Headphones & Audio Devices

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
My new retarded itx board says it does 5.1 but I can't figure out how. May have to finally update my desk speakers I've had since 1999.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Etymotic IEMs on sale right now. I had a pair of these for years and loved them dearly. These are updated versions that allow for replaceable cables, etc., and at 60% off they're an absolute steal.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just bought these for some reason. I've never found a headset yet that was comfortable, and wireless.... I'm worried they are going to suck.

Amazon product ASIN B01MXE0FKC
Got these today and the sound is pretty decent, they fit my huge ass head, with some to spare, and the cloth cups are pretty comfortable. The problem is, I keep comparing them to my existing wired headphones and in that comparison, the sound falls really flat. But they are less than half the price of my Philips wired headphones, and wireless, so I think that they hold up at all is pretty good.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't really see the point of wireless. Just plug it into the gamepad when on console and you get all the benefits of wireless, and pretty much every PC case has phone/mic jacks right on the front and you get all the pros of wired (including the option to use an amp). About the only downside is it drains your controller battery faster, but that's a non-issue on xbox if you use 2500+mAh rechargeable battery packs. I suppose it's a bit more hassle on PS, at least PS5 anyway. For PS4 I had several DS4's, but I sure as hell don't want to buy multiples of the DualSense that I already have grown to hate. I used to have a Sony Gold Headset and it was far more annoying to have to plug a USB cable into it than it was to plug in a gamepad, especially considering the horrible battery life of most headsets.

And yeah, the PC38X is fantastic so far, especially considering it's a "gaming" headset and not just regular cans. Still need more time to break in the drivers and the headband (clamping force is more than I'd like, and my head isn't particularly large) but I'm already impressed with their sound for music as well as games.

Been fiddling with Atmos for Headphones and DTS Headphone:X too, since they're both on sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Anyone else done any comparing? The internet at large seems to say that DTS is best for games overall, and Atmos is more suited to movies and games that are specifically developed for it. Maybe I'll just buy both, it'd be the same price as DTS not-on-sale.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
OK, so, my parents' ancient CD carousel finally gave up the ghost.

I was thinking about getting them a new one for Christmas, but they seem to be getting really hard to find. Adorama had a backordered Onkyo that I was considering, but their rep told me that the backorder isn't going to be getting to them until the third week of January.

I think an easier option might be ripping their CD collection (they have a pretty large collection, maybe 300 CDs), and I'm comfortable doing that for them. However, I don't know much about AV equipment itself, and I'm not sure what options they have for playing the files once all the audio has been ripped. Any suggestions?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>

I was thinking about getting them a new one for Christmas, but they seem to be getting really hard to find. Adorama had a backordered Onkyo that I was considering, but their rep told me that the backorder isn't going to be getting to them until the third week of January.

I think an easier option might be ripping their CD collection (they have a pretty large collection, maybe 300 CDs), and I'm comfortable doing that for them. However, I don't know much about AV equipment itself, and I'm not sure what options they have for playing the files once all the audio has been ripped. Any suggestions?
So I don't know that this a solution, but it might be easier and better for the future. Couldn't you just get them something that could play spotify or something, possibly with voice controls?

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
So I don't know that this a solution, but it might be easier and better for the future. Couldn't you just get them something that could play spotify or something, possibly with voice controls?
It seems like over the short term that'd be the best option. I know it'd be possible to build a Plex server, hook it up to a receiver, and then have them play back all the ripped tracks from that, but that'd be a big initial hardware investment.

I feel like that it's wasteful that they have all these CDs and can't really do anything with them, though.

old people get settled in their tech habits. I set my mom's stereo up for streaming. She still just likes the habit of cd's.

I would hunt for a carousel unit. PLenty of tested units for sale.
cd600

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

Not a full review yet but I am more interested in them, potential is there

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
After the cord on my Sennheiser PC373D died after a couple months, I picked up a Logitech G635 headset. Great sound, clear mic, comfortable for my head, etc. Came with a nice braided USB->micro cord to hook it up. Well, it's lasted 7 months and now will have tiny cutouts if I turn my head the wrong way or bump the cord somehow. Cord's long enough that it hands nice and freely, it hasn't been getting caught on shit and the cats haven't touched it, so I can only assume (and reviews seem to back it up) that the microUSB port itself is wiggling and eventually it will fully shit the bed.

