HDTVs

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I'm still loving my old 2016 model. OLED55C6P. It's 3D. Curved screen. Beautiful.

same with my 55" 2015 OLED, still has HDR but not newer HDR formats like Dolby Vision. It's a bit annoying that LG seem to stop support for the sets pretty quickly - my understanding is that the newer models have received firmware updates to introduce new formats but not for the 2015 range.

Also, BBC released planet earth 2 in 4k HDR but not available for my model.

I think the newer sets also support Atmos on netflix which mine doesn't, and also carry Atmos via ARC - which would mean I could transfer HDR movie rips to USB and play back from the TV and not have to fuck about with getting the right PC software.

Kiki

Log Wizard
I have a Samsung UN55JU650 that I bought for like $400 currently but I'm looking for something a bit better. I'm really just needing something with better blacks. Needs to be 4k, smart and maybe HDR if possible. Something fairly reasonable in price if you guys have any recommendations. No curves needed, 55 inch

Siliconemelons

My non-oled 60" LG 4k HDR is nice - the apps- WebOS keep updated so that's nice. I would only want to upgrade is for OLED, but I don't want to spend the $$

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade my set or not, really torn. Currently have a 55" Panasonic L55WT60, which was their top of the line LCD/LED TV from 2013. I sit about 12' from the TV, so I could potentially upgrade to 65" or bigger I suppose. My issue is I spent $2000 on this TV 5 years ago and TV prices have come down so far it doesn't seem smart to spend that amount again (especially if I'm going to be upgrading again in a few years). In theory I don't have a budget and $3000 or whatever would be fine, but it just doesn't seem like a good investment.

I was all set to buy a 55" LG OLED, but then I started reading about how a lot of people tend to think a bigger set is a better investment than a better set, so I started thinking about going 65". That's when I ran into the stumbling block of thinking spending over $2k on a 65" OLED was a dumb idea, so I started looking into alternatives. I also don't game a lot anymore (especially on my TV), but the threat of burn in is still in the back of my mind. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a Sony XBR65X900E, but I guess that set is still edge lit (really would prefer full array if going LCD, though this set has great reviews) and it doesn't support Dolby Vision (much bigger issue I think). I started going over reviews on rtings and such, and I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a Vizio P65-E1 (especially since it's super cheap at Costco right now), but then I started hearing Vizio isn't so great at upscaling and there's some kind of white line distortion thing going on with a lot of those sets. While 70% of my viewing is probably Netflix or whatever (so the upscaling wouldn't matter much since a lot is available in native 4k), I still use cable for live sports and I can only choose 720p or 1080i on my cable box.

So that's where I am. I definitely want a TV that supports Dolby Vision because everything I've seen mastered in DV has been incredible. From 12' am I better off sticking with 55" or should I go 65"? Should I just say fuck it and pony up for a 65" OLED? I really feel like the Vizio is the best bang for the buck ($1100 at Costco for the 65" right now), but I don't know if I should just wait for the 2018 TVs to come out.

Sequeli

Silver Knight of the Realm
65" is the way to go. I'm in the same situation as you. Current five year old 55" Panasonic TC-P55ST60 is about 12-14' away. I've also had a hard time spending over $2000 on an OLED, but at the same time I won't get the same quality display and true blacks by going with an LED. Viewing angle is also important, and OLED excels in that field. The burn-in possibility scares the heck out of me though, simply because I've had image retention on the plasma from playing 4-5 hours of Witcher 3 at a time. It's always from the damn HUDs in these games. It did eventually disappear, but it took months.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I agree on the 65' > 55'. At that size the LG OLED is king now. Samsung used to have the best value with the KS8000 but LG can be found at good prices now. If you want to go even bigger, Sony has good options at 75' with the 940 series too.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Picked up the OLED55B7 from Costco back in December. I had an issue with the internet speeds and then it went away but recently came back. It will hover around 0.1 Mbps when I check it on Netflix or Youtube. As soon as I disconnect from the wifi then reconnect, I'm back up and running at speed (~50Mbps). Can't use the cable behind the TV because it isn't terminated for the connection so I'm stuck with wifi or a 100' cat5 cable. Anyone else having this issue?

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Time to buy a new TV for me. I have a stand that is rated for 55", possibly 65" .My 2010 Samsung has vertical lines on it that appear and require a cable jiggle every hour or so. I took it apart a few months ago and rigged it to stop by moving a screw to be underneath the board and flex it outward but it's back with a vengeance. I would just replace the board but I can only find them used on Ebay, f that.

I have no clue when it comes to new TVs so I'll have to do some homework. Any quick recommendations on brands/types/etc?

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
I'm in the same boat and from what I've gathered thus far the 65" with best possible picture is going to be the LG OLED line (B7A, C7, E7, G7, etc) but you'll need to be aware of image retention / burn-in and make sure you do the things necessary to take care of it. A good alternative to the LG OLED is going to be the Sony x900e line (x900e, x930e, x940) and while these aren't OLED's, they offer much better blacks, contrast ratio, motion interpolation and brightness than most other LED tv's in that price range.

