for the S and call it a day.

With that said, I wonder how many people are passing their 4k players through the receiver, which may not be HDCP 2.2 compliant, and not even knowing they are getting a 1080p image instead of a 4k image because without HDCP 2.2 they aren't passing 4k through the receiver and it will get hung up when viewing 4k disc content. (Or streamed content)

No doubt a decent percentage of people out there have not done the leg work to realize this is the case for their setup.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ok so I have another question. Dolby Vision and HDR10. I am seeing receivers that support only HDR10 and not Dolby Vision. LG OLED supports both HDR formats. With that said, are movies coming out with both Dolby Vision and HDR10 formats included on the disc? If 4k movies being sold are Dolby Vision, and an HDR10 only compatible receiver, it will negate HDR being passed through.

Dual Standard?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
and since I run everything through my receiver (And would like to use my PS4 for Netflix/Amazon Prime) this would pass 4k but not HDR. .

I'm not familiar with consoles - but I run Netflix through my 2015 OLED and it works absolutely fine for 4k, HDR and Dolby Digital. I know the PC app or Browser app doesn't include Dolby, 4k, HDR etc, no idea if the consoles do.

If you are running Netflix from TV then you're getting 4k/HDR and it is sending the audio to your receiver.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
It may be specific to the studio production of the movie. With that being said, having two formats is fucking stupid. Just like Atmos and Aura? For height surrounds. I know that the LG I just bought will show that the source is HDR in the upper right as you start playback (which is nice, you don’t need to guess).

• 1Like

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
It may be specific to the studio production of the movie. With that being said, having two formats is fucking stupid. Just like Atmos and Aura? For height surrounds. I know that the LG I just bought will show that the source is HDR in the upper right as you start playback (which is nice, you don’t need to guess).

This is true through both the TVs own apps (Netflix, amazon) and also running thru the XB1S.

• 1Like

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Supposed to be here by 8 tonight. Unfortunately kids have tap and music lessons tonight and ballet and soccer tomorrow so I'll barely be able to play with it until Thursday. 4k Planet Earth 2 blue ray shipment got delayed until Thursday so not that big of a deal. Hoping at the very least to plug the PC into it tonight to see what it can do at 4k and maybe the PS4 Pro to see what Nioh and Horizon look/play like on it. Was really curious to see what Xbox X could do for Forza 7 compared to a 1080ti but ended up refunding the game due to loot crates and cancelled my preorder on the Xbox X since the blue ray play back shouldn't be any different compared to the much cheaper S model.

Threelions Threelions did you happen to see if Plex was available on LG's app site?

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Supposed to be here by 8 tonight. Unfortunately kids have tap and music lessons tonight and ballet and soccer tomorrow so I'll barely be able to play with it until Thursday. 4k Planet Earth 2 blue ray shipment got delayed until Thursday so not that big of a deal. Hoping at the very least to plug the PC into it tonight to see what it can do at 4k and maybe the PS4 Pro to see what Nioh and Horizon look/play like on it. Was really curious to see what Xbox X could do for Forza 7 compared to a 1080ti but ended up refunding the game due to loot crates and cancelled my preorder on the Xbox X since the blue ray play back shouldn't be any different compared to the much cheaper S model.

Threelions Threelions did you happen to see if Plex was available on LG's app site?

Yes it is and I use it myself. Going to need to torrent some even bigger files now though. Pretty much every app I’ve ever used is on there. Haven’t seen dominos app, but I love knowing when Jake throws my pizza in the oven.

• 1Like