Health Problems

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Not about me but figured I’d vent. Old man had a heart attack over thanksgiving, and during that ordeal they noticed a 3cm mass on his right lung. He had a few stints put in so couldn’t biopsy until a few weeks ago.... pet scan in interim looked good, got biopsy back and it was stage 1b lung cancer - better news than I’d hoped for as surgery was still an option. After biopsy though he was coughing up tons of blood which struck me as scary, but figured plavix was the issue. Today he had a double lobectomy to remove the cancer, gets through the gnarly surgery fine, but an hour later blood starts gushing out of the breathing tube. They rush him back in to cut him open again and find a few vessels didn’t cauterize right.... he’s now in icu hooked up to machine keeping him breathing but reading between the lines this doesn’t seem good.

My wife and I are having our first kiddo in May, a boy, and it’ll be my fathers first grandchild....

Thing fucking sucks, cancer fucking sucks. Pharm, I hope you have a good prognosis and can give it a run.

:( crossing my fingers for him

despite having cancer for two years, i've actually been pretty fortunate in that it hasn't been that bad... any time i hear stories like this i feel guilty. your old man deserves to live a lot more than i do, i'm sure.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Sorry for lag. Got hit with the flu thanks to the massive surge in patient population in the ER.

Unfortunately, you're really only going to be looking at steroids, NSAIDs, or even some biologics. :\ Physical therapy may help. How severe is your AS?

Not very. Just found out I was positive for HLA-B27 from tests after a Christmas bout of anterior uveitis out of nowhere. Looked at the symptoms for AS, and it made a lot of the oddities of my medical history come together. Aside from the two inflammation outbreaks with 25 years in between, it has mostly limited itself to chronic dull lower back pain. If there are any NSAIDs that don't cause liver/kidney issues for long term use, I will try them out.

Oldbased

> Than U
Wasn't sure where the fuck to put this. What am I watching here? Is this a dislocated( hah? ) heart?

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Wasn't sure where the fuck to put this. What am I watching here? Is this a dislocated( hah? ) heart?
Ribs broken in two places, unstable chest. Too high to be a beating heart, besides it doesn't contract like that.

Guy seems to have indulged in a few substances.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Anyone know much about ANA blood test? I keep having them ordered, probably a half dozen in the last 2 years. Always negative. Used to determine certain auto immune diseases such as Lupus and Scleraderma and such. Just wondering how accurate they are and likelyhood of having it and not showing up in the test. Haven't found out a whole lot.

Onigen

Golden Knight of the Realm
So there's a lot of talk about the testosterone butt pellets here on the forums but has anyone had experience with a little higher dosages? Three weeks ago my doctor (one of the many) had me start 6 month run of testosterone in gel form, with a 50 mg daily dosage, and I've noticed very little changes or side effects except for increased amount of toilet trips and not taking any naps during the day anymore (used to do this almost daily because of all the other stuff I'm on). I guess the actual reason is to promote bone health and prevent osteoporosis after my treatments but when I tried asking for my T-levels they couldn't even say because they hadn't measured it. Apparently it's just something all males get if there's no liver troubles and according to a patient-followup-list they'll measure it in about 3 months. On good news I've been so comparably "healthy" they've already lessened the amount of trips I have to take to the hospital from weekly to bi-weekly. It only takes like 3-4 hours but it rustles my jimmies to take the trip because all they basically do is the same I do at home: check blood pressure and skin of abnormalities.

Borzak

I'm glad you said that. I kept seeing the pellet discussion in other threads but I had no idea what they pellets for. So testosterone.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So there's a lot of talk about the testosterone butt pellets here on the forums but has anyone had experience with a little higher dosages? Three weeks ago my doctor (one of the many) had me start 6 month run of testosterone in gel form, with a 50 mg daily dosage, and I've noticed very little changes or side effects except for increased amount of toilet trips and not taking any naps during the day anymore (used to do this almost daily because of all the other stuff I'm on). I guess the actual reason is to promote bone health and prevent osteoporosis after my treatments but when I tried asking for my T-levels they couldn't even say because they hadn't measured it. Apparently it's just something all males get if there's no liver troubles and according to a patient-followup-list they'll measure it in about 3 months. On good news I've been so comparably "healthy" they've already lessened the amount of trips I have to take to the hospital from weekly to bi-weekly. It only takes like 3-4 hours but it rustles my jimmies to take the trip because all they basically do is the same I do at home: check blood pressure and skin of abnormalities.

Keep in mind I don't know anything about your situation or your age/health. It sounds like you've been placed on TRT or Testosterone Replacement Therapy as preventative medicine. Preventative medicine means a health problem is being headed off before it can be allowed to happen. I am guessing you are of age to where checking your T levels to qualify you for TRT is unnecessary.

However, I say it is necessary. I actually just got done failing my TRT clinic bloodwork and didn't qualify for TRT. Its good to know where you stand.

