HDTVs

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
View attachment 181379

Trying to figure out what the -VO (video optimized) means exactly. Is it just custom tuned? Are they really charging $1400 for that, or is it something else? I can get a custom color calibration profile for free, and $1600 sounds mighty fine for a C8...

LG C8PUA Series OLED65C8PUA - 65" OLED Smart TV - 4K UltraHD

LG C8PUA Series OLED65C8PUA - 65" OLED Smart TV - 4K UltraHD
You sure those are not those "vaporware" sites that will bait and switch you and not actually send you the TV that you ordered? I remember something about these sites and the best thing they were used for was to have your CC company price match to them, after you bought them from somewhere else. Be careful.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Probably some sort of jacked up display calibration you can do yourself with a $100 calibrator, aimed at people that think their picture quality will improve with $200 hdmi cables

Crone

Hmm... With my Dell discount it's $2513 with tax. At least that's a vendor I can trust without hesitation.
Look into price matching with your CC. A few of them do it. You buy it on the CC, then contact them, and they'll give up to $400 credit back, in price match. That's what those shady sites are good for.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Dell has it listed for $2797. Booked the order for $2083 before tax, $2,255.46 total. Used the OLEDTAX coupon code with my EPP coupon and talking to a chat rep to get it to work together as the website wasn't behaving for me.

Looks like I'll have it on Monday or Tuesday with free 2nd day shipping.

Crone

Dell has it listed for $2797. Booked the order for $2083 before tax, $2,255.46 total. Used the OLEDTAX coupon code with my EPP coupon and talking to a chat rep to get it to work together as the website wasn't behaving for me.

Looks like I'll have it on Monday or Tuesday with free 2nd day shipping.
All to put into your tiny ass room, lol!

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Okay I have a 41" 1080p tv, I generally sit like ~8' away.

If I want to get a 4k since the regular ones are relatively cheap, what should I be looking for? Is this fine?

I'm not looking to go crazy. I don't have any consoles, and tbh I don't watch much tv. It probably isn't even really worth it. It'll just be mostly regular cable, some streamed 4k, and torrents of quality movies (I have symmetrical fiber with no bandwidth caps, so downloading 4k is np)

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

If I want to get a 4k since the regular ones are relatively cheap, what should I be looking for? Is this fine?

I'm not looking to go crazy. I don't have any consoles, and tbh I don't watch much tv. It probably isn't even really worth it. It'll just be mostly regular cable, some streamed 4k, and torrents of quality movies (I have symmetrical fiber with no bandwidth caps, so downloading 4k is np)
No. Go watch a YouTube review of $250 4K TV's. Usually they're badly pixelated causing any text on screen to be jumbled, and they reflect light pretty terribly. If you can get up to $4-600, LG, Samsung, hell, even a Vizio from Walmart, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-...a5X91xqUefEPm92iZbA21AMf-xooHBbIaAgVHEALw_wcB

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
She's here.

20181112_131743.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

4k streamed is about as good as a high quality 1080p blu-ray rip.

I've found that paying for Netflix has replaced my torrenting habit (after 15+ years of pirating all my content). There's too much hassle to get 4K (really the HDR part of 4k content) working effectively on a PC.

I have a 2015 LG OLED TV and I'm yet to be blown away by a 4k movie torrent, so it's doubtful that a budget 4k TV will offer you any real benefit.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on the new TCL 65' yet is that last time I ordered the 55' 5-Series from Amazon the first one came out DOA and the replacement had a huge crack down the screen. It's made me really gun shy about ordering online but I doubt the 65' in box will fit in my SUV.

It doesn't help that the 55' Vizio M that I've had for 7 years still has a fantastic picture and refresh rate that is really hard to beat by even their newer models.

Ok, 6 months later and I pulled the trigger on a Newegg certified refurbished Vizio p65-e1 with a 2 year Square Trade warranty for $970 shipped. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Here is the link if anyone wants to see; I always try to go for best value for the most features that are one step below tip of the line.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
So the TV going completely dark on a black screen, not just black, but dark, is friggen nuts. My last 4K TV had amazing picture but it was an IPS panel, so black screens had the glow of the back lighting resulting in a mild grey with a halo of luminosity. The bars on wider aspect movies are indiscernable in the dark. The picture itself is also mindblowingly better in literally every aspect - clarity, color, saturation, luminosity, depth is almost 3D like from a flat panel. The nearly edge to edge of the screen (like 2mm edge). The picture is also perfect when viewing from almost perpendicular.

I had some concerns over the frailty and thinness of the screen, being about 3mm thick across most of the screen, handling and mounting it required some finesse and delicate touch. But got it up and running without issue. Only real setting I had to adjust was turning on HDR for the HDMI port.

Good call on the C8.

20181112_235310.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

So the TV going completely dark on a black screen, not just black, but dark, is friggen nuts. My last 4K TV had amazing picture but it was an IPS panel, so black screens had the glow of the back lighting resulting in a mild grey with a halo of luminosity. The bars on wider aspect movies are indiscernable in the dark. The picture itself is also mindblowingly better in literally every aspect - clarity, color, saturation, luminosity, depth is almost 3D like from a flat panel. The nearly edge to edge of the screen (like 2mm edge). The picture is also perfect when viewing from almost perpendicular.

I had some concerns over the frailty and thinness of the screen, being about 3mm thick across most of the screen, handling and mounting it required some finesse and delicate touch. But got it up and running without issue. Only real setting I had to adjust was turning on HDR for the HDMI port.

Good call on the C8.

View attachment 182832
Go watch planet earth 2 in 4k! Haha grats man!

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
The scene in Stranger Things when 11 is ported to an empty black space are incredible on an oled

spronk

FPS noob
Grats on the C8, I have the 2017 model and been running strong for almost exactly a year now with 6-10 hours ontime every day (PC/consoles) zero issues, no burn in or anything.

Planet Earth II for sure, the 4K UHD's are amazing. Infinity War is best on Vudu, its the only one thats encoded with Dolby Vision whereas the UHDs are HDR10. DV is slightly better. Netflix and amazon prime 4k streams are pretty great. Blade Runner 2049 is insane, UHD or Vudu. The only game thats kinda fucked is RDR2, I had to turn HDR off on my xbox to make it not look so washed out, hope the game patches its HDR at some point.

Hooking the C8 to a sound system that supports Dolby ATMOS is also fantastic, I have the LG soundbar which is fine but not really comparable to a true 7.1 surround system. I just got tired of all the wires and shit everywhere, but at some point may upgrade back to a real 7.1 system.

Crone

I'm such a noob. It wasn't until a couple days ago that I realized when Dolby Vision pops up in the top right corner of my LG OLED that it means I'm in 4k. Right? I see it on Netflix, and then on my Ps4 it'll pop up HDR when it's just HDR, but not 4k I think.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
My KS8000 is now doing intermittent black screen where the video cuts out for a second or two and comes back. Audio never goes away. Seems very hard to reproduce across inputs or Smart apps. Seems to be a known issue on Samsung’s forum with hit or miss support.