Headphones/Headsets

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
There used to be a headphone thread on the other forum.

For the price...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826105554

Are by far the best available. They are virtually indestructible, and audio quality is decent, although maybe a little heavy on the bass (which isn't really a problem for gaming).

If price is less of a factor, non-gaming marketed headphones that are really good would include Sony studio monitors and Bose QuietComforts. Much like a good mouse... once you find something you absolutely love, you should just buy a couple sets of them so that when they inevitably wear out you can just replace them with the same instead of having to find something new and get used to it.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've spent way too much money on headphones...

Bad:
Bose - unless you want them for noise reduction (airlines or pilot) you are overpaying
Beats - overpaying for bass heavy gimmick (pro and studio models are good but your overpaying)

Good:
Audio-Technica
Sennheiser
Beyerdynamic
AKG
Grado

Popular Options (that I have experience with):

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700
Audio-Technica ATH-A700X
Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Sennheiser PC 360 (headset - open air)
Sennheiser PC 363D (New - no review)
Sennheiser HD 380
Sennheiser HD 650

Beyerdynamic DT 770
Beyerdynamic DT 990

AKG K701

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Heard good things about Grado but never had the chance to listen to some. Hmm.....

Seen these come up for sale but I've never bit

rrr_img_15201.png

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm surprise you guys suggest the DT990 and DT770 but not the DT880. I've tried a minimum of 10 pairs of headphones in the $100-300 range including DT770 Pro 80 and Darth Beyers. Out of all the headsets I've tried, the DT880 600ohm are by far the best sounding headphones I've used. If you want closed headphone, I would suggest Sennheiser HD25 ii. Great headphones. If you look closely, pretty much every sports commentator use them.

As for Grado, I've tried the HF-1 and SR225. I personally didn't like the SR225. The highs were too harsh for me. The HF-1 you can't get new as they are limited edition but those are WAY more balanced than the SR225. People usually compare the HF range to the RS range but take that with a grain of salt.

I hated the ATH-AD900 and the Sennheiser HD600.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I love my red V-Modas, picked them up on sale for $75 on Amazon a while back. They sound pretty good, are comfortable, and sexy as hell.

I really want to grab a pair of Sennheiser 598s someday when I have some money to burn.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm surprise you guys suggest the DT990 and DT770 but not the DT880
Yeah, I only listed the ones I had actually owned at some point. I still think best bang for the buck is the ATH-M50s.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Ive got a few different pairs of Sennheiser HD's and PC's, I love them all. A really good brand overall.

Been playing with the Klipsch S4's all day, so good for in ear monitors. Our gym blasts remixed rap all day, so I needed noise cancelling headphones, they are great for this.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've had this pair ofRocketfishfor years. I'm surprised the reviews are so mediocre on the website because I honestly have never had a problem with them and I've had them since the WoW days (quit in 2007). EQ balance is solid and they're extremely comfortable. Bummer to see they're discontinued because I would certainly buy another pair if these shit out on me.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I'm surprise you guys suggest the DT990 and DT770 but not the DT880. I've tried a minimum of 10 pairs of headphones in the $100-300 range including DT770 Pro 80 and Darth Beyers. Out of all the headsets I've tried, the DT880 600ohm are by far the best sounding headphones I've used. If you want closed headphone, I would suggest Sennheiser HD25 ii. Great headphones. If you look closely, pretty much every sports commentator use them.
But those 600ohm beyers require at least another 200-300$ for an amp to drive them. I had the chance to listen to all of them (250ohm version) and I didn't notice any sound quality difference but I'm no audiophile. I picked the 990 pro because they were the biggest (got a big head) and weren't chromed.

Kinkle_sl

shitlord
I use a pair of Senn HD 555's and they're amazing, but fair warning, people near you hear about 1/5th the sound you do. My wife can tell me how I'm doing in TF2 when she's studying in bed a few feet away. Technically it's part of the design to make the audio better, but still something to consider. Whenever I buy a new pair I'll likely go with something a bit more private.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
These are the most comfortable headsets I've ever worn and I've been jonesing to get a set for a long time. I think I'm going to bite the bullet finally since they just released these PC versions for a shitload cheaper than normal.

I know you guys are discussing audiophile type sets but I figured these were relevant considering what boards we are on.

http://www.astrogaming.com/catalog/p.../category/146/

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
These are the most comfortable headsets I've ever worn and I've been jonesing to get a set for a long time. I think I'm going to bite the bullet finally since they just released these PC versions for a shitload cheaper than normal.

I know you guys are discussing audiophile type sets but I figured these were relevant considering what boards we are on.

http://www.astrogaming.com/catalog/p.../category/146/
The best part about the Astro was the mixamp, the actual headphones are meh'ish. People are listing stereo headphones because they actually sound good as compared to the crap sold as "gaming headsets".

Also looking for info on the new Senn 363D!

Just listened to a pair of these recently, ive had a Velodyne sub in my HT for about 5 years now. Distributor friend he a pair on, they sound great!

http://www.amazon.com/Velodyne-vPuls.../dp/B006CVF1P0

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The best part about the Astro was the mixamp, the actual headphones are meh'ish. People are listing stereo headphones because they actually sound good as compared to the crap sold as "gaming headsets".

Also looking for info on the new Senn 363D!

Just listened to a pair of these recently, ive had a Velodyne sub in my HT for about 5 years now. Distributor friend he a pair on, they sound great!

http://www.amazon.com/Velodyne-vPuls.../dp/B006CVF1P0
I'm not arguing that point, I have a pair of HD288's that I love but the squeeze the shit out of my head. I mainly need comfort when gaming and anything sounds better than my bass-less Corsair 1300's.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
I'm looking at buying a new pair of headphones (IEM's) since my last pair got stolen. Nothing special, just some Sennheiser CX500's, but I liked them. So I've been looking at a pair of these, anyone have experience?

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-S4i-Pr...psch+image+s4i

Also general headphone/headset thread. If there was another sorry, didn't see it.
I have these, they're probably the best earbuds I've owned.