Health Problems

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I had a 40ish pound paver stone fall on my big toe last year during a hurricane when I was fumbling around my dark garage for a propane tank. It's still not %100 back but I'd say with maybe 2 months more growth all of the warped part will be gone and it will look normal again.

Mine lifted up at the cuticle but otherwise stayed in tact right after the brick crushed it. I think because there was a hole back there, it was able to drain and I never had to poke it or anything. It took about 5-6 weeks before it fell off and underneath it was kind of a half formed really short gnarly toenail. That was last October so I guess it will have been just about 10 months in total before it grew out and looked normal again. I've only recently had to start cutting it within the last 2-3 weeks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Anybody ever have their toe nail fall off and grow back? I'm curious how long it takes and if there's anything to help it come back faster.

A few months ago I dropped something heavy enough to cause a blood blister under my big toe nail. I saw a podiatrist when it seemed to be infected under the nail (thankfully the "infection" was surface level and was just debris between my nail and nail bed - ie I just needed to clean it out). The doc trimmed back the loose/raised edges but was otherwise unconcerned. Now pretty much the whole nail is lifting away from the nail bed so I imagine it's only a matter of time before it falls off completely.

About 3/4 of my nail bed is exposed and weirdly it isn't sensitive or even tender to the touch. It's coarse like sandpaper and hard like you'd expect if the nail itself were there. The missus (who is far more scientitous than I) says nails grow up as well as out and away from the cuticle. I had no idea 🤷

Had this happen before. Playing basketball in shoes that were too small without cutting my toenails in a while. Jumped for a rebound, landed, and broke both big toenails off in the nail bed when they caught the front inside part of the shoe. They take at least a year to grow back completely, sometimes longer if you are someone with slow nail and hair growth.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I had a 40ish pound paver stone fall on my big toe last year during a hurricane when I was fumbling around my dark garage for a propane tank. It's still not %100 back but I'd say with maybe 2 months more growth all of