Health Problems

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Jx3, my mom died of pancreatic cancer about two years ago after a year and a half battle. She did chemo , maybe five rounds and I went a long with it because I thought it would buy her some time to wrap things up, tie loose ends etc. well she got to the point where she said if they asked her to do another round , she would refuse. And I and others close to her were ok with that. Don’t let those that don’t understand what you are going through tell you what to do. The only right answer is for them to support your decision and make things as easy for you as possible. I hope they do that for you and are strong for you.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
First, long time no see amigos. It's been awhile, completely my fault.

Secondly I came here because I know I'll get the hard truth(s) and all the years I've been lurking here I've come to know that punches are not pulled.

I have cancer, had rectal cancer 3 years ago, did the radiation, chemo. Got the bag (permanent), learned to deal with that. Last year found out that the cancer moved to my lungs, back on chemo I go. Every other week, 46 hour drip. On chemo until the cancer progresses or I die. Almost died from 2 blood clots in my lungs late last year. Long story short it's been a wild ride.

Quite frankly I'm kinda tired of this ride. I've been thinking of quitting chemo, it fucking sucks. I feel like dogshit for a week, then the next week I feel ok. Then, back to chemo. I know what the end result (me dead) but that's the end result for everyone. I might get 10 more years due to chemo but for half that time I'm going to feel like shit. I guess what I'm asking is am I piece of shit if I say "fuck this shit I'm done"?
Fuck big JX. Sorry to hear all this. Reminiscing on our shit posting times on this great forum many years ago. I had a close family member go through cancer last year and I was their caretaker. It's exhausting to constantly have to go to docs/get treatment. You do you man, just talk to your fam and tell them how you feel. Hopefully they'll respect your wishes. You've been missed around here bro

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Jx3 Jx3 I know you said in the marriage thread that you have a long time girlfriend and don’t believe in marriage but if you do decide against chemo (no idea if that is a good or bad call in your situation) and your family doesn’t seem supportive I would HIGHLY recommend an advanced directive naming her as your primary medical decision maker if that is what you would want. I have seen that situation get very ugly and harm patients more times than I can count.

• 2Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I somehow got automatically put on medicaid. Finding anything out from the state and federal government is like trying to paddle upriver at Niagra falls.

The one in state I talked to said it was because I filed an income tax with zero income. Which is true I had zero income last year. Doesn't mean I wanted to be put on medicaid. She had no answer. I didn't even find out till the insurance I pay for sent me a notice that I coudln't have both. The people you talk to act as if you go a week without a paycheck you're automatically ready for medicaid, food stamps, welfare and whatever else.

I think I have it straightened out but I have to go to the state capital and some office tomorrow and "talk to them in person". Odd but whatever.

If I suddenly go missing you'll know why. I've blown my top at the capital. I'm getting closer everyday. I didn't even know being put on it automatically was a thing. I thought you had to apply for all of that, apparently not.

iannis

Musty Nester
You do have to. Someone filed Medicaid for you, which is odd.

But also not your problem beyond the inconvenience of it currently.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I guess this is probably the best thread to post this in but yesterday I was walking down the stairs and my stupid dog is running almost underneath me and I slipped and sprained my knee more than likely, not sure how badly as it didn't seem like there was a huge amount of swelling but I am sure I torn to some degree my MCL and/or ACL. I can put weight on it and walk around although I have a hell of a limp at the moment and do my best not to bend my knee but holy shit is it far more painful than I would expect.

I haven't been to the doctor for it yet I figured I would give it a day or two and see how well it recovers first, I was looking up and it was saying it can take between a few weeks up to a few months to heal depending on the severity. Anyways anyone have experience with this before? I didn't hear any popping type sound so I am just hoping it is minor but the pain level can certainly rank up there if I happen to step on it wrong at the moment.

You mentioned that you don't want to fully extend the leg; could also be a meniscal tear instead of an ACL tear or in combination with one. Did you just slip and hit the ground when your dog went underneath you, or did you plant/twist your leg, and it gave way? If the latter, suspicion's higher for ACL/meniscus. My suspicion, however, is that even if you do have an ACL tear, it's probably not a complete tear, otherwise you likely wouldn't be able to bear weight unless there was an enormous amount of swelling.

A good orthopedic can do a number of different provocative tests to get a better idea as to what's going on. Depending on how bad he thinks it is, he might either try to treat conservatively with some PT and bracing or opt for surgery; really depends on what's going on and, if a tear, whether it's a partial or complete .

Last edited:

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

Secondly I came here because I know I'll get the hard truth(s) and all the years I've been lurking here I've come to know that punches are not pulled.

I have cancer, had rectal cancer 3 years ago, did the radiation, chemo. Got the bag (permanent), learned to deal with that. Last year found out that the cancer moved to my lungs, back on chemo I go. Every other week, 46 hour drip. On chemo until the cancer progresses or I die. Almost died from 2 blood clots in my lungs late last year. Long story short it's been a wild ride.

