HDTVs

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Is this where Projectors get discussed?

If yes, any thoughts on the Short Throw Projectors made by HiSense or XGIMI?

Those are just two examples, I know there are a lot of models. I just like how simple the setup is with only needing to be a foot or less off the wall and the built in speakers. Supposedly the sound is pretty solid on these and I have a smaller family room I would like to set one up in.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is this where Projectors get discussed?

Those are just two examples, I know there are a lot of models. I just like how simple the setup is with only needing to be a foot or less off the wall and the built in speakers. Supposedly the sound is pretty solid on these and I have a smaller family room I would like to set one up in.
I went ahead and dumped a ton of money into a surround sound system for my projector setup. This small town company named "Sounds Unlimited" set it up for me and I think altogether it ran about 7ish, maybe 8k, iirc and after reviewing the parts, the labor wasnt very expensive and it looks and sounds fantastic. But after 3 years of having that in the basement, it gets like.. no use. My nieces come over and they love watching movies down there. Or romantic nights with the g/f and I can turn the fire place on if Im feeling fancy. But Im not a romantic and I hate my nieces, so thats just pointing out how often it gets used. Maybe your family time will be different, idk. I think media rooms are dated, personally.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I went ahead and dumped a ton of money into a surround sound system for my projector setup. This small town company named "Sounds Unlimited" set it up for me and I think altogether it ran about 7ish, maybe 8k, iirc and after reviewing the parts, the labor wasnt very expensive and it looks and sounds fantastic. But after 3 years of having that in the basement, it gets like.. no use. My nieces come over and they love watching movies down there. Or romantic nights with the g/f and I can turn the fire place on if Im feeling fancy. But Im not a romantic and I hate my nieces, so thats just pointing out how often it gets used. Maybe your family time will be different, idk. I think media rooms are dated, personally.
I think it would get a fair amount of use here. I have two boys and I think they would love playing video games on a 150" screen. I would say as a family we watch 80% of movies in this room already on 65" TV. Starting a basement remodel next week and when it is done the boys will actually be moving down stairs, which I think means we would use it even more often. In the same room we have our wood burning insert so we love to get cozy as a family in the Winter time down there. In the Summer it is cooler than main floor living room. Yes we have AC, but this is an older house and our main floor living room has vaulted ceilings and there is maybe 8 inches from ceiling to roof. Don't get me wrong it is still comfortable on the main floor, just more comfortable down stairs.

So yeah, I think it will get more use than your room. It isn't now and won't really be a "media" room, it is just a family room and bigger screen will mean more family time. Also, I am looking to go cheaper hence the short throw with built in speakers.

Lastly, I hate your nieces too.

• 1Worf

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I think my A80J has ruined streaming for me. Picture on it is so good on a lot of streamed content the digital compression noise/artifacts stick out like a sore thumb. Really reinforces physical media(or quality rips) for media you truly enjoy.

One thing I do fucking hate is being blasted with ads on a $2000 tv. That and the low end chips they use which always results in a sluggish experience navigating the TVs.

Not sure if it matters but OLEDs like the C1 or A80J are going to have better image quality along with being less involved(no screen or lighting conditions to deal with). Projectors like that are only worth it if youre going to have a dedicated theater setup with a 85+ inch screen.
The new Samsung tech looking good.

Wonder what the actual real world results are. Half the problem with OLEDs hasnt been brightness, but keeping brightness up over extended viewing due to burn in/retention concerns.

Last edited:

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
One thing I do fucking hate is being blasted with ads on a $2000 tv.

I want to replace my 2016 LG OLED with a newer TV - are you referring to the Android/Google TV interface?

I guess if it bothers you that much you could replace with a Chromecast w Google TV

Daidraco

I think he means the sound is really good on his tv. But when he hears a commercial, it cranks the volume up to 100. At least that’s how I perceive it. I stopped watching anything that had commercials years ago. But my parents are die hard local news and it’a awful how commercials still do it to this day. All that bullshit about auto leveling tech is just that, bullshit. I bought them a nice TV so I know that’s not the culprit.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I think he means the sound is really good on his tv. But when he hears a commercial, it cranks the volume up to 100. At least that’s how I perceive it. I stopped watching anything that had commercials years ago. But my parents are die hard local news and it’a awful how commercials still do it to this day. All that bullshit about auto leveling tech is just that, bullshit. I bought them a nice TV so I know that’s not the culprit.

No, I'm pretty sure he's referring to the TV of the software containing adverts. This is getting increasingly common for TV OS'

Daidraco

No, I'm pretty sure he's referring to the TV of the software containing adverts. This is getting increasingly common for TV OS'
Ahh.. same shit really. The setup I gave my parents, you never even touch the Tv’s OS. Yet, they still do and ya it’s awful. Whatever floats their boat I guess.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I want to replace my 2016 LG OLED with a newer TV - are you referring to the Android/Google TV interface?

I guess if it bothers you that much you could replace with a Chromecast w Google TV
Yes. Literally every TV nowadays serves you ads in their operating system.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I've gotten used to my C1, and even a normal basis I still have moments of man this looks fuckin great. But I was at a friends house today watching Reacher, watching parts I've seen before, and compared to the luck 7 year old TV she has it's such an insane difference I can't even put into words. Just the difference in ability to see things in dark scenes alone is absurd. I've had a lot of moments of was it really worth it, and the answer is absolutely yes.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My C6 OLED received a firmware update and now my picture settings are all different. It’s now just HDR Bright/Low/Game?

I assume game does something with the refresh?

I always try and my TV and had it calibrated before the firmware update but it wiped all those settings out.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
My C6 OLED received a firmware update and now my picture settings are all different. It’s now just HDR Bright/Low/Game?

I assume game does something with the refresh?

I always try and my TV and had it calibrated before the firmware update but it wiped all those settings out.

Your calibrator should have given you a record of the calibrated settings

• 1Like

Daidraco

If you had a reputable company do it, Ossoi is right. They usually also have some kind of contract that they'll redo the settings for free or at a much lower cost if within a certain time period.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Whelp time to upgrade the TV now that I'm finally gonna get a PS5. I've been rocking an LG Plasma since 2009 and the thing has been a workhorse. Still works as well as the day I got it. I'm way out of the loop when it comes to TVs these days. What's the new hotness for primo PS5 gaming?

Malakriss

Whelp time to upgrade the TV now that I'm finally gonna get a PS5. I've been rocking an LG Plasma since 2009 and the thing has been a workhorse. Still works as well as the day I got it. I'm way out of the loop when it comes to TVs these days. What's the new hotness for primo PS5 gaming?
New hotness isn't out yet, QD displays are a few months away

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
New hotness isn't out yet, QD displays are a few months away

Is that going to be worth whatever premium it is over what's the currently available hotness? I feel like with all tech if you're waiting for the next big thing you're in a constant state of waiting because the next thing is always only a "few months" away.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Is that going to be worth whatever premium it is over what's the currently available hotness? I feel like with all tech if you're waiting for the next big thing you're in a constant state of waiting because the next thing is always only a "few months" away.

The 2022 range of OLEDs is almost out - the main advantage being better panels e.g brightness.

I'm not a gamer but my understanding is you need HDMI 2.1 for 120hz and variable refresh rates

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Are you looking at a budget or? What kind of size?