Molten Core Raider
Got my test results back.

CHOLESTEROL223 mg/dL<200 mg/dL
TRIGLYCERIDE45 mg/dL<150 mg/dL
HDL62 mg/dL40 - 59 mg/dL
LDL CALCULATED152 mg/dL<100 mg/dL
NON-HDL CHOLESTEROL161 mg/dL<130 mg/dL

This is the note the doctor put on them:

"Your LDL is high as expected from previous. I would just suggest trying to increase dietary fiber and reduce animal fats as discussed. Everything else looks good!"

The kicker to all this is that my LDL:HDL ratio is 2.5. Men with a ratio under 3.4 have half the average risk of heart disease than men over it, and a fourth of the risk of men with a ratio 5 or greater. In fact, my HDL is almost 29% of my total cholesterol which would mean I'm on the very high side of the population. All of this to say that these numbers seem to indicate I am perfectly healthy and should probably be advised to continue doing whatever diet and exercise routine that got me here in the first place.

This is shit I expect a GP to know, especially since obesity, diabetes, and heart disease are the biggest health issues facing people in the US at this time.

Yeah, your HDL is what I would kill for. Mine is always around 42.

The whole thing with cholesterol and heart disease is that the numbers simply don't show if it's making it into the arteries and causing the bulges that catch the plaque that creates blockages.

I am not sure if a GP can order a calcium score or CT Angiogram as easily as a cardiologist can.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande

The whole thing with cholesterol and heart disease is that the numbers simply don't show if it's making it into the arteries and causing the bulges that catch the plaque that creates blockages.

I am not sure if a GP can order a calcium score or CT Angiogram as easily as a cardiologist can.

You don't even seem to need anything to get a calcium score done. When my GP saw my cholesterol was high, he simply told me to call some imaging center at a specific hospital and ask for one, which I did. Didn't need a script or anything.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Got my test results back.

CHOLESTEROL223 mg/dL<200 mg/dL
TRIGLYCERIDE45 mg/dL<150 mg/dL
HDL62 mg/dL40 - 59 mg/dL
LDL CALCULATED152 mg/dL<100 mg/dL
NON-HDL CHOLESTEROL161 mg/dL<130 mg/dL

This is the note the doctor put on them:

"Your LDL is high as expected from previous. I would just suggest trying to increase dietary fiber and reduce animal fats as discussed. Everything else looks good!"

The kicker to all this is that my LDL:HDL ratio is 2.5. Men with a ratio under 3.4 have half the average risk of heart disease than men over it, and a fourth of the risk of men with a ratio 5 or greater. In fact, my HDL is almost 29% of my total cholesterol which would mean I'm on the very high side of the population. All of this to say that these numbers seem to indicate I am perfectly healthy and should probably be advised to continue doing whatever diet and exercise routine that got me here in the first place.

This is shit I expect a GP to know, especially since obesity, diabetes, and heart disease are the biggest health issues facing people in the US at this time.

LDL is not directly measured by lipid panels and tends to be overestimated in people with low trigs, so chances are that your numbers are better than what were calculated.

Note for those considering CT calcium score: many insurance companies (pretty much all of the Blue plans other than BCBSTX) consider it experimental/investigational (AKA, thou shalt pay the complete cost out of pocket.) When I was reviewing radiology requests for medical necessity, they were auto-deny for pretty much any state other than TX because they have a state mandate that forces them to be covered under narrow criteria.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Stepdad admitted.for being shaky, short of breath,.and slightly purple skin. They're thinking pneumonia but aren't sure yet

• 2Solidarity

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Have this decent size bruise on my thigh for like 3 weeks now. It's healing I think but fucking snail's pace. I've always been really easy to bruise and slow healing when it comes to bruises. Often times end on with bruises on legs and nfc why.

Any md's or nurses think I should see the doc? Shit doesn't hurt.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Have this decent size bruise on my thigh for like 3 weeks now. It's healing I think but fucking snail's pace. I've always been really easy to bruise and slow healing when it comes to bruises. Often times end on with bruises on legs and nfc why.

Any md's or nurses think I should see the doc? Shit doesn't hurt.

If you are seeing good color change, I wouldn't see a doc.

I know what Noodleface means re: bruises & diabetes because I've been around it. Its sort of scared me into cutting sugar to just x1 per day, and ultimately I'd like to not have sugar x1 day but perhaps just a handful of times a week, or not at all (fat chance! ha ha). I've seen how even a early stage type II can accumulate bruises pretty easy and the dark spots dont seem to go anywhere. They end up getting "walking dead" body.

If you are seeing dark to yellow, you're fine. You just bled a lot or smashed yourself pretty good. I wouldn't read into the 3 weeks if color changes are good. Only hit the doc if more bruises pop up that you can't account for.

If you are 3 weeks and you still have darkness-- I'd ask a doctor but wouldn't go out of my way unless there was no positive signs of healing.

Last edited:

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
LDL is not directly measured by lipid panels and tends to be overestimated in people with low trigs, so chances are that your numbers are better than what were calculated.

