Health Problems

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Anyone else ever go running through GIS and wonder WTF you just saw? Noodleface Noodleface asked me if I was diabetic in another thread, so off I went to see what diabetic feet looked like (I've got some weird flaky patches on my feet but I don't think its the beetus).

Except...here is a picture of what I'm guessing is a diabetic foot...with a pair of forceps stabbed through it? How in the hell does that happen? Like, do hospital staff just /golfclap when someone comes in like this? Why would someone have forceps at home? I guess I could see someone losing their sense of feeling and stepping on shit, but still?

1565542307796.png

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Essentially no feeling, things get infected and they ignore the pain or don't even look (if I don't look, it won't be bad). It's prevalent in homeless people who never change their socks.

But I've read of otherwise healthy people who won't change their socks when they suspect something is wrong either. They'll show up to the ER and have their sock removed and toes fall off with it. Or just completely necrotized flesh

• 2WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Weird bump I've had on my thigh for ages recently changed appearance relatively significantly. Hasn't changed in size much but it has me worried. Going to see a dermatologist soon. You guys that are okay at diagnosing this stuff, what do you think?

View attachment 218195

It's roughly the size of a pencil eraser.

Looks like a seborrheic keratosis.

I concur.

Would still chop that sucker off and biopsy.

• 1Like

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Anyone else have serious insomnia issues?

I know it's not exactly a "doctor approved" solution but i just buy a couple blister packs of Etizolam online 5-6 times a year from this site i found about 6 years ago. Not enough to take all the time but it makes a huge difference, and honestly taking a benzo at 10pm, relaxing playing games for two hours then falling asleep right as i get into bed is close to nirvana for me.

My problem is I'm moving to the UK in about 6 months to live. I know Etizolam is illegal there and presumably much harder to get. I've taken stuff like Ambien, Xanax in the past but docs around here don't like to prescribe these things much for anything beyond short term.

There's a strong link between long term use of benzos and dementia.

Get some blood work, check your testosterone, and find out if there's an issue causing your insomnia? Ie. is this primary insomnia (sleep issues) or secondary (sleep issues because of another health issue).

If there isn't, work on better sleep hygiene. Buy a sleep mask, this was game changing for keeping me asleep at night.

If you're not willing to change your sleep habits, you'll never find the rest you're looking for and you'll become more and more dependent on sleep aids with less and less restfulness.

Not a lecture, just objective facts.

• 1Like

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Anyone else ever go running through GIS and wonder WTF you just saw? Noodleface Noodleface asked me if I was diabetic in another thread, so off I went to see what diabetic feet looked like (I've got some weird flaky patches on my feet but I don't think its the beetus).

Except...here is a picture of what I'm guessing is a diabetic foot...with a pair of forceps stabbed through it? How in the hell does that happen? Like, do hospital staff just /golfclap when someone comes in like this? Why would someone have forceps at home? I guess I could see someone losing their sense of feeling and stepping on shit, but still?

My differential would probably start with athlete's foot (tinea pedis), eczema, plantar warts, psoriasis.

But obviously I'd need some more info.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I guess this is probably the best thread to post this in but yesterday I was walking down the stairs and my stupid dog is running almost underneath me and I slipped and sprained my knee more than likely, not sure how badly as it didn't seem like there was a huge amount of swelling but I am sure I torn to some degree my MCL and/or ACL. I can put weight on it and walk around although I have a hell of a limp at the moment and do my best not to bend my knee but holy shit is it far more painful than I would expect.

I haven't been to the doctor for it yet I figured I would give it a day or two and see how well it recovers first, I was looking up and it was saying it can take between a few weeks up to a few months to heal depending on the severity. Anyways anyone have experience with this before? I didn't hear any popping type sound so I am just hoping it is minor but the pain level can certainly rank up there if I happen to step on it wrong at the moment.

How's the knee?

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
First, long time no see amigos. It's been awhile, completely my fault.

Secondly I came here because I know I'll get the hard truth(s) and all the years I've been lurking here I've come to know that punches are not pulled.

I have cancer, had rectal cancer 3 years ago, did the radiation, chemo. Got the bag (permanent), learned to deal with that. Last year found out that the cancer moved to my lungs, back on chemo I go. Every other week, 46 hour drip. On chemo until the cancer progresses or I die. Almost died from 2 blood clots in my lungs late last year. Long story short it's been a wild ride.

Quite frankly I'm kinda tired of this ride. I've been thinking of quitting chemo, it fucking sucks. I feel like dogshit for a week, then the next week I feel ok. Then, back to chemo. I know what the end result (me dead) but that's the end result for everyone. I might get 10 more years due to chemo but for half that time I'm going to feel like shit. I guess what I'm asking is am I piece of shit if I say "fuck this shit I'm done"?

The question for me would have to be, what would I gain by staying?

I don't know your family situation or your kid situation but that would weigh heavy on me. What would I miss by ending it early? If I only had 10 more years that would mean I could see my kid drive a car, go on his first date, that kind of thing.

