HDTVs

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Well, I could easily swing it right now. But, part of me still hopes my wife lets me do this.

home_theater_seating_21.jpg

How about this http://www.avsforum.com/forum/#/topics/1884641

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Yeah it's getting harder and harder to pass up. But I am also an all or nothing guy. So with this I would also buy a new Dolby Atmos receiver with HDCP 2.2 and HDR pass through with upscaling, and also a 4k player (Xbox One S or Xbox One X) and then I would also want to buy two more speakers for Dolby Atmos. Hah.

I have a problem.

yep I did the same, LG 9500 OLED, Denon 3200 and a new i5-6600 PC - then I added 2 KEF t-101 speakers for the ceiling and paid for the calibrator. I also had to pay two guys to come out and mount the TV and do a professional job on the ceiling speaker cabling. Oh and I also bought blackout curtains for my lounge in time for the calibrator visit, that also required paying a handyman to fit the curtain pole.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
yep I did the same, LG 9500 OLED, Denon 3200 and a new i5-6600 PC - then I added 2 KEF t-101 speakers for the ceiling and paid for the calibrator. I also had to pay two guys to come out and mount the TV and do a professional job on the ceiling speaker cabling. Oh and I also bought blackout curtains for my lounge in time for the calibrator visit, that also required paying a handyman to fit the curtain pole.

Someone in this thread needs to watch more DIY videos :)

• 1Like

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Threelions Threelions did you get an extended warranty?
decided not go with a warranty, if it breaks down within a year I’ll go to Best Buy, Buy it, replace it with my broken one and return it. I’ve never bought a warranty and haven’t been screwed yet. Karma is coming ?

• 1Worf

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Don't they match serial numbers so you can't do that?
That’s what they’ll say, but I’ve done it for products in the past and they’ve never blinked twice. I doubt they would open and unpackage the tv to look at it that closely. They likely ship it back to LG to become refurbished or open box. Granted I’ve done this on items only costing $100-500. Never had it with a TV, but I’d sure as hell try.

• 1Solidarity

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
5 year warranty from LG as standard in the UK!

Only thing I am worried about is screen burn. And they do not cover that unfortunately. So I really wanted to get the BB warranty because they cover that - but, unless I buy it there I cannot buy that warranty unfortunately. Does the CostCo warranty cover this? How would I go about getting that warranty when I buy it from Ray?

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Only thing I am worried about is screen burn. And they do not cover that unfortunately. So I really wanted to get the BB warranty because they cover that - but, unless I buy it there I cannot buy that warranty unfortunately. Does the CostCo warranty cover this? How would I go about getting that warranty when I buy it from Ray?
Go to slickdeals and read the thread for the tv that has 300+ comments. I believe the warranty is through someone’s cc provider. Something about squaretrade

Sorry, edit, Here it is LG OLED65B7A $2349 no charge for tax or shipping (screenshot attached) 08-24-2017

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

99% of the time my TV is being used as a PC monitor. I have my screensaver set to come on after 2 minutes and my task bar is auto hidden.

I don't think screenburn is a problem but I do think image retention is - but tbh I have only noticed image retention (eg of taskbar icons) when having calibration slides full screened (eg different shades of grey and black). The image retention goes away when you turn the TV off - they will do a "compensation cycle" which IIRC is cleaning up different things.

Just a few days ago I had a slide up from a HDR calibration pack, it was a dark slide - I used the TV remote to change the picture mode and once I had done you could see the retention of where the TV menu was even though it was only up for a few seconds

I repeat - this is only noticed during slides and it is not a permanent burn

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Went to best buy while the kids were at dance to look at 4k HDRs Blu rays and they had Dredd for $15 that I snagged. Nothing else really of note and especially not at the prices they were charging.

• 1Like

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Went to best buy while the kids were at dance to look at 4k HDRs Blu rays and they had Dredd for $15 that I snagged. Nothing else really of note and especially not at the prices they were charging.

Might plop $10 on Revenant if it gets to that price. Otherwise I’m happy with planet earth 2 and streaming content. I’ll probably bash some 40gig torrents to stream to Plex and see what that looks like. Watched a few episodes of Narcos last night and was very happy with the quality.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
what's the advantage of doing that instead of playing from the PC to the TV?
No real advantage, simply how my setup is. PC is in the office and just have it hard wired to the router. Plex just does a good job of categorizing my content and looks pretty.

Siliconemelons

So I put up 7.1 speakers on the wall and wired them, but my receiver is 5.1 Denon - any real reasons to upgrade other than...well the L and R Middles?

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
So I put up 7.1 speakers on the wall and wired them, but my receiver is 5.1 Denon - any real reasons to upgrade other than...well the L and R Middles?

Depends how old your current receiver is now. I just replace mine which was about a ten year old denon with the AVR3300W. The new audyssey xt32 software they are using now provided wildly different sound than what I had before. Dynamic eq was also much more noticeable. For me, it was worth the jump. Totally depends how bad you want sound out of your other speakers and if you have money to blow.