Note for those considering CT calcium score: many insurance companies (pretty much all of the Blue plans other than BCBSTX) consider it experimental/investigational (AKA, thou shalt pay the complete cost out of pocket.) When I was reviewing radiology requests for medical necessity, they were auto-deny for pretty much any state other than TX because they have a state mandate that forces them to be covered under narrow criteria.

So I was pissed about my results and decided to get a $50 heart scan.

Results came back with at 0. No calcium buildup in my heart.

I was pretty happy about that, but can't shove it in my doctor's face the way that I really want to.

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
So I was pissed about my results and decided to get a $50 heart scan.

Results came back with at 0. No calcium buildup in my heart.

I was pretty happy about that, but can't shove it in my doctor's face the way that I really want to.

Yeah, mine was 0 as well. Doctor then decided to not put me on statins even though my bad cholesterol and triglycerides are through the roof.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I've been having mental/memory issues kind of sneak up on me. Today it hit pretty hard. Got a phone call and I had no idea what they were talking about. Just played it safe and said "thank you" and they mentioned the person that recommended me. I called the person they mentioned and asked them. Made me feel about an inch tall. They knew I had issues and I was working for them when all this started. Still made me feel about an inch tall and it's still kind of fuzzy. Really scary.

About two weeks ago it took me a few days to remember the name of my fishing partner for the last 25 years. Finally found a picture of him and me together fishing and turned it over and it had his name.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I've been having mental/memory issues kind of sneak up on me. Today it hit pretty hard. Got a phone call and I had no idea what they were talking about. Just played it safe and said "thank you" and they mentioned the person that recommended me. I called the person they mentioned and asked them. Made me feel about an inch tall. They knew I had issues and I was working for them when all this started. Still made me feel about an inch tall and it's still kind of fuzzy. Really scary.

About two weeks ago it took me a few days to remember the name of my fishing partner for the last 25 years. Finally found a picture of him and me together fishing and turned it over and it had his name.
Yeah been getting a lot of this past year, it's scary shit when you spend your entire life having an impeccable memory, and suddenly you can't even remember why you walked to the kitchen. Other day I literally walked to kitchen 5 fucking times, forgot why every fucking time. I do shit like that constantly now, even issues with remembering words, or moments I completely forget the meaning of words. I feel like I have Alzheimers sometimes, but these fucks still can't figure out whats wrong with me. I have a new MRI appointment, but I gotta wait 3 months.

Borzak

The little stuff I don't worry about so much. Like forgetting when I took my medicine or why I walked to another room and such. But I'm sure the lady that called thought I was on some kind of super duper drug. Called to tell me they were publishing a deal I worked on a year ago and were editing out the part on cutting corners I added. At least my ex boss didn't sweat it much when I called. Of course he's probably thinking "no more recommendations" to him.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Yeah, I had a few years like that around 2001-2003. Most likely due to being manic depressive for a long time. I had long stretches where I couldn't remember who I was or my family. Did some digging later and found out it's called a fugue state. But the brain is a complex and wonky piece of hardware, and the OS is full of bugs, sometime literally.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Well when my computer screws up I turn it off and start over. Not sure I have that option unfortonuetly heh.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Well, decided to do some mangrooming this morning for the first time in a while, and noticed two small black raised mole looking things at the base of my dick shaft. Some quick googling and I’ve either got moles, genital warts, or less likely dick cancer. Yippee.

iannis

Musty Nester

This is also a part of aging.

I have to hunt for vocabulary that ten years ago I had instant recall on. I know it sounds trivial, and it is somewhat, but I'll go over word lists in my head during idle time as sort of a childhood habit. So it really sticks out to me when I can't find the word. Cutting my sugar actually helped some. That's just me, not a reccomendation.

All I'm saying is it's not early onset alzheimers. Fugue states are pretty intense if that's what it was. When you're young you use drugs to induce them, when you're old you use drugs to avoid them.

• 2Like

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Well, decided to do some mangrooming this morning for the first time in a while, and noticed two small black raised mole looking things at the base of my dick shaft. Some quick googling and I’ve either got moles, genital warts, or less likely dick cancer. Yippee.

Bwhahaha. You should send me or one of the other nurses/MDs here a pic to let ya know. Doesn't sound like warts, though. Lol.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Stepdad released from the hospital. He's been delivering gas for 40 years and they said he's got a chronic lung disease that i don't know the name of from all the fumes. Dang

I've been working out 4 times a week and noticed a lot of positive things happening with my dong but also my legs. Here's to hoping my body starts making a turn around.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
This is also a part of aging.

I have to hunt for vocabulary that ten years ago I had instant recall on. I know it sounds trivial, and it is somewhat, but I'll go over word lists in my head during idle time as sort of a childhood habit. So it really sticks out to me when I can't find the word. Cutting my sugar actually helped some. That's just me, not a reccomendation.

All I'm saying is it's not early onset alzheimers. Fugue states are pretty intense if that's what it was. When you're young you use drugs to induce them, when you're old you use drugs to avoid them.

My vocab used to be on point and I could recall names of actors, bands, musicians and was great at playing things like 6 degrees from Kevin Bacon. Now I probably couldn't tell you two movies he's been.

Jk, A Few Good Men, Footloose, Invisible Dude (I actually can't remember the name of this one but I think it's Vanishing Man or well fuck).

• 1Worf