If you don't have kids, I think I'd do the live every day like it's your last routine and just go live it the fuck up to the best of your ability. Go race some cars, jump out of planes, go hire 3-4 hookers at a time, do some blow, and get into as much debt as possible. Do whatever the fuck you want.

I'm sure you already know the numbers, but once cancer starts moving, the prognosis isn't good. And even when you have successful chemo...there's almost always a setback. There are very few happy endings with cancer.

I hope my post doesn't seem glum, in fact, I'd hope you would take the opposite approach and go live it the fuck up and post pictures. If you don't come back here with multiple FOH titties I'd consider that a failure on the part of this entire forum.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I got pneumonia bros. Never had anything like this. I work a lot and am concerned about surviving the next few weeks.

Any pointers or warnings for me?

I went to the doctor and they gave me some cough medicine, flonase, and a zpack 5 day.

Azithromycin (z pack) is standard starting treatment for community acquired pneumonia, but if you have confirmed pneumonia (chest xray) I'd almost always just start you on Doxycycline, as most of the time I don't see much success with z packs and up switching a few days later anyways.

Try to rest but don't be sedentary, maybe pick up an incentive spirometer from Amazon (puffer thing to exercise the lungs).

Drink lots of water.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
How's the knee?

It's been a couple of weeks now and I am still limping around. Although compared to when it happened it feels substantially better. It sucks that it takes so long to heal and the worst is when I am in bed at night, or transitioning from sitting down for a period to walking around. It turned out it was my MCL that was torn, another thing that has been happening after this was it pops almost as if I was cracking a knuckle everytime I walk now.

I am hoping another week or two and I am back to normal although I have been told with these ligament injuries they never fully recover. I guess on the positive side of things it has encouraged me to get back into working out a bit as I am getting older and don't want this kind of shit slowing me down.

• 1Like

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Had a pretty bad experience tonight.

Got my dad steel panther tickets, about a two hour ride to venue. Whole way up he's fine, but we have 3 piss stops. He's diabetic, so I understand.

Get to the venue and we park a block away. Whole walk there he's complaining about how far it is. And also even though we drove by it, he assures me it's the opposite direction were walking. Get inside and piss #4 or #5 happens. Afterwards he comes over and complains we have to stand. Over the course of two songs I see him shift a bunch of ways, leaning heavily against the wall. At one point he's slouching hard. I say "let's see if we can find you a chair" and I get nothing, just a completely blank and pale face.

I find him a chair and he's cool for awhile. A couple more songs and he asks when we can leave. I say whenever he wants and again blank face.

We get outside and he can't walk. He's stumbling and tripping over everything. Also he can't say a coherent sentence. He sound 100% hammered. I know what this is, extremely low sugar. But how? Does standing cause blood sugar drops?

Anyways he refuses to get a drink and refuses to let me drive. I mean, he's acting 100% hammered this is bad. He takes off and he is weaving in and out of lanes, cutting people off BARELY and screaming at other drivers. Eventually I say pull the fuck over, I'm driving and he gives up. It took almost two hours before he was normal again.

By the way when I was driving he was saying I was all over the road. When I was driving perfectly.

The other bad thing is his legs. He walks very stiff legged now and he has to lift his legs with his arms up into the car, like they're paralyzed. Assuming he has massive nerve damage in his legs and won't admit it.

I had to vent this shit

Sorry this is LTTP but might want to make sure your dad doesn't have a UTI.

Diabetics are prone to them and might not think about the increased urinary frequency because that's not new for them (ie. just the beetus acting up!).

UTIs can cause a sudden change in personality, acute delirium in older people or dementia patients.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
It's been a couple of weeks now and I am still limping around. Although compared to when it happened it feels substantially better. It sucks that it takes so long to heal and the worst is when I am in bed at night, or transitioning from sitting down for a period to walking around. It turned out it was my MCL that was torn, another thing that has been happening after this was it pops almost as if I was cracking a knuckle everytime I walk now.

I am hoping another week or two and I am back to normal although I have been told with these ligament injuries they never fully recover. I guess on the positive side of things it has encouraged me to get back into working out a bit as I am getting older and don't want this kind of shit slowing me down.

Did someone examine you and tell you it was your MCL?

Are you tender in the medial joint? Is it the middle of the joint, or above/below the joint?

Does it lock or give way?

The cracking/popping makes me think more meniscus than MCL. Meniscus tears kind of fold up on themselves and then can "snap" back into place, kind of like a hang nail. Very aggravating.

f4a7c56079ba4bea42dba859e3907c8f.jpg

If you have someone to help you, try this:

But yeah, most knee injuries 4-6 weeks, but meniscus tears tend to have frequent flare ups. They'll be fine for a while and then after a long day can have an acute flare up causing pain and swelling.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Sorry this is LTTP but might want to make sure your dad doesn't have a UTI.

