Health Problems

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
people can go either way on cannabis for anxiety. some people it helps a lot, other people it causes panic attacks. its worth a shot, tho. if you have the capability of being picky, generally try for strains that are more indica dominant than sativa dominant. contrary to that thought, tho, its been suggested on this board before, but "Jack Herrer" is a relatively common high end strain that produces one of the least-anxious and most-productive highs i've ever experienced -- despite being sativa dominant.

what's your wife's official diagnosis, chaos chaos ? i've seen cannabis be extra promising in manic depressives.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
Depends on the person and situation. Trex said recently that weed makes her nervous, and I believe it. In fact I've known people who just tense up with it. It's usually women.

But I honestly think that has more to do with the mind than the brain. It's not like being drunk.

So if you guys do explore that, which is probably worth consideration(not like lab produced pills are fucking wonderful) you'll need to remove obvious causes for anxiety for her at first. Make sure the girls are sat that night, mostly. You'll babysitting her. Just the first time or three, until she gets used to the effect of it.

Because she might fixate on anxiety, and weed will make that WORSE. She'll just forget about every three minutes that she was just reassured about whatever the issue is and loop it.

Some people it helps, some it's just a few hours of stress. But they don't remember the stress very strongly... It just doesn't help.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
General anxiety, social anxiety, ocd, depression. She used to get pretty severe panic attacks pretty regularly, the meds stopped the frequency but they still happen often enough.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
remember to start with small amounts and work your way up. she can always take another hit in 15 if she's not feeling it enough, but you can't take back a hit once its in ya. iannis gives good advice as well.

iannis

Musty Nester
Once you get used to it you can be quite high functioning under its effects, and it does mostly serve to take the edge off. But it does dull the upper end and reduces observational powers.

I don't suspect it would be a good, or even practical long term treatment depending on what her responsibilities are. It's not like getting high twice a week is gonna "fix" her.

But it's less fucking dangerous than Prozac. And I'm not just saying that to be grumpy. It IS.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
She can't smoke either, just can't tolerate it, so we mostly discussed edibles. I listen to enough Joe Rogan that I know there is a difference in how it impacts you but I don't really know much about it.

Honestly, I don't know. If she can even just get off of some of the medication, I think she would be happier, I know I wouldn't constantly be worried about her or the kids getting it or whatever, I think some of the side effects make her life worse. Worse than daily panic attacks? Probably not. But not good.

iannis

Musty Nester
Honestly I'd try it and see how it goes.

Worst case you're looking at about 3 wasted hours and 100 wasted bucks.

And yeah, the pills create a problem in an attempt to mitigate one.

Oldbased

> Than U
I'm going to try and get Shelly's doctor to allow her to try that CBD. It even says it the non high stuff but fights almost all her symptoms. Kind of mad TBH she has been fighting those symptoms for years and nothing has really worked and they never suggested it. If it isn't addictive and it doesn't get you high, why would they not at least try it? It's been legal here for 3 years and is first I heard of it.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
She can't smoke either, just can't tolerate it, so we mostly discussed edibles. I listen to enough Joe Rogan that I know there is a difference in how it impacts you but I don't really know much about it.

Honestly, I don't know. If she can even just get off of some of the medication, I think she would be happier, I know I wouldn't constantly be worried about her or the kids getting it or whatever, I think some of the side effects make her life worse. Worse than daily panic attacks? Probably not. But not good.

Edibles are a bit trickier. Also has very little in common with smoking. Edibles should be better for anxiety if she can tolerate it.

I don't think it could be 3 wasted hours as Iannis says. It could blow her out for a full day if you don't take it easy. Edibles are responsible for most of the marijuana ER visits because they get so fucked up for really long periods of time.

I used to smoke heavy and I never touched edibles personally because I didn't know how to dose them, saw and heard too many people getting bombed on them, and also felt like I had far less guarantee of the quantity of the drug. Maybe with some further advances in medical marijuana in certain states that aspect has gotten a lot better. There was a time In Colorado when people were getting sent to the hospital fucked off their ass regularly.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I was a heavy smoker in highschool and it always turned me into a piece of furniture and removed all stress. Smoked with a dude that thought cops were circling the house in helicopters Everytime.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
What does she take for anxiety now? I see lots of patients who have taken benzos for a long time who end up having worse anxiety due to developing a dependence and tolerance to their anxiety medication combined with how it messes with the reward center in the brain.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
As an adjunct...therapeutic treatment may be of benefit. Exposure Therapy/sub category of CBT and/ot Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing are forms with promise.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Exposure Therapy and all forms of CBT are not really useful for anxiety or trauma. EMDR is ok, but Brain Spotting is far superior.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Exposure Therapy and all forms of CBT are not really useful for anxiety or trauma. EMDR is ok, but Brain Spotting is far superior.
I am not familiar with that and my Google Fu is failing me with regard to clinical trials and efficacy. Can you link me please?

• 1Solidarity

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah let me get that for you. The google has just this one dope david grand who is a damn charalatan.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
What does she take for anxiety now? I see lots of patients who have taken benzos for a long time who end up having worse anxiety due to developing a dependence and tolerance to their anxiety medication combined with how it messes with the reward center in the brain.
She takes Lexapro, risperadol, trazadone plus xanax/valium as needed for panic attacks. I think the trazadone is for sleeping. It's a lot of shit.

• 1Like

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
She's taking both Xanax and Valium? How often? Some people feels restless like their legs are being driven by a motor while taking Risperdal. I usually only use Risperdal for people who are acutely manic or psychotic (its approved for behavioral disturbances in children with developmental disabilities). In my experience, if someone needs Xanax/Valium daily for more than a few weeks after starting an SSRI for GAD or panic disorder, something has gone wrong with the treatment plan that warrants reassessment.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I agree. I don't see how cock and ball torture is going to help her anxiety and I'm sure Chaos isn't going to volunteer his set for her to try it out.

I blame this board for that being my first go to for CBT.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
She's taking both Xanax and Valium? How often? Some people feels restless like their legs are being driven by a motor while taking Risperdal. I usually only use Risperdal for people who are acutely manic or psychotic (its approved for behavioral disturbances in children with developmental disabilities). In my experience, if someone needs Xanax/Valium daily for more than a few weeks after starting an SSRI for GAD or panic disorder, something has gone wrong with the treatment plan that warrants reassessment.
She doesn't take the xanax and valium daily, just the other stuff. Those two are just for acute attacks or instances where she feels an attack coming, I would estimate that she doesn't take them more than once per week normally, if that. But you know, I don't really know, she hides some of this stuff, intentionally or otherwise, so I'm not always aware.

I've been all about getting her off this stuff, but the attacks were really bad before. The side effects of this stuff suck, but the attacks were like daily and extreme for a while. She's the one who came to me about the possibility of medical marijuana so I told her I would help her. I worry about what could happen, both pairing it with her current meds and what would happen if we were to wean her off her current meds in favor of that.

I did encourage her to do therapy years ago, she didn't go through with it, i don't entirely understand why, she just really did not like it.