I've been wavering back and forth myself between the LG C7 and the Sony x930e/x940e for months now trying to decide but have been patiently awaiting the results of RTINGS.com's burn-in test specifically on the C7. Great site for reviews and ratings btw.

TVs : Best
Real Life OLED Burn In Test on 6 TVs

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
I'm in the same boat and from what I've gathered thus far the 65" with best possible picture is going to be the LG OLED line (B7A, C7, E7, G7, etc) but you'll need to be aware of image retention / burn-in and make sure you do the things necessary to take care of it. A good alternative to the LG OLED is going to be the Sony x900e line (x900e, x930e, x940) and while these aren't OLED's, they offer much better blacks, contrast ratio, motion interpolation and brightness than most other LED tv's in that price range.

I've been wavering back and forth myself between the LG C7 and the Sony x930e/x940e for months now trying to decide but have been patiently awaiting the results of RTINGS.com's burn-in test specifically on the C7. Great site for reviews and ratings btw.

TVs : Best
Real Life OLED Burn In Test on 6 TVs

The Sony's are good but the x900e doesn't support Dolby Vision, which I think is a huge feature. The x930e and above are SUPPOSED to support Dolby Vision but, according to AVforums and such, the implementation that Sony went with is basically incompatible with everything (and not supported over HDMI at all, so it really only works with streaming apps built into the TV itself). I think I've basically decided to wait until the x900f comes out and hope that supports DV

spronk

FPS noob
i recommend setting up an alert on slickdeals for the models you want, for example 2-3 days ago the LG 55" B7 was avail for $999 from a lot of Fry's electronics and the 65" C7 for like $1899 I think, which is crazy insane prices, at least $1k discount from regular. Not sure how available it still is
FRY's Instore- LG OLEDC7P Series OLED 4K HDR Smart TV: 65-$1899, 55-$1199 01-28-2018

I bought the 55" B7 last Nov for $1199 from Fry's and have been super happy, the only diff between B7 and C7 is the placement of HDMI ports and the C7 does ATMOS decoding internal speakers, but both pass ATMOS to receivers/soundbars just fine. No burn in issues at all and I use it for all console gaming and streaming netflix or watching MKVs from my PC.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Kiroy, did you ever pick up the Nakamichi 9.2 soundwafe and if so, what are your thoughts on it?

Yes, for the price (just over a grand) it's an amazing system assuming you want a one and done type deal. Wife and I love ours. You can drop the same amount of money to get a start on a 'real' sorround sound system but to get it truly set up it will eventually cost a few grand on the lowest end up to pretty much infinity. Check out the AVS thread on it, overall it gets really high marks from the audio nerds:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-s...2-dts-x-dual-subwoofers-soundbars-thread.html

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
I had bought an x900e Black Friday, I let it do an update then set it aside unplugged for a week and it would never power on again. Took so long for Costco to arrange an exchange I decided to just return it, 3-weeks for delivery & 6 weeks of the box sititng in my living room sapped my interest in the set :/

No idea what the reliability is generally like.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Just joined the LG OLED club, bought the 65" C7P from Fry's Electronics in Tempe for $1899+tax.

They have the 55" for $1199.

Catch is, it's in-store only and you have to ask for the price.

Getting delivered tomorrow, can't wait to start playing Monster Hunter on it =)

EDIT: I bought it with my Citi Card and according to Slickdeals I can try for a $500 price rewind using something like Joe's AV where the 65C7P is being advertised at $1395. If I end up getting $500 back on this purchase I'm going to be one happy guy (already am that I got this at such a nice price).

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
65 OLED C7P delivered and mounted today.

Holy. Fuck.

Just put on Moana for the kids streaming from Netflix, haven’t even changed the out of the box settings and it’s the best picture I have ever seen.

I can never go back.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ya it’s amazing.

Just picked up a tcl throw away tv for my patio for 330 bucks, looks fuckin great, really impressed with picture

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
65 OLED C7P delivered and mounted today.

Holy. Fuck.

Just put on Moana for the kids streaming from Netflix, haven’t even changed the out of the box settings and it’s the best picture I have ever seen.

I can never go back.

Ya they are pretty nuts. Was using an 8 year old mid range samsung 52 inch. The lg's are just fucking nuts.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Ya they are pretty nuts. Was using an 8 year old mid range samsung 52 inch. The lg's are just fucking nuts.

My first big TV was a 65" rear projection that weighed 300lbs and the cabinet was 5ft tall (not exaggerating).

My first LCD, hang on the wall TV was a 51" Sharp that was well regarded at the time.

I've had several much nicer TVs since then but the picture on this is absolutely mind blowing.

How did we ever watch standard def on 25" 4:3s? I'm literally ruined for anything else now which isn't necessarily a good thing! LOL!

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user