Diabetics are prone to them and might not think about the increased urinary frequency because that's not new for them (ie. just the beetus acting up!).

UTIs can cause a sudden change in personality, acute delirium in older people or dementia patients.

Yeah I mean he's 62 and if he's not going t o a doctor over me complaining about him acting drunk there's no way I'm gonna ask him if he has a uti

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
Azithromycin (z pack) is standard starting treatment for community acquired pneumonia, but if you have confirmed pneumonia (chest xray) I'd almost always just start you on Doxycycline, as most of the time I don't see much success with z packs and up switching a few days later anyways.

Try to rest but don't be sedentary, maybe pick up an incentive spirometer from Amazon (puffer thing to exercise the lungs).

Drink lots of water.

I’m on doxy right now. It’s brutal without food prep before. I figured that out and now am doing okay with it.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Did someone examine you and tell you it was your MCL?

Are you tender in the medial joint? Is it the middle of the joint, or above/below the joint?

Does it lock or give way?

The cracking/popping makes me think more meniscus than MCL. Meniscus tears kind of fold up on themselves and then can "snap" back into place, kind of like a hang nail. Very aggravating.

f4a7c56079ba4bea42dba859e3907c8f.jpg

If you have someone to help you, try this:

But yeah, most knee injuries 4-6 weeks, but meniscus tears tend to have frequent flare ups. They'll be fine for a while and then after a long day can have an acute flare up causing pain and swelling.

It's all located on the inside of the knee so judging by that picture it could be the MCL or the Meniscus, I haven't been to the doctor to check it out. Yes the pain is sporadic the first few days it was fucking awful and my leg felt like it would buckle whenever I would walk, now I am limping around with it and once in a while I will step wrong and it will just flare up. The other thing with this kind of injury at least for me is that the pain isn't constant I might be able to sit for a while and it's ok and the next day it fucking awful. Oddly enough the worse as I mentioned previously is when trying to sleep in the bed for some reason.

On another note I had my mother come over and bring me some of her pain meds which were some 20mg Oxy and while they do take away the pain they made me sick as shit, throwing up from them and just feeling almost like I had the flu, I tried taking 1/2 of the dose and cutting them up but to the same effect. I don't know if they just effect me different than some people but I have no idea why the fuck people would abuse and take these types of pills. I have known people who take them almost recreationally and it makes no goddamn sense.

• 1Truth!

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
My brother threw up from oxy too

When I had my wisdom teeth taken out I was given hydrocodone to pretty much the same effect. Good for pain relief but the side effects fuck me up. I guess I don't get the euphoria effect the druggies get. :mad:

• 1Like

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
It's all located on the inside of the knee so judging by that picture it could be the MCL or the Meniscus, I haven't been to the doctor to check it out. Yes the pain is sporadic the first few days it was fucking awful and my leg felt like it would buckle whenever I would walk, now I am limping around with it and once in a while I will step wrong and it will just flare up. The other thing with this kind of injury at least for me is that the pain isn't constant I might be able to sit for a while and it's ok and the next day it fucking awful. Oddly enough the worse as I mentioned previously is when trying to sleep in the bed for some reason.

On another note I had my mother come over and bring me some of her pain meds which were some 20mg Oxy and while they do take away the pain they made me sick as shit, throwing up from them and just feeling almost like I had the flu, I tried taking 1/2 of the dose and cutting them up but to the same effect. I don't know if they just effect me different than some people but I have no idea why the fuck people would abuse and take these types of pills. I have known people who take them almost recreationally and it makes no goddamn sense.

20mg is a pretty high dose.

I give 5mg for post operative pain.

But I agree, I would stay away from pain meds and stick to NSAIDs (600-800mg Ibuprofen every 8 hours). Elevate, ice, compression, etc.

Also don’t take the Ibuprofen if you have GI or bleeding issues or some reason not to.

CYAing myself, not your doctor, etc 😂

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

I'm probably the resident expert on knee injury, as I've had six meniscus surgeries and torn ligaments several times over 20 years of martial arts. Medial pain combined with the feeling of buckling and audible cracking sounds more like meniscus problems than ligament damage to me (although you certainly may also have ligament damage). Given that, if it's still bothering you like this weeks later I would strongly suggest going to an orthopedist. Minor meniscus tears tend to become asymptomatic as the inflammation subsides after several days of rest. Intermittent, sharp pain persisting through multiple weeks is an indication that the damage is substantial and you may well be making it worse in every "flare up" episode. If you have a badly torn meniscus, you really don't want to continue degrading it. Complex meniscus tears can become un-fixable short of removing all your cartilage and condemning you to an early knee replacement.

• 1Truth!

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I’m on doxy right now. It’s brutal without food prep before. I figured that out and now am doing okay with it.

I always tell my patients doxycycline causes serious nausea and that while it is preferred to take it on an empty stomach, take that shit with food. Lol.

• 1Truth!