HDTVs

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
The TV room is 11x22, it's a 65 inch Samsung 2020 QLED and the normal viewing distance is about 8.5 feet away from the TV.
I would just do a sound bar setup. Putting a serious surround system into a space that tight is going to end up very muddy. However if the ceilings are relatively low you could get some decent performance out of the upfiring Atmos speakers some soundbars come with.

There's a good deal going on this Samsung bar right now:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The TV room is 11x22, it's a 65 inch Samsung 2020 QLED and the normal viewing distance is about 8.5 feet away from the TV.
i have a vizio 5.1 soundbar for the bedroom, the viewable is 5ft from 75in tv (i just measured a few days ago)

i recently dug out old logitech x, something 5.1 (yea i actually hung the speakers in the back)

sounds way better

i might upgrade it to the thx logitech 5.1 speakers w/ dual toslink (for the consoles)

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
i have a vizio 5.1 soundbar for the bedroom, the viewable is 5ft from 75in tv (i just measured a few days ago)

i recently dug out old logitech x, something 5.1 (yea i actually hung the speakers in the back)

sounds way better

i might upgrade it to the thx logitech 5.1 speakers w/ dual toslink (for the consoles)
5 ft from 75 inch tv in the bedroom.

My kind of guy.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
5 ft from 75 inch tv in the bedroom.

My kind of guy.
yea its at the base of the bed... but a recliner is there lulz and theres a floor gaming chair in front of that if we want to game together. (cuz gaming on bed w/o back seat is something you can't do when youre 40).

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Debating between a X900H 85" ($2600) or a X950H 75" ($2400). This is for an 18' x 16' room with a lot of natural light and nice views that I won't want to have to block too often, so I'm thinking the smaller 950H is the way I'll go for the 1200 nits and wider viewing angles.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Debating between a X900H 85" ($2600) or a X950H 75" ($2400). This is for an 18' x 16' room with a lot of natural light and nice views that I won't want to have to block too often, so I'm thinking the smaller 950H is the way I'll go for the 1200 nits and wider viewing angles.
The X950h is bullshit. Doesn't even have HDMI 2.1. If you use the Greentoe you can get the 900h for like $2300 shipped.

• 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I would just do a sound bar setup. Putting a serious surround system into a space that tight is going to end up very muddy. However if the ceilings are relatively low you could get some decent performance out of the upfiring Atmos speakers some soundbars come with.

There's a good deal going on this Samsung bar right now:

I looked at that soundbar and my TV does have the Q-Symphony thing that works with it, I just figured it might be a little weak, and there's a lack of rear speakers too.

The rear speakers only come with the 1400 dollar model.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I looked at that soundbar and my TV does have the Q-Symphony thing that works with it, I just figured it might be a little weak, and there's a lack of rear speakers too.

I believe you can buy the rear speakers separately if you want them. $1400 is a terrible price for the 950. It's listed for $1k on ebay. I'd expect it to be on deep discount for Black Friday.

edit: Here is the speaker addon

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I believe you can buy the rear speakers separately if you want them. $1400 is a terrible price for the 950. It's listed for $1k on ebay. I'd expect it to be on deep discount for Black Friday.

edit: Here is the speaker addon

The 950 is kinda tempting at $979. Would I put the rear speakers up on the rear corners of the ceiling or what?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
The 950 is kinda tempting at $979. Would I put the rear speakers up on the rear corners of the ceiling or what?
Based on this it looks like the speakers that come with the 950 have up firing drivers so I think you'd just put them on stands or on the wall behind you.

Just saw that it has eARC too which is real nice. Only 2 inputs though on the downside. Also not HDMI 2.1

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Based on this it looks like the speakers that come with the 950 have up firing drivers so I think you'd just put them on stands or on the wall behind you.

Just saw that it has eARC too which is real nice. Only 2 inputs though on the downside. Also not HDMI 2.1

wasn't earc created for dolby atmos? you can't stream greater than 5.1 through regular arc, and i'm pretty sure earc means it's hdmi2.1 then.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
wasn't earc created for dolby atmos? you can't stream greater than 5.1 through regular arc, and i'm pretty sure earc means it's hdmi2.1 then.
eARC is required in the HDMI 2.1 spec I believe, but eARC is also available with some HDMI 2.0b setups. The specs show the video output of the soundbar as 4k 60fps, which would be HDMI 2.0b.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
eARC is required in the HDMI 2.1 spec I believe, but eARC is also available with some HDMI 2.0b setups. The specs show the video output of the soundbar as 4k 60fps, which would be HDMI 2.0b.
well... i'm still gonna go and drill a hole in my ceiling to route my cables over.

i would have routed it through the drywall and up the attic, but the wall i'm on is insulated and in the corner, so like only a fucking mouse would be able to fit up there

and i guess if i wanted to, i could just hook these up to the ceiling if i wanted also
82c7a2eeb98f0da1bdaeda75365b6e97.png

i don't know wth these are, but they were only 26bucks cuz the box looked like it went through a meat grinder and then it was rained on, otherwise they look mint.

and i guess i use this
931d13378d4c125b83a079858d8f34bc.png

to hook it up to the pc and have addin 7.1, and just let the realtek handle it

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Costco gonna have the X900h 85" for $1970 starting Nov 20th... may have to wait for this deal.

1604435886234.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

so my wife did not like that we have speakers coming out the back of the room (which is basically in our bedroom, so it's the headboard, lulz, i don't blame her)

and i got that samsung wireless on the way, i'll tell you how it works, i still have the old wired 5.1 installed, to compare it to.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yea, so so far the samsung sourround sounds almost as good as the basic 5.1 i have on

gonna try to see if adding their dedicated wireless rear speakers will do the trick

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
Ouch I spent way too much!

Picked up Sony A8H 65 Inch for my home office as well as Sonos sub, beam, and two pack ones. Also added two pack of ones and sub to my living room as well that currently has 75 Vizio Quantum X with the beam (opted for LED there as wife leaves still images on the TV all the time). Gotta say really wish I would've got Sonos earlier. Love the multi room music, airplay, etc. OLED is gorgeous with the PS5 although I can only play an hour or so every few days with work...

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Anyone snagging any good TV deals this year? TCL 65 still the sweet spot?

Brikker Brikker did you end up doing anything? The 65" X900h is still $998 on Amazon and TCL 6 is around that. There's a 75" X800H for $998. Would rather hit the $500 mark though for a cheap 65" throw away set.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
This is a great 50 percent off deal.

• 1Worf

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I was looking at an OLED demo at Costco the other day and, man, do they look good with the super black. I just got a high outlet installed above my current living room TV location and want to hang something up so I am looking for one. What do you guys typically do for sound systems when the TVs are mounted high? Speakers on pedestals or can you mount something on the TV mount? I don't want to stick more stuff in my walls.