HDTVs

Discussion in 'Technology and Gadgets' started by Saladus, Dec 12, 2012.

1. DONOR

Obsidian
    Ratings:
    +46
    It really is an awesome deal on the OLED's, wish they would ship. No Fry's within 900 miles of me so not an option, unfortunately. If I could find a 65" under $1900 I would probably pull the trigger at this point

2. Synj Butt Pellet Farmer
    SUPER DONOR

Synj
    Ratings:
    +13,425
    I expect they will continue to drop down into more reasonable territory as more brands bring out their own OLEDs.

Did what all new OLED owners do and watched Planet Earth 2 in 4k.

It's just a beautiful picture.

3. Luthair Knight of the Realm

Luthair
    Ratings:
    +39
    As far as I know, no one other than LG is making TV sized OLED panels. While they are selling panels to other manufacturers like Sony realistically LG controls the supply so their prices are likely the floor for the foreseable future.

4. SUPER DONOR

grumblethorn
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    Anyone with the LG OLEDs over the last year or so seen any burn in issues? Peeps over on slickdeals are whining about it.

5. Pyksel Rasterizing . . .
    DONOR

Pyksel
    Ratings:
    +187
    That is the only thing preventing me thus far from dropping dime on one. I'm waiting on rtings.com's burn-in testing but if anyone has any feedback, that would be great.

• Solidarity Solidarity x 1
  6. Brikker Trakanon Raider

Brikker
    Ratings:
    +1,315
    Only had mine since early December but haven't seen any yet.

7. Luthair Knight of the Realm

Luthair
    Ratings:
    +39
    Pyksel mentioned it but Rtings has a 20/4 burn-in test on so=me top models including an OLED - 20/7 Burn-In Test: OLED vs LCD VA vs LCD IPS They also have another test running with strictly OLED sets.

It should also be noted that the OLED burn-in isn't traditional image retention, its actually the pixels degrading. You can mitigate it by lower brightness but it isn't reversable (unless you could bring the entire screen to the same wear level)

8. Synj Butt Pellet Farmer
    SUPER DONOR

Synj
    Ratings:
    +13,425
    So I got my $500 credit back from Citi Price Rewind program.

LG OLED 65C7P for $1399 + tax on the original purchase price of $1899.

Fuck me, I'm beside myself.

Keep an eye out for future sales and try and purchase with a Citi card and look for the online dealers that offer too good to be true prices. Apparently Citi will honor it up to $500 if within 60 days of purchase.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Kiroy Marine Biologist
    SUPER DONOR

Kiroy
    Ratings:
    +39,552
    oled is generally not recommended for heavy console gamers.

10. SUPER DONOR

grumblethorn
    Ratings:
    +1,294

I think its max 2500 a year.

11. fris Knight of the Realm

fris
    Ratings:
    +56
    is there any use for a broken lcd tv? we purposely purchased the cheapest 60" for the family room, it rarely plays anything but kid shows now. turned it on the other day and the screen was visibly cracked, you can barely feel it behind the plastic coating at the point of impact. SHOCKINGLY, our boys don't remember hitting it but say they might have.

12. SUPER DONOR

grumblethorn
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    Man kicking myself for not buying the c7p when the price match was so damn low. B7A right now for 1899, just the PP and rewind are garbage.

13. Ossoi Vyemm Raider

Ossoi
    Ratings:
    +1,629
    Had mine for 2 years, used as a PC monitor no issues, although I auto hide taskbar to be safe

14. Xarpolis Life's a Dream
    DONOR

Xarpolis
    Ratings:
    +4,309
    I purchased mine about a year and a half ago. I have a 55", and there are zero burn in issues. I know it's an issue with OLED in general, but I don't keep it on the same image for long periods of time. Like... weeks at a time with no change. So if you ONLY want to play video games with it, that might be an issue. Especially if you only want to play a single game with it. Because then the UI might burn into the screen. So if you're planning on playing the same game for 12+ hours a day for over a month (like using your TV as a monitor to play WoW or something), expect to get some burn in. But if you don't use it like that, you'll be fine.

EDIT: Ok, found my post. It was in September of 2016 that I purchased it.

#1574 Xarpolis, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  15. Sequeli Knight of the Realm

Sequeli
    Ratings:
    +30
    Picked up the LG OLED 65 B7 today for $1899 on eBay. Hoping to PP it down to $1400-1500 in the near future.

• Solidarity Solidarity x 1