So listen, most guys would love to have a hassle-free doctor like yours where they aren't drawing your blood several times a year just to learn the obvious. You should be celebrating the fact that you are not one of those guys being rejected care or being hassled with extra bloodwork. I wanted to emphasize this because it sounds like you aren't appreciative because you may be unaware of how the majority of doctors deal with TRT. Testosterone is a controlled substance on the DEA schedule, so most doctors are up peoples ass about it. The fact you are being treated for age-related decline in T without hassle is a huge boon.

The predicament is obvious. On one hand, you're receiving treatment for what is likely. On the other hand-- you don't know that for sure. And your doc is basing the therapeutic dose off of the literature rather than on a patient by patient basis. He is well within the standard of care and some would say he is absolutely being a great proactive doctor. Also note, some TRT doctors go based off of feel. "How do you feel". So regardless of the blood reading, they will still ask how you feel and increase your dosage accordingly, even to above average levels if you need it. This is considered great care as well. There are numerous problems you can run into without blood readings and a slew of pros vs cons pertaining to the route of administration I.E. Gel versus injectable esters. If your blood levels came back with high estrogen for example, many TRT guys will blame that on the gel. The skin has a lot of aromatase activity, so a good amount of the testosterone gel is broken down into estrogen by the skin. That doesn't mean the gel doesn't work, it just means that for certain men its not a good fit. Everyone has a different unique level of aromatase activity, every case is different. You seem to be feeling great on the gel, but by getting better care you could know about any room for improvements in your TRT regimen.

That said, the specifics of your TRT could be better. But do you really want to disrespect your doctor and twist his arm and hassle him to accomplish a little bit "better" care? When you're already getting what many would call "good care". Not really, right. So here's what I would do assuming your insurance covers it-- or if you can pay out of pocket. Just book an appointment at a TRT clinic. First thing they do at most of them before you even see a doctor is charge you for a blood draw. At a good TRT clinic, without blood analysis the doctor has nothing to discuss with you. Your primary doc isn't involved and you don't need a referral. Explain you are on TRT but would like to be more scientific about it and you thought a TRT clinic would be a little more scientific.

Here is a neat article on TRT lowering the risk of cardiac arrest in heart attack patients. The myths are being debunked more and more.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160403195920.htm

Indications a healthy testosterone level is associated with lower risks of cardiovascular disease.

Testosterone and coronary artery disease. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Onigen

Golden Knight of the Realm
Thanks for taking the time to answer very thoroughly jayrebb jayrebb , there's just a few things I guess I need to be more specific about.

The testosterone is part of the after-treatment for stemcell-transfer I had, and they're just following the "ladder" of treatments they have for patients. I don't really have a specific doctor, it's some kind of team with one active weekly in the clinic. My blood has been drawn maybe 70-80 times in the last 8 months (2 stints at the hospital for 3/5 weeks with daily bloodwork and weekly between those, and weekly right now) and I assume not once did they measure T-levels even though they knew I was about to get T.

Insurance thing doesn't really apply here in Finland. They provide me with appropriate care and I pay very little to none. I could go to a private doctor but I'm pretty sure these same doctors that are treating me also freelance in the private sector to provide the same care.

Last edited:

Borzak

As if I didn't have enough problems. Now I have an irritated throat/neck and my neck is slightly swollen. Had my ex look and she said the back/bottom of my throat looked irritated. Tonsils? I don't know. Been going on now for two weeks.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Anyone know much about ANA blood test? I keep having them ordered, probably a half dozen in the last 2 years. Always negative. Used to determine certain auto immune diseases such as Lupus and Scleraderma and such. Just wondering how accurate they are and likelyhood of having it and not showing up in the test. Haven't found out a whole lot.
Since autoimmune diseases are a bitch to diagnose, they don't necessarily have to be positive, but they can narrow down the possibilities a lot. If you have had the same problems for years, them suddenly being positive is a lot less likely. IIRC for Lupus you have a scoring system where you need like 4 points out of 11 and the antibodies are a grand total of 1 point.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Had my surgery to remove my adrenal tumor today. They thought they were going to be able to do it laparoscopically/minimally-invasively, but I ended up having too much scar tissue in the area from my three rounds of chemo... So they made a horizontal incision right below my rib cage.

I hurt like hell. Docs say a day or two should help a lot.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
They're being really stingy with the pain meds, because they don't want me to get too constipated.

They took the dressing off my incision so it can breathe. First chance to count the staples -- 32 of them, along the entire bottom left side of my rib cage.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If I had to do the hog attack over again, I would request absolutely no pain meds. Kicking my vicodin addiction after recovery was worse than the recovery itself.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
So, got my testosterone tested last week. Went to urologist today. His assistant said I had the levels of a normal 95 year old. Then she touched my junk. Now I need to get an MRI done and when I go in again we can start talking butt pellets. Thanks @Synj! Thanks Kuriin Kuriin !

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Pellets? I have not looked at previous posts...but, do you have prostate cancer?

They haven't been asking about that, but I wouldn't be shocked. Butt pellets as in subcutaneous testosterone pellets that Synj has been pimping lately.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Did they not offer you Testim, Androgel, or any others that you can simply put on your back?

edit: Also, how often do you masturbate? Legitimate question.