Health Problems

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Had a kidney stone that was confirmed via CT a year ago. Since then I've had several episodes that I thought were stones, but turns out were caused by metastatic lymphadenopathy (lymph nodes swelling due to cancer spreading) around my kidney.

Was blown away when I found out the other episodes weren't stones. Felt just like kidney stone pain but worse.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
just had a CT and a PET done last week. no stones, just lymph nodes.

they say cancer isn't painful, but that's just in the early stages. turns out late stage testicular cancer hurts a fucking lot.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I am going to be undergoing some ACL / MCL / PCL reconstruction in the next couple of weeks. I have never had a significant surgery in my life before. When I was in the ER they referred me to Twin Cities Orthopedics, which seems like a good place. They have taken care of me well (as far as I can tell) so far. I have seen three of their doctors escalating their specialty each time (Knee / Shoulder Guy > ACL Guy > Multi Ligament guy).

He seems like a good guy so far, friendlier than the second doctor, seems to know his stuff and sports medicine, etc.

I also have a second (fourth?) opinion tomorrow with the surgeon that my physical trainer 'strongly recommends'. I am not sure if I am reading too much into her saying 'strongly recommends' or not. Does that mean she has just worked with the other surgeon before? That she had a bad experience with the other doctor and isn't naming names? Who knows.

Regardless, I sent each doctor a series of questions asking the basics on # of reconstructions they have done, success / failure / complication rate, infection / revision / reinjury rate and am pending those answers. I pretty much have analysis paralysis at the moment. This is a huge deal for me as it is going to play a huge factor in returning to a sport that has changed my life (and my knee) in so many ways.

How in the holy hell does someone completely unqualified to make the decision select a surgeon?

EDIT: Also, I hope this is a general health issues thread.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
You should always get more than one opinion for big surgeries. I've been given many recommendations like that for doctors. From people whose medical opinions I trusted I would at least have a consultation appointment with that doctor. I always ended up going with those doctors too.
In the end it never hurts to hear another opinion.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I got hydrocodone and oxy thrown at me over here in NC and can't get a doctor to write a prescription for Ambien without a serious amount of work. I just like having it available.

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
I got hydrocodone and oxy thrown at me over here in NC and can't get a doctor to write a prescription for Ambien without a serious amount of work. I just like having it available.
I think it depends on where you are. Down here in Florida, after all the crap that has gone on about the pill mills here, doctors are still willing to prescribe, but refills are difficult due to all the abuse.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
It also helps that I've been with my doctors for 4 years now and have had multiple surgeries and chemo. So they know what I've been through and never hassle me about anything I ask for. I can even pick my post op narcotics with them. Fentanyl is the drug of choice at the moment. Morphine turns my bowels to cement for days and causing more pain than it helps.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Today is the first day in 2 years I've felt worth a shit. Didn't hurt all that bad and actually had some energy. It's probably the calm before the storm.

Another appointment Tuesday and and more testing.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have to go in to convenient care for my nose yet again tomorrow. Some kind of lump formed inside my nose against my septum back when my sinus first exploded into a bloody mess, and while the doctor wasn't concerned, now it hurts all the damn time, I had an absolutely epic 'death by exsanguination' nosebleed yesterday, and I'm pretty sure the lump has somehow moved up higher inside my nose as well.

Shit is so fucking irritating.

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
So, I finally passed a kidney stone on Sunday morning. Managed to save it and dropped it off to the Urologist office today. Hope to god they don't lose it because I need to figure out what type they are. From my own limited experience, itlookslike a uric acid stone, at least from the shape. I am really hoping so because those seem like they are the easiest to deal with medicine wise. But, I am still pushing to get a Uric Acid test done (Due to my father having dealt with High Uric Acid all his life) and also get a 24 hour urine test done, in case my now drinking a lot more fluids has changed things internally.

Im also looking into working out to lose weight but I'll put that in the other thread.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Turns out the lump in my nose was just a septal deflection that got inflamed, never noticed any irregularities in my septum before because I've never had a reason to go cramming my fingers up there until the doctor told me to use the antibiotic. Anyway the ENT guy cauterized it, which hurts like a sumbitch even through the lidocaine, but if it makes this shit finally go away I'll take it.

Pre-cautery pic, blurry cause it's just a quick cell-phone picture of a computer screen.

rrr_img_128133.jpg

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Well finally some fucking good news! CT Scan came back good today. No recurrences and nothing new. Just some hernia shit going on but that's not new or news to me. All in all great results. I can finally exhale now. lol

Crazily

N00b
Uh...yeah. Opioids are schedule II drugs and require a physical prescription. And he won't prescribe anything stronger than Tramadol? LOL. I swear...some of these physicians are just so anal and nervous about prescribing pain medication.
They are "anal" about it because its a huge problem. Opiate abuse/addiction and OD has skyrocketed over the last several years.