HDTVs

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Not any personal experience with it, but a quick Google is showing that it's an entry level 4k TV. It doesn't get very bright, so HDR isn't going to be impressive, but it does have low input lag, and good blacks, so it's not terrible.

I'm so tired of my 70" Vizio being a piece of shit, that I'm tempted to switch to this one myself.

The V656-G4 is supposed to have Local Dimming and is only $40 more at Best Buy.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm not sure what feature it is but when switching screens like in a game, I'll visibly notice the screen get darker or more bright. It's rediculous. The apps are pretty slow and the built in chromecast gimick is worthless to me. This is all for the model I chose. Chose size over quality, and shouldn't have done that.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Now is definitely a bad time to buy. You risk locking yourself into an HDMI version that won't have a lot of great features useful for gaming for however many years it'll be until you upgrade again.

Yeah that’s a fair point. But at $500 it isn’t that big of an issue. I’d be more worried buying a $3k TV that is already outdated. Also, since this is for my brother he doesn’t do any home theater, AV, VR, gaming, etc

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

So I made a bad decision and bought a cheap Vizio TV, going for size over quality. It's 70" and was $700 or $800 at Best Buy. At 14-15 foot viewing distance, the 55" LG OLED we have wasn't cutting it, according to the wife, but now she's really not happy at all with the Vizio. The entire interface is terrible, compared to the LG interface that we like. It's slow, and Smartcast, or the "built in" Google Cast doesn't work most of the time. It's just shit.

Do all LG TVs have the same interface? I guess we could go in store and find out. I got the LG OLED C6 I think, and it's been amazing. Best TV I ever purchased. Got it on open box for $1200 from Fry's Electronics. I tell the wife the 65" B9 (only went curved version because it was open box), is like $2k and she nearly shits a brick. I'm like yea, sorry, best TV costs money. It's the tech dumb syndrome, and you show the a 65" TV and are like why isn't it $300? Wally world has 65" for $300 so why isn't it $300?!? Ugh.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
So I made a bad decision and bought a cheap Vizio TV, going for size over quality. It's 70" and was $700 or $800 at Best Buy. At 14-15 foot viewing distance, the 55" LG OLED we have wasn't cutting it, according to the wife, but now she's really not happy at all with the Vizio. The entire interface is terrible, compared to the LG interface that we like. It's slow, and Smartcast, or the "built in" Google Cast doesn't work most of the time. It's just shit.

Do all LG TVs have the same interface? I guess we could go in store and find out. I got the LG OLED C6 I think, and it's been amazing. Best TV I ever purchased. Got it on open box for $1200 from Fry's Electronics. I tell the wife the 65" B9 (only went curved version because it was open box), is like $2k and she nearly shits a brick. I'm like yea, sorry, best TV costs money. It's the tech dumb syndrome, and you show the a 65" TV and are like why isn't it $300? Wally world has 65" for $300 so why isn't it $300?!? Ugh.

The TCL 6 series is the TV to get if you want a 65" for around $700 (currently on sale for $600). The picture quality will be better than anything you can get until you roughly double that price and the interface will be roku, which is generally pretty good

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

The TCL 6 series is the TV to get if you want a 65" for around $700 (currently on sale for $600). The picture quality will be better than anything you can get until you roughly double that price and the interface will be roku, which is generally pretty good
Ohhh right! I forgot about those for some reason. Highly rated, and cheap, and often great deals on them. Thanks!

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
What Vizio did you get? Their M or P series used to be pretty good values for picture quality to $ ratio. I just don't see how anything less than a larger OLED is going to outdo a 55" OLED though. Going from a 55" LG OLED to a 70" TCL or Vizio LCD.....honestly should have just kept the OLED.

Crone

What Vizio did you get? Their M or P series used to be pretty good values for picture quality to $ ratio. I just don't see how anything less than a larger OLED is going to outdo a 55" OLED though. Going from a 55" LG OLED to a 70" TCL or Vizio LCD.....honestly should have just kept the OLED.
Still have it! It got moved into the bedroom where we didn't have any TV at all. This is where the wife keeps making comparisons. :)

It was the E-series Vizio, not their better M or P series, which is now the same price I just saw on Best Buy's website. E70-F3 is the model.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Still have it! It got moved into the bedroom where we didn't have any TV at all. This is where the wife keeps making comparisons. :)

It was the E-series Vizio, not their better M or P series, which is now the same price I just saw on Best Buy's website. E70-F3 is the model.

So a 2018 Vizio E series model with less than half the local dimming zones of the 2017 M series, which the 2017 Ms were the best bang for your buck at the time. I think I paid $1000 for a 65" M65-E0 toward the end of 2017, so if you paid $800 recently for a 2018 70" Vizio E series at Best Buy, that was kind of a ripoff imo. If you can get your money refunded, I would do that, and just keep the LG for now. If not, look into a Roku/FireTV/Chromecast for better UI streaming. Otherwise, LCD vs OLED is like going from a good 480p capable CRT to a 720p plasma. It's a denser picture with more vibrancy of colors. Going back to some crappy newb "Hey I just got my first job and I can buy something nice!" TV...nah. And don't let your wife buy the $300 Walmart TV. It's gonna suck but she will say it's fine and you'll divorce, end up in court reciting resolutions and her lawyer thumbing the $100 bills you'll owe.

