HDTVs

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Finally got the 85XBR900h delivered yesterday. What a beaut. Lanx Lanx was right about it being tough to manage, my upper back has been sore as hell since yesterday when I took it upon myself to pick it up and put it on the stand. He was wrong about the stand stability though, shit is solid as a rock. There's a part of me that wishes I went with an OLED, but I think that this was the right move for a number of reasons, one being I got a sick price on this, another being that I tend to leave it on Fox News all day while I work to the point that it would be almost guaranteed burn in. I've watched Dolby Vision rips so far of The Matrix, Skyfall and Hell or High Water. Skyfall and Hell or High Water were both fantastic. The Matrix I wasn't too impressed by - the combination of outdated effects, overuse of filters, a (comparatively to modern action flicks) low budget and the heightened resolution and image quality got me to the point where I felt like I was "seeing through" the illusion of the movie, and was just watching actors read their lines.

Anyway definitely recommend the 85" 900h to anyone looking to have a fucking movie theater in their living room at a reasonable price. I'm sure the other models are fine too but I think you need to go 70" minimum to get anything out of 4K resolution.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Ordered a LG CX. My body is ready, I’ve never had a high end tv before.

Xexx Xexx this is going to be my pc monitor. Amazon has a $47 off coupon for some reason, plus points and 5% back it’s <$1400 for me. Got the 48”.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Am I fucked with burn in on an OLED? My 55" LG OLED from end of 2017 has slight burn in of the stupid yellow IMDB logo from the Amazon FireTV home screen right in the bottom-middle of the screen. Can only see it on light backgrounds but still irritates me.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Am I fucked with burn in on an OLED? My 55" LG OLED from end of 2017 has slight burn in of the stupid yellow IMDB logo from the Amazon FireTV home screen right in the bottom-middle of the screen. Can only see it on light backgrounds but still irritates me.
You can try running a "burn in" remove video but I'm not sure how effective they are. Hateyou Hateyou will be in the same boat using his OLED as a PC monitor.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
The tech for anti burn in has come a long way since 2017.
It's improved, but there's inherent limitations in the technology so burn-in will always be a factor (just like with plasma), and using it as a desktop monitor is the most "just fuck my shit up" move you can make with an OLED.

Deebo

Molten Core Raider
Ordered a LG CX. My body is ready, I’ve never had a high end tv before.

Xexx Xexx this is going to be my pc monitor. Amazon has a $47 off coupon for some reason, plus points and 5% back it’s <$1400 for me. Got the 48”.
Keep us posted on your experience with it! I have really been considering getting one. From what I see people are setting a black wallpaper, hiding icons and auto hiding the task bar.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Keep us posted on your experience with it! I have really been considering getting one. From what I see people are setting a black wallpaper, hiding icons and auto hiding the task bar.
Doesn't sound inconvenient at all.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

I actually canceled before it shipped. I have a big ticket expense with my car I forgot about, and a medical expense. I don’t have a good graphics card yet either so I wouldn’t be able to fully enjoy it yet anyway, not a big deal to wait.

I did set my computer up to hide icons and the task bar to see how annoying it would be and it’s not a big deal. I don’t use icons on the desktop anyways, and the taskbar appears by hovering.

Im not really sure how necessary that stuff is for these newer TVs, I’ve seen people say they’ve played games for several hours on the CX with the UI in a static place and no problems. I guess the pixel shifting or whatever it does is pretty reliable. It does make me nervous for such a high priced item though. I’d be really pissed if I ruined a $1500 TV. I will probably look up more in depth/burn in time before I order it again. Sorry I don’t have a real review!

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I actually canceled before it shipped. I have a big ticket expense with my car I forgot about, and a medical expense. I don’t have a good graphics card yet either so I wouldn’t be able to fully enjoy it yet anyway, not a big deal to wait.

I did set my computer up to hide icons and the task bar to see how annoying it would be and it’s not a big deal. I don’t use icons on the desktop anyways, and the taskbar appears by hovering.

Im not really sure how necessary that stuff is for these newer TVs, I’ve seen people say they’ve played games for several hours on the CX with the UI in a static place and no problems. I guess the pixel shifting or whatever it does is pretty reliable. It does make me nervous for such a high priced item though. I’d be really pissed if I ruined a $1500 TV. I will probably look up more in depth/burn in time before I order it again. Sorry I don’t have a real review!
Get a 900h. Best value in TVs

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Get a 900h. Best value in TVs

Looks but they don’t have any smaller than 55. I use this Tv as a monitor I sit at the desk, or away from the desk ~6 feet. I’d really like a 42” but no one goes that low with the really nice TVs.

Looking at reviews I do see there’s a 950H that goes down to 49” and a 800H that goes down to 43” but it looks like those are 60hz. I’ll dig into them more after work.

Ceowulff

Blackwing Lair Raider
Costco is doing the 65" x900h for 960.00 starting september 30th. Absolutely crazy price, makes it the same as the hisense and tcl models.

• 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Costco is doing the 65" x900h for 960.00 starting september 30th. Absolutely crazy price, makes it the same as the hisense and tcl models.
Yea that's a great deal. 65" is played out though. If you're going with the 900h grab your sack and get the 85". I was able to get mine for $2350 including tax and shipping. One of the few great decisions I've made in my life. Might not be able to get that deal right now but probably Black Friday. Although it looks like Costco might have sold out of the 85" so ehhh I don't know.

• 1Mother of God

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yea that's a great deal. 65" is played out though. If you're going with the 900h grab your sack and get the 85". I was able to get mine for $2350 including tax and shipping. One of the few great decisions I've made in my life. Might not be able to get that deal right now but probably Black Friday. Although it looks like Costco might have sold out of the 85" so ehhh I don't know.

Tell me you live a 900 sq ft apartment.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It’s more like 1050 ft. Plenty of room. I thought it would ridiculous but it actually worked out quite well. Honestly wouldn’t mind another 10”.

When we were in an apartment while building a house I always liked walking around and seeing single dudes with their blinds open with massive flatscreens and sitting 8 feet away.

Not dogging it, I’d do the same. Wtf else is there to do when you have an apartment but watch tv and game. Go balls out on it.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
When we were in an apartment while building a house I always liked walking around and seeing single dudes with their blinds open with massive flatscreens and sitting 8 feet away.

Not dogging it, I’d do the same. Wtf else is there to do when you have an apartment but watch tv and game. Go balls out on it.
It’s honestly fucking great, it’s like having a theater in my living room. My only complaint is that with this level of resolution and clarity sometimes the Hollywood “magic” unravels. For example, I was watching the Matrix and I just couldn’t buy into it with their cheesy costumes and crappy 90s special effects. I was also watching some Game of Thrones season 1 and the armor looked like plastic bullshit rather than actual armor. Hollywood needs to step up their prop game.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
So a friend is thinking about mounting a TV outside on his patio. We're in south florida, so humidity is a thing. It won't be directly exposed to the sun, but it'll get plenty of light. Anything we should consider? Or just buy cheap TCL and expect to replace it every few years?