Headphones & Audio Devices

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
Any recommendations for sound bars? What should I look for in one? I'm not really looking for the best, just something decent that's better than my TCL 5 series built in speakers
Rtings.com is my default site to check for ratings and reviews. They usually have a section where you can find their recommendations for different categories, by size, if it has a sub, Dolby Atmos, specific price points etc. I ended up with a Vizio V21 because it had a steep sale at Best Buy on the day I bought my new TV, I just really wanted something better than the TV speakers. Does the job for me, but I'm really not picky by any means. But I'd start on the website and go from there unless someone else has something to add.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Any recommendations for sound bars? What should I look for in one? I'm not really looking for the best, just something decent that's better than my TCL 5 series built in speakers
the samsung i got sounded "ok" with atmos
dfef6b490fc63b9289d5759f5b56b6c8.png

but it really sounded good once i added the wireless rear speakers
d74e120c81638f3d809e3f871b51f438.png

i know, at this point it's not a thin sound bar? but it does sound better.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
figured I'd add this in here, as I've seen some previous comments regarding the Kanto YU2 speakers, and I think this may be helpful for anyone in general...

I bought the Kanto YU2 and Sub 8, and was at first unhappy with the tinny sound - as many first reviewers are.
I found a review that recommended I download Equalizer APO for Windows, and the Peace UI plugin for that APO.
After installing both, I found that adjusting my Equalizer was very easy, and the resulting sound is AMAZING compared to where it started. It obviously doesn't change what the speakers are CAPABLE of doing, as they're still limited by the driver size and power throughput etc, but the change in the sound is tremendous.

The mid to bass response from the YU2 is awesome, and I've put the crossover on the sub right around the 80hz mark so it supplements the sound really well without totally taking over or feeling underfed.

Granted, you might take this with a grain of salt as I'm gaming and listening to music in a 10*18 room, so YMMV.

I tried my old speakers (Logitech Z2300, welcome back to 2004, they still BUMP) and my headphones (Steelseries Arctis 7) with the revised equalizer and they sound so much better, too.

Definitely recommended!

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
well, here I am just a few weeks into the Kanto YU2s, and the right (non powered) speaker has started to crackle and buzz at low frequencies.
I haven't pumped the volume, haven't blasted any bass, haven't changed the equalizer tuning for about 3 weeks.

returning it to amazon, going back for YU4s. I'm a glutton for punishment

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
well, here I am just a few weeks into the Kanto YU2s, and the right (non powered) speaker has started to crackle and buzz at low frequencies.
I haven't pumped the volume, haven't blasted any bass, haven't changed the equalizer tuning for about 3 weeks.

returning it to amazon, going back for YU4s. I'm a glutton for punishment

I picked up the Audioengine A2+ since the Kanto's didn't have a usb input and my itx board doesn't have a optical out. Really happy with them thus far.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
oh shit, I'm an idiot!
I didnt even think to look at the YU4 IO connections, I figured it'd be the same as the YU2, which does have a USB connection to the PC.
1626457952218.png
1626457971023.png

Good thing my mobo does have a SPDIF port
1626458046828.png

I normally hyper-analyze SKU specs before making a hardware purchase. duno why I jumped in so blind here

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
the YU4s are a world apart from the YU2s.
they're a bit big, but the sound is great, and they are really responsive to EQ adjustment.

before n after
20210623_140923.jpg

20210719_125843.jpg

I've had no problem with the optical connection so far, but I'm curious... I just grabbed some Monster optical cable that I had in my bag o cables. It's probably nearly 15-20 years old. Would I notice any difference with a newer manuf. cable, or is the spec unchanged?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

the YU4s are a world apart from the YU2s.
they're a bit big, but the sound is great, and they are really responsive to EQ adjustment.

before n after
View attachment 363076
View attachment 363077

I've had no problem with the optical connection so far, but I'm curious... I just grabbed some Monster optical cable that I had in my bag o cables. It's probably nearly 15-20 years old. Would I notice any difference with a newer manuf. cable, or is the spec unchanged?

