HDTVs

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
hard to place my finger on it but when not in sports mode, it seems like I’m not watching a live game. (Like a vcr tape or something) When I throw it in sports mode, it seems live, but there is a lot of jitter and the puck disappears sometimes.

gak

<Gold Donor>
Ah, thanks. A month ago I noticed the puck disappearing on the old led in the bedroom when I was doing some testing, so I turned off all the motion/judder control and the puck reappeared.

I have always watched sports on the plasma with everything disabled so I don't know the advantages/drawbacks of motion control.

After a few hours of testing, maximum de-blur/de-judder settings do clean up 100% of occasional flickering in some scenes of some shows, but add horrible artifacts in some panning shots.

I ended up shutting all that crap off on the new led because my eyes prefer raw movement and the wife doesn't care either way.

I do run samsung's digital clean view setting on auto (enabled) because it removes tons of upscaled artifacts on text and people's faces on the crappy cable channels. Night and day difference.

wwf.gif

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

gak

<Gold Donor>
Sony's new flagships cumming soon:

Sony Z9F TV First Impressions

Interesting to see they went the opposite direction of Samsung's Q9FN- instead of optimizing filters for black levels they filter for better viewing angles.

Da' wife and I sit directly in front, but if we had a big family with sofas all over the room I would have been mad I didn't wait for the Sony.

m.gif

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
So I happened to take a look today and realized that 4k TV's aren't actually overly expensive. Are they worth it? Is the difference actually something you notice?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So I happened to take a look today and realized that 4k TV's aren't actually overly expensive. Are they worth it? Is the difference actually something you notice?

I got a 55" TCL 6 series earlier this year and it has been worth it to me. The only 4K content I have is a few movies on my plex server, but I've been happy with it. I did upgrade from a 10 year old 720p 32" Sony though.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

I have a 2015 model LG OLED, so top of the line in terms of technology. I have Netflix and pirate/torrent everything else, always looking for the best quality 1080p rips and 4k HDR files for the "best" movies.

4k on Netflix / Amazon Prime is not a massive jump over a 1080p blu-ray.

4k blu-ray HDR rips are not a massive increase over a good 1080p blu-ray encode. Sometimes I don't even wait the extra few days it takes for the 4k rips to come out after the 1080p ones, so that should give you some insight into the quality - despite having the TV it doesn't always justify the wait, I'm not sure that 4k rips warrant the extra HD space they take up either.

I imagine it's different if you invest in a 4k blu-ray player.

Part of the issue is the HDR (increased colour range) that a lot of 4k content comes in. My TV has been professionally calibrated for SDR content, and as far as I know there's no way to professionally calibrate to HDR levels, so when watching HDR content there's always the doubt as whether my TV's settings match the intended colour range. Hopefully that makes sense.

So to answer your question, is it something you notice - yeah a little bit. Is it worth investing in - probably not if you get a lower end 4k HDR LED TV. The LG OLED TV's have been purchased by a lot of people on this forum and are frequently available for a decent price. I would say a good OLED makes a bigger difference to your 1080p content than going from 1080p to 4k.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So I have a 65" OLED, obviously one of the best there is, so take that with a grain of salt - but I know people who have TCL 4k HDR 55" and 65" displays and have the same opinion as me.

1) For games (If you have a PS Pro / Xbox One X - it is a HUGE difference. 4k (Whether checkerboard or dyanmic (Don't see a lot of native) while HDR is enabled is absolutely stunning. God of War, Uncharted 4, Last of us Remake, Lost Legacy, and others, are absolutely fantastic and definitely worth it in my opinion if you have those gaming devices.

2) For movies, I now find I want to view all content in lossless audio with 4k kHDR whanever I get the chance (Even if it is only HDR10). Everything pops and is crystal clear. With that said, it depends on your view distance from your display and how large your display is on how much you will notice 4k.

3) Some Caveats: If you have a home theater set up with speakers (5.1, 7.1, 5.1.2, 5.1.4 etc) and are driving your devices through a receiver, it gets tricky and can get quite expensive. Reason being is that to pass 4k/HDR your devices and receiver must have HDMI ports that are HDCP 2.2 Compliant or it will not pass. A way around this is if your receiver and display are capable or Arc, and you plug a device directly into your display and use the Audio Return Channel to get sound back through your audio system.

