HDTVs

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I think the 55-65 inch range is good. I'd prefer not to pay more the 1k which I heard is easy to do these days.
Default recommendation would be the LG C1, which honestly is a really amazing TV. It's going to run you a little more than that. It's 100% worth it though. I've had mine since June and all the time when I'm watching 4k content or playing HDR games I think to myself how amazing it looks. When comparing to upgrading computer stuff and getting great monitors and usually barely noticing, the TV quality is insane.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

bolok

Molten Core Raider
Default recommendation would be the LG C1, which honestly is a really amazing TV. It's going to run you a little more than that. It's 100% worth it though. I've had mine since June and all the time when I'm watching 4k content or playing HDR games I think to myself how amazing it looks. When comparing to upgrading computer stuff and getting great monitors and usually barely noticing, the TV quality is insane.

Oled all the way. The 22 model year should be coming out soonish, but any of the models from 2019 on are quite good. Yer gonna pay like 1200 or so for a 55, but there are usually decent discounts throughout the year on older models. Also a 48" is a possibility if that works and it's actually cheaper.

Hang on to the plasma tho. Those are the next best thing to a good crt for quite a lot of things that don't warrant or will never be native 4k.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
"Since the term OLED is already widely accepted and understood, Samsung decided to go with the nomenclature 'Samsung OLED TV' to avoid confusion among consumers," a Samsung representative said.
New Samsung QD is model S95B with a 55" @ $2199 and 65" @ $2999, or +$200 over LG's pricing.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

This.

LG C1 if youre gonna game
Sony A80J if you are gonna watch movies/tv

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Some extra technical details coming out for QDs
Sony’s TV with the QD-OLED screen will inevitably cost more, but I’d also expect it to have better image processing — and it supports Dolby Vision, which Samsung continues to ignore because it’s hell-bent on making HDR10+ happen. I’m at least glad that all four HDMI ports are now 2.1 and support 4K at 120Hz. (Samsung’s top-tier LCD TVs can go all the way up to 144Hz this year.)
I didn't get to sample the Samsung S95B OLED TV audio, but Samsung has made some compelling promises about what to expect. Among the features on offer, the set has support for Object Tracking Sound and Q-Symphony with Dolby Atmos. As you might know, Samsung has held out on Dolby Atmos for quite a while, so I'm glad it’s finally here, even if it’s overdue.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Looking for a suggestion:

New location I'm working on, and there is a large space I want to fill up with a massive screen, it can be a matrix of smaller screens. The space is 13.5 feet wide, unlimited height. I'm thinking I want it about 13 feet wide, 16:9 ratio, so it's a little over 7 feet tall, and the diagonal is 179 inches (about 15 feet).

Any suggestions on these types of screens?

Also any suggestions on the software that drives them? Shit where it can play like little video clips, show pics, run ads (for the business), etc?

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Just picked up a Hisense L9 and I need to find an entertainment center for it.

Based on the the manual the back of the projector needs to be 11.875 inches off the wall and the unit itself is 13.5 inches. Based on that I am looking for something at least 20 inches deep so the gap from the entertainment center to the wall is under 6 inches, obviously 22-24 inches deep would be ideal. Height wise it cannot exceed 22.5 inches but could be shorter. Width doesn't matter a whole lot, anything from 42 inches to 100 inches would work.

Any suggestions?

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Just picked up a Hisense L9 and I need to find an entertainment center for it.

Based on the the manual the back of the projector needs to be 11.875 inches off the wall and the unit itself is 13.5 inches. Based on that I am looking for something at least 20 inches deep so the gap from the entertainment center to the wall is under 6 inches, obviously 22-24 inches deep would be ideal. Height wise it cannot exceed 22.5 inches but could be shorter. Width doesn't matter a whole lot, anything from 42 inches to 100 inches would work.

Any suggestions?
While not an answer, my upcoming solution for the same problem is to have a family friend build me a console that fits my specifications for the Optoma CinemaX P2. Didn't have much luck finding consoles, but I'm sure they exist.

Last edited:

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
While not an answer, my upcoming solution for the same problem is to have a family friend who build me a console that fits my specifications for the Optoma CinemaX P2. Didn't have much luck finding consoles, but I'm sure they exist.
Looking at coffee tables now, the depth is a real bitch.

• 1Solidarity

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Looking at coffee tables now, the depth is a real bitch.
Yeah, once I'm done with the schematic of what I want, I'll definitely post it here. Still not exactly sure if I want to do a roll-out tray, or just something static etc. I do absolutely love my P2 so far. UST is nice, especially if you have weird ceiling dimensions.

• 1Like

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Moved and sold our old plasma and promised wife a new one. Figured id just grab all something at Costco . But now I've seen many random threads of people bitching about all kinds of bloat/ bullshit unskippable ads etc.

Any suggestions for a dumb but nice larger tv (not sure size breakpoints but last was a 65 or 62?) within reason on cost though I'll go a little higher than something at Walmart to avoid the above bullshit. We are simple, the cable box and using the google dongle thing to occasionally stream from phone. No media servers or anything complicated.

Just read last few pages or anything better for my scenario?

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Moved and sold our old plasma and promised wife a new one. Figured id just grab all something at Costco . But now I've seen many random threads of people bitching about all kinds of bloat/ bullshit unskippable ads etc.

Any suggestions for a dumb but nice larger tv within reason on cost though I'll go a little higher than something at Walmart to avoid the above bullshit. We are simple, the cable box and using the google dongle thing to occasionally stream from phone. No media servers or anything complicated.

I love my 100" Hisense L9

No clue what plasmas cost. The Hisense L9 was $5k

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

Any suggestions for a dumb but nice larger tv (not sure size breakpoints but last was a 65 or 62?) within reason on cost though I'll go a little higher than something at Walmart to avoid the above bullshit. We are simple, the cable box and using the google dongle thing to occasionally stream from phone. No media servers or anything complicated.

LG OLED, see if there's any C1 still available

• 1Like