HDTVs

Siliconemelons

Sony MicroLED:

I only made it about 1/2 through - didnt get to what crystal is different other than its microLED - I still think OLED is where people need to focus and stop trying to remake the idea and application of OLED in their own patented way...

I DO however like their "whatever size you want" deal where it is a bunch of squares put together to make the display.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For wall mounts is there anything I should be looking out for? Or am I safe buying the best rated on Amazon that fits my tv size?

I know I'm about 20 years behind the times with mounting TVs but I just never did it...

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I only made it about 1/2 through - didnt get to what crystal is different other than its microLED - I still think OLED is where people need to focus and stop trying to remake the idea and application of OLED in their own patented way...

I DO however like their "whatever size you want" deal where it is a bunch of squares put together to make the display.

I think LG may have struck a pretty exclusive deal with Universal Display Corp the maker of OLEP tech (which is patented). Which is why (I think) you only see LG making the panels, even for other manufacturers.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
For wall mounts is there anything I should be looking out for? Or am I safe buying the best rated on Amazon that fits my tv size?

I know I'm about 20 years behind the times with mounting TVs but I just never did it...
Get one that telescopes, and tilts on both axis (up/down and left/right). Other than that, just find one that supports size, but most importantly weight. They're pretty standard. I got the same one they use in hospitals, just for 65" screens. Works well. $50.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

What acidfly said above, but just make sure to double check your VESA requirements. Weight is the most important rating for a wall mount, as the size only matters for VESA requirements.

Also, check your manufacturer's instructions for the depth of the mounting bolts. Most mounts come with a shitload of different size and depth options, including spacers to help out, but with my 65' TCL I had to go to Lowe's to get bolts that fit the TV to the correct depth.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

I just mounted a 75" at work... the mount I got was 45-75 and the vesa barely just fit (duh lol) - the TV also had its own screws in the back so that was good. the weight rating was 100 ish LB and the TV was 78 or so.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I have a question... What kind of content are they showing on 4k TVs in places like Best Buy? I swear to god I can't get anything like that on my 4k TVs at home!

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I have a question... What kind of content are they showing on 4k TVs in places like Best Buy? I swear to god I can't get anything like that on my 4k TVs at home!

There is lots of HDR content on YouTube and most of Amazon Prime's offerings are in UHD as well.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Starting to get that pre-November / Christmas itch too see if there are any good deals to keep an eye out for. Is the TCL still the go to budget TV? Probably just something in the 55-65” range for my workout room. Could stick it in the guest room but really only have a guest once a year at most.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There's a small chance that Black Friday+ may actually have some good sales for 2019 model TVs that are HDMI 2.0 and not 2.1. For a TV that you simply watch and not game on there's no functional difference.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Anyone have experience with HDR on both an Oled and a good LED mind providing some feedback? Mostly curious how the limited brightness of the OLED affects HDR itself compared to what a normal LED can manage.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have experience with HDR on both an Oled and a good LED mind providing some feedback? Mostly curious how the limited brightness of the OLED affects HDR itself compared to what a normal LED can manage.

Yeah I do.

Basically we bought our daughter and her husband a Sony 65" HDR Non OLED display, I have an LG B7 65" OLED. Note though that these models are two years old, LG OLED B9, on paper, is going to be 614 nits which is comparable to LED's in the Sony line (These two brands are my only experience in comparison)

Color Saturation was equal/on par when I calibrated them both. The big difference here is Dolby Vision support for HDR on the LG OLED (I am sure by now most LED's are providing Dolby Vision support through Frimware updates) and with Netflix supporting Dolby Vision (Through appropriate pass through devices you also need to make sure support it) the quality is simply stronger over HDR10. Games are all HDR 10 currently. If you do not have a passthrough device, the Netflix app in the LG OLED can arc back to a receiver and also pass through 5.1/Atmos.)

The biggest draw for the OLED is if you watch 4k physical. If you have a movie that supports Dolby Vision, A player that supports it, and a set that supports it, the picture is amazing with perfect blacks. (And also Dolby Atmos) The drawback for OLED and most of these sets are typically a 60hz refresh rate and if you watch sports you can notice the lack of fluidity. Where as a 120hz LED doesn't have this issue.