For my upgrade, I had to get the display, and also the new receiver. (Also some new cables with the bandwidth required to pass 4k HDR). (I then also upgraded to an Xbox one X (Mainly for the 4k / HDR player) and a PS Pro.

All in all, best investment I have ever made currently. Next up I am looking at Atmos (Still). I kick things around for 6 months... lol.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The thing about 4K TVs that I didnt realize is it upscales everything to 4K. Just got my first TCL 55 like a month back when our old 55 took a shit. Less than $500 on Amazon. Anyway, it does the whole" fill in the missing lines shit" and makes everything look like 4K. Which is pretty cool IMO. No its not true 4K blah,blah, some experts will come in here and shit on me, of course its not, but its cool nevertheless.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
That too. And I like that feature as well.

I can only comment with regards to movies when viewing actual discs. The experience from a physical disc on lossless sound l, true 4K and hdr, coming from my Xbox one x (any 4K player with hdr capability works) destroys any streaming content.

Although Netflix 4K hdr does a pretty sweet job.

But there in lies another issue. I can’t find anyone that rents 4K discs. :( So I only purchase the best movies.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I think it's something I might think about come Black Friday. I don't watch a ton of TV, but it would be kind of nice

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have a general question concerning Smart TV's. I tried to play a live stream via CBS and got a web browser not supported message. Is there a way to change a web browser on an LG Smart TV? All my software is up to date.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Upgrading to HDR soon. Thinking in the 49-55 range and current runner up is the Samsung Q6F. Trying to keep it under 1k, but my goal is strictly ps4 pro gaming(Anthem!) and Netflix. I like the Sony's too, but won't be playing at an angle.

Cheers and thanks!

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just got the 65’ LG OLED w7. Previously ridiculously expensive but I think because of the new model coming out the price got slashed here n there where there is overstock. Got mine on eBay for 4K (used to retail for 8k). Pretty damn decent for 4K OLED especially a high end one like this. Look out for discounts if you were ever interested in buying this model

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
I'm not sure where to post this but this seemed the best place. Found a copy of the Christopher Nolan 4k set at a steal and god damn is it incredible so far. Any scene he did in Imax translates beautifully on the TV (2017 LG OLED on an Xbox X). The opening scene to Dark Knight might be the best 4k transfer I have seen so far. It's a toss up between that and Blade Runner 2049 with an edge going to Blade Runner due to the Dolby Atmos soundtrack. I used to use Planet Earth II as my go to example of 4k but this might be the replacement for pure picture clarity.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
I'm not sure where to post this but this seemed the best place. Found a copy of the Christopher Nolan 4k set at a steal and god damn is it incredible so far. Any scene he did in Imax translates beautifully on the TV (2017 LG OLED on an Xbox X). The opening scene to Dark Knight might be the best 4k transfer I have seen so far. It's a toss up between that and Blade Runner 2049 with an edge going to Blade Runner due to the Dolby Atmos soundtrack. I used to use Planet Earth II as my go to example of 4k but this might be the replacement for pure picture clarity.

Where’d ya find it? Sounds right up my alley. Agree with you on all your points. Blade runner is insane with an atmos setup

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Where’d ya find it? Sounds right up my alley. Agree with you on all your points. Blade runner is insane with an atmos setup
Just looked on amazon and they have the most absurd prices for the collection, that can’t be right.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
It was a "manager's open box special" at Bestbuy. My guess is they were using it for their high end speaker/TV section as everything was there and in good order.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Is there an objectively "best" 65" 4K screen? My 55" Samsung SUHD 4K HDR 10bit screen is solid, but two years old, has issues with ghosting, and I'd like a bit more screen real estate.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
The LG OLED models (B7 I think) used to get a lot of praise last year here.

• 1Like

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Check out rtings.com for TV reviews but as it stands, the LG C8 is currently top dog for OLED 4k.