I guess after hearing me bitch a little bit about it, husband got me a wireless headset to give me for Christmas but ended up just giving it to me yesterday. Got me this model, which...would not have been my first choice: Amazon product ASIN B08DCXH3RG
Sound quality is pretty flat and has no depth, people tell me now that I just sound far away on the mic, despite all the levels set to max wherever I can find them, and it has no kind of software/special driver to speak of to try and tweak it. On top of that, there's a constant buzzing noise from it just being connected and it just gets amplified to hell through the mic when I try and talk. I've tried moving the dongle between every USB port on my machine and the port in the charging station on the opposite side of my desk to no avail. Checked all my audio drivers and everything's up to date. I haven't used a wireless headset before; do they all have these issues and this is all normal? Honestly, I want to tell him to just get his money back because this thing definitely is not worth $100 even without the buzzing and is a huge step down in sound quality compared to the Logitech which was basically the same price. I'm trying to at least do my due diligence to get it to work before that, though. Are there any other settings I can try to mess with or other things I should try?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
so you are worried people are listening to what you are listening too?

let's just say, far too many of my neighbors have satellite dishes on their roofs for my taste. but I don't let it dominate my life. You adjust.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior VP | Pantheon Pals VP Recruiting
<Gold Donor>
Looking for a headset for xbox series x gaming. Don't need anything super fancy.. wired may be ideal. Don't wanna drop a ton of money. I have bose 700s for srs work. Ideally under 100$ would be best.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
After the cord on my Sennheiser PC373D died after a couple months, I picked up a Logitech G635 headset. Great sound, clear mic, comfortable for my head, etc. Came with a nice braided USB->micro cord to hook it up. Well, it's lasted 7 months and now will have tiny cutouts if I turn my head the wrong way or bump the cord somehow. Cord's long enough that it hands nice and freely, it hasn't been getting caught on shit and the cats haven't touched it, so I can only assume (and reviews seem to back it up) that the microUSB port itself is wiggling and eventually it will fully shit the bed.

I guess after hearing me bitch a little bit about it, husband got me a wireless headset to give me for Christmas but ended up just giving it to me yesterday. Got me this model, which...would not have been my first choice: Amazon product ASIN B08DCXH3RG
Sound quality is pretty flat and has no depth, people tell me now that I just sound far away on the mic, despite all the levels set to max wherever I can find them, and it has no kind of software/special driver to speak of to try and tweak it. On top of that, there's a constant buzzing noise from it just being connected and it just gets amplified to hell through the mic when I try and talk. I've tried moving the dongle between every USB port on my machine and the port in the charging station on the opposite side of my desk to no avail. Checked all my audio drivers and everything's up to date. I haven't used a wireless headset before; do they all have these issues and this is all normal? Honestly, I want to tell him to just get his money back because this thing definitely is not worth $100 even without the buzzing and is a huge step down in sound quality compared to the Logitech which was basically the same price. I'm trying to at least do my due diligence to get it to work before that, though. Are there any other settings I can try to mess with or other things I should try?
No they’re not all like that. I have the Sony high end PlayStation Bluetooth headset and they’re fantastic. People have no problem hearing me, they sound great, and all the controls function like you would expect them to. You can change the audio of the game vs others voices with control wheels right on the headset themselves.

I haven’t used them on anything other than the ps4, as I haven’t pc gamed with anyone in a few years but I’ll give it a shot to see if it’s an option. I may have to set up a time with someone to try it on discord, cause I don’t have any current game plans.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The more I listen to this Schiit Hel + HD58x the more I love them. I recommend the shit out of this combo, they are even great with my PC37x/PC38x.

Makes me curious aobut retarded expensive combos.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users