I don't think there have been any changes in optical cable technology in some time. Only thing I'd be concerned with is the cable becoming brittle, if that's even a thing.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Im still rocking the Klipch Pro Medias 2.1 for my computer and TV in my room. Probabaly like 6+ yrs now? Cant beat them for the price. Last time I saw them was in Costco for like $89 and I was going to get a second set just to have it, lol, they are so cheap. When we re partying and drinking and shit it fills my whole house with sound thats not distorted at all. Bass is amazing too for the little 6.5" powered sub. IDK, it might not be audiophile type shit, but for a 2.1 speaker system for the computer the price vs performance cant be beat.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
those are super solid.
I didn't have a good reason to switch from my 17 yr old Logitech z2300s, they still bump for some computer desktop 2.1s.
I just wanted speakers that were matte white

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Im still rocking the Klipch Pro Medias 2.1 for my computer and TV in my room. Probabaly like 6+ yrs now? Cant beat them for the price. Last time I saw them was in Costco for like $89 and I was going to get a second set just to have it, lol, they are so cheap. When we re partying and drinking and shit it fills my whole house with sound thats not distorted at all. Bass is amazing too for the little 6.5" powered sub. IDK, it might not be audiophile type shit, but for a 2.1 speaker system for the computer the price vs performance cant be beat.

Yea, I had the 2.1 for at least 15yrs before the pre-amp module/volume dial started putting out static when adjusting volume via the unit. Had to replace the 2.1 system a month or so ago with another Klipsch 2.1 system. Still sounds great.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Those of you who happen to using a "Schiit Stack", do you know of a stack that would allow me to switch between headphones and external powered speakers? I'm not sure if a Modi / Magni setup will allow for that.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Those of you who happen to using a "Schiit Stack", do you know of a stack that would allow me to switch between headphones and external powered speakers? I'm not sure if a Modi / Magni setup will allow for that.
I have them and a pair of Yu6. They do allow you to switch. I just change the input on my computer with a button click. It's really easy.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have them and a pair of Yu6. They do allow you to switch. I just change the input on my computer with a button click. It's really easy.
Right now I am using 2 outputs from my onboard soundcard; the Optical goes to a receiver that I plug my headphones into, and I plug my Klipsch 2.1's into the Output jack of the soundcard. So, like you, I just switch which output to use via the Sound options in Windows.

Yet, I want to avoid using the onboard soundcard entirely since it is so old and getting a bit noisy. I sent an email to Schiit a week or so ago asking which output from a computer would be the cleanest to use with a Stack, and they suggested using the USB port to connect the Stack. I'm cool with that, but now I want to see if there is a Stack option/combo that acts like a preamp that would accept the USB from the computer, and be able to route the signal to either Headphones (by default) or out to my Klipsch.

Edit: Looks like the Magni / Modi setup will do what I want, it just doesn't have a switch for it. I will just have to unplug the HP so that the signal is routed out to the Spkrs. Easy peasy.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ordered my Schiit stack today, will get the Magni Heresy, Modi 3+ and the Loki Mini+. Can't wait to hook it up to the new computer I'll also be getting this week. Hopefully neither explodes.

• 1Solidarity

Hydromarty

Vyemm Raider
Anyone know anything about IEMs? In ear monitors? I want pair, for under $200. Head bands are driving me nuts

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Got my Schiit components today and was surprised to see that they didn't come with interconnect cables, just power. Guess I should have known I'd need to get RCA cables to connect the pieces, and another USB connector for the computer.

Do any of you know of a high quality 3.5mm Female to RCA Male adaptor? I'll need one if I want to connect my Klipsch 2.1's to the Magni (not a huge issue as I can just use Windows to switch to audio outputs). Can't seem to link the the Y adaptor I see at Amazon, oh well.

Edit: Didn't need another USB cable, as the supplied one will work fine for power and date. Also found a nice adaptor, by Tisino (used their cables before, solid). Using some cheap rca's now and got it all working. Nice clean sound.

Last edited:

Hekotat

Thinking about picking up a set of Thieaudio Phantoms for my birthday, anyone have any experience with this brand?

Fucker

Log Wizard
Grabbed a set of Airpods Pro. They were on sale. $170. I got them for the noise cancelling and I am going on a long set of plane flights. Jet and cabin noise makes me weary fast.

I tested them out in the front yard and YES the noise cancelling works a fucking lot. My neighbor has a huge water fountain that I tuned out, but these got rid of the noise all the way...and it even gets rid of tire noises and most everything else. I didn't realize how noisy it was here until I wore them for a few hours and took them out. WHOA.

As for music...meh. Shrill and mostly unpleasant. I'm not an audiophile by any measure, but these sound bad to unpleasant....like a cheap pair of headphones you can buy at a supermarket.

The cool thing is it has a wireless charger and it takes 5 minutes to charge for 1 hour of listen time.

For music though? Trash.