As far as HDR by itself though, the quality is equal in my subjective opinion as LED. Based on your timeline though (If you are looking) at this point I would wait for HDMI 2.1 sets to hit mainstream.

Do you have a couple models you are comparing currently?

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
As far as HDR by itself though, the quality is equal in my subjective opinion as LED. Based on your timeline though (If you are looking) at this point I would wait for HDMI 2.1 sets to hit mainstream.

Do you have a couple models you are comparing currently?

Nothing to compare. Getting an OLED to use as my main monitor and TV is on my list of options, and the only thing I can see that might be a negative (outside of burn-in prevention efforts) is that the HDR is limited. Mostly I don't know if the difference between 600nits and 1k+ is worth worrying about.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Nothing to compare. Getting an OLED to use as my main monitor and TV is on my list of options, and the only thing I can see that might be a negative (outside of burn-in prevention efforts) is that the HDR is limited. Mostly I don't know if the difference between 600nits and 1k+ is worth worrying about.

Yeah I would say not. With games that do HDR the right way, the difference between 600 and 1k when you are adjusting the sliders is one or two notches before it tops out and you cannot see the difference in the graphical example anyway. With that said though, I would definitely wait until the OLED of your choice ships with HDMI 2.1 at this point - HDCP 2.3 will pop up in your head but that will be for 8k content and I do not think we will see that before you buy another OLED.

For me on the burn in issue, the B9 has some corrections of that so it isn't as impactful. I have a B7 and haven't had the issue yet after 2 years. However, just to make sure (From someone who never buys warranties) I did get the 5 year replacement plan through Best Buy which covered burn in. It was $599, but when spending $2500 at the time on the set, I wanted to make sure I was covered just in case.

The true blacks are absolutely fantastic though. It is going to be VERY hard to go back if I ever have to at this point.

(Looks like the B9 has that, but also G-Sync support) thats huge. B9 on sale at BB right now for $2299. (65")

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah I would say not. With games that do HDR the right way, the difference between 600 and 1k when you are adjusting the sliders is one or two notches before it tops out and you cannot see the difference in the graphical example anyway. With that said though, I would definitely wait until the OLED of your choice ships with HDMI 2.1 at this point - HDCP 2.3 will pop up in your head but that will be for 8k content and I do not think we will see that before you buy another OLED.

For me on the burn in issue, the B9 has some corrections of that so it isn't as impactful. I have a B7 and haven't had the issue yet after 2 years. However, just to make sure (From someone who never buys warranties) I did get the 5 year replacement plan through Best Buy which covered burn in. It was $599, but when spending $2500 at the time on the set, I wanted to make sure I was covered just in case.

The true blacks are absolutely fantastic though. It is going to be VERY hard to go back if I ever have to at this point.

(Looks like the B9 has that, but also G-Sync support) thats huge. B9 on sale at BB right now for $2299. (65")

Yeah, I have no interest in buying any TV that isn't HDMI 2.1, and I'll be holding off until GPU's have it as well so they'll be widely available at that point.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Samsung dropped prices again following some other retailers revealing their sale prices. RU8000 55" down to $550 for example so it looks like there may be a warehouse clearance battle to offload all the HDMI 2.0 models they can by end of year.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
55" C9's dropping down to $1800cad for black friday. I'm so damn tempted. I wouldn't even hesitate if there were GPU's with hdmi 2.1 connections.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
If I want to upgrade to a 4k tv on the lower end, am I good with this or is there something else I should be looking at?

TV isn't a huge priority for me, I'm mostly doing it because the costs are cheap enough, and I guess it would be nice to have 4k.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
55" C9's dropping down to $1800cad for black friday. I'm so damn tempted. I wouldn't even hesitate if there were GPU's with hdmi 2.1 connections.
The new LGs are one of the best tvs to game on. I don't think I could ever go back to a monitor or any other tv. If you can get it cheap then it's a must buy. I figure next gen cards will have hdmi 2.1 so I'm not worried about that.