Quite frankly I'm kinda tired of this ride. I've been thinking of quitting chemo, it fucking sucks. I feel like dogshit for a week, then the next week I feel ok. Then, back to chemo. I know what the end result (me dead) but that's the end result for everyone. I might get 10 more years due to chemo but for half that time I'm going to feel like shit. I guess what I'm asking is am I piece of shit if I say "fuck this shit I'm done"?

Only you can know when you are ready to pack it in. Some people like Mist want to stay around no matter how agonizing it might be. Some are ready at the drop of a hat. I posted last year during my first real taste of what is coming for me with diabetes and my fucked up genetics. I have done everything I can to get my sugar where it needs to be, and that I can live with the limits this places on my diet and activities. If I ever get to the point where I can't move my hands properly or can't see, I am out. I don't have any loose ends to take care of, but I don't want to have that talk with my parents if I can avoid it.

If you have people you want to hang around for, I wish you the best of luck. If you are ready to let go, I hope you are able to go without too much pain or hassle.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
I got pneumonia bros. Never had anything like this. I work a lot and am concerned about surviving the next few weeks.

Any pointers or warnings for me?

I went to the doctor and they gave me some cough medicine, flonase, and a zpack 5 day.

iannis

Musty Nester
You're in for a good solid week of misery and weakness/fatigue.

But assuming you're in otherwise good health I wouldn't be concerned.

Fluids, protein, sleep. in other words chicken soup. And if someone can invent a machine that sucks the snot right out of your head that will be useful.

Depending on what type of pneumonia you have, it can linger. Light duty if you're able. No duty for a few days would be good.

And of course it you've been given antibiotics take the full course.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Cukernaut

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I’m not trying to create any superbugs lol.

I will be through antibiotics by days end Monday. Think Tuesday is reasonable to have a few meetings that I can’t ditch or do I need to literally stay the fuck away from the office.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Just learn to take some really, really deep inhales and holding it for 5 seconds. It'll open up the alveoli in the lungs and increase surfactant.

• 1Like

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just got news my dad has stage 3 esophageal cancer that spread to his lower lymph nodes and stomach. My dad just retired in May this year and cannot draw his SS till Dec when he is at 65.5 and now this. We lost my mom 13 years ago, she was a heavy smoker and her heart walls ruptured. Very good chance both my parents worked till late in life paying in and not draw a single penny of that pyramid scheme called retirement. Dr. he met with wants him to go for chemo/rad to shrink the tumors and see what it looks like for surgery, while the Dr. seemed positive he did say this one is an aggressive type cancer and did not even speculate on time remaining when pushed just deflected.

Getting old sucks and fuck cancer.

I have let my self go unchecked for a few years and put on some weight, so I guess this is my wake up call to get back in good shape running like I used to because I am not getting any younger.

Fuck, sorry man. My dad had the same thing, but diagnosed at stage 4. Be aggressive with treatment and don't let him ignore any side effects or new symptoms, unlike my old man.

Fuck cancer.

• 1Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Tried to talk to my dad about the concert. He claims family members are harassing him about his episode (whoopsie...) And wanted me to clear it up. Motherfucker tried telling me "hey remember how I went to the bathroom so many times on the way? My stomach was really upset but I didn't want to let.you down so I stuck through it. My stomach bothered me.so much and that's why I was acting so sick"

Yeah. Fuckin. Right.

Guy couldn't form sentences, like words were too hard for him to say. He couldn't walk, kept fallng. He was driving between lanes on the highway until I yelled at him.

Either he thinks I'm a fucking retard or he truly doesn't remember anything. Either way, I'm not saving him

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
How often should I be doing this?

Honestly, there's no upper limit. We use a contraption at work called an incentive spirometer because people need visuals to see how they are doing...but, you can do it just as easy in the car commuting.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Just learn to take some really, really deep inhales and holding it for 5 seconds. It'll open up the alveoli in the lungs and increase surfactant.

I have chronic post-nasal drip due to an allergy to oxygen or some such common shit, and this works wonders on loosening up morning chest congestion.

• 2Like

Cukernaut

<Gold Donor>
Self wellness check:

Yesterday was frustrating I had a bad fever come back and didn’t eat anything all day. Fever broke overnight I woke up with so much sweat in the bed it was ridiculous.

I feel better today but my nose is still dropping the most disgusting yellow mustard ever. My lungs are fragile I am finding. In the confines of my bed without talking I feel pretty good with a humidifier and Vick’s vaporub. Without those in a less humid environment, I start coughing a lot.

I am thinking I will probably work from home tomorrow in the bed some and see how wednesday treats me.

• 2Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Sorry bro. Just know you got people out there that you have never met caring about you.