Crone

So a 2018 Vizio E series model with less than half the local dimming zones of the 2017 M series, which the 2017 Ms were the best bang for your buck at the time. I think I paid $1000 for a 65" M65-E0 toward the end of 2017, so if you paid $800 recently for a 2018 70" Vizio E series at Best Buy, that was kind of a ripoff imo. If you can get your money refunded, I would do that, and just keep the LG for now. If not, look into a Roku/FireTV/Chromecast for better UI streaming. Otherwise, LCD vs OLED is like going from a good 480p capable CRT to a 720p plasma. It's a denser picture with more vibrancy of colors. Going back to some crappy newb "Hey I just got my first job and I can buy something nice!" TV...nah. And don't let your wife buy the $300 Walmart TV. It's gonna suck but she will say it's fine and you'll divorce, end up in court reciting resolutions and her lawyer thumbing the $100 bills you'll owe.
So the 70" E70-F3 comes with 12 dimming zones. The TCL 6 series 65" comes with 140 dimming zones. Wow...

What is the new HDMI stuff, coming out later this year, going to upgrade for me? I'm thinking I may not care about it, and will just go with TCL 6 series? The TCL 8 series looks great, but it's also double/triple the price. :(

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Best buy has the tcl 6 series qled 65 inch for $599 + tax. I picked one up to replace my 55 inch Sony from 2015. You might be able to get the 2018 model for $450;

Please pray for little to no DSE. Also bought BR2049 and the Martian 4k hdr Blu-ray to go with it.

Crone

Best buy has the tcl 6 series qled 65 inch for $599 + tax. I picked one up to replace my 55 inch Sony from 2015. You might be able to get the 2018 model for $450;

Please pray for little to no DSE. Also bought BR2049 and the Martian 4k hdr Blu-ray to go with it.
Awesome. It looks like I'll be able to get store credit from Best Buy where I bought this Vizio. Besides being a bad interface, and bad TV, I've had a lot of mechanical problems with the TV as well, and so with it all combined, I should be able to get store credit from the store manager.

Will be looking at the TCL 6 series for sure.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Awesome. It looks like I'll be able to get store credit from Best Buy where I bought this Vizio. Besides being a bad interface, and bad TV, I've had a lot of mechanical problems with the TV as well, and so with it all combined, I should be able to get store credit from the store manager.

Will be looking at the TCL 6 series for sure.

I have the TCL 65R617 in my living room and the LG 65B8 OLED upstairs in my media room.

The TCL is 90% as good at 1/3 the price. The built in Roku functionality is pretty great too, but I have Rokus all over my house anyways.

Seriously, the OLED picture cannot be topped currently, but if you are just putting it in your living room or bedroom than there is no reason to spend that money unless you are a picture snob.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
So the 70" E70-F3 comes with 12 dimming zones. The TCL 6 series 65" comes with 140 dimming zones. Wow...

What is the new HDMI stuff, coming out later this year, going to upgrade for me? I'm thinking I may not care about it, and will just go with TCL 6 series? The TCL 8 series looks great, but it's also double/triple the price. :(

iirc, hdmi 2.0 is fine for the TVs out now. I wouldn’t be dumping extra money into a high end tv right now unless it’s your main badass TV, and gotta go oled for that. IMO.

Crone

I have the TCL 65R617 in my living room and the LG 65B8 OLED upstairs in my media room.

The TCL is 90% as good at 1/3 the price. The built in Roku functionality is pretty great too, but I have Rokus all over my house anyways.

Seriously, the OLED picture cannot be topped currently, but if you are just putting it in your living room or bedroom than there is no reason to spend that money unless you are a picture snob.
Is the TCL 65R615 just as good? That's what's available right now. The 615 or the 2019 model R625.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
2.1 is primarily for gaming. I think the only big features that normal tv/movie viewing gives are eARC and dynamic HDR or something

Crone

2.1 is primarily for gaming. I think the only big features that normal tv/movie viewing gives are eARC and dynamic HDR or something
Well I game on my TV, but everything that I do now is what I feel like I'll do in the near future and it's totally fine for me?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Bumping from 4K60 to 4K120 and the VRR support will be the most noticeable features assuming the underlying hardware allows higher than 60fps gaming.

Crone

Plan on getting a PS5 or Xbox Series X? You'll want hdmi 2.1 if you will.
When are all the TVs supposed to be out? I'm banking on getting my $800 + $100 warranty money back from Best Buy on this piece of junk Vizio I bought. I don't mind store credit, and can just hold onto it until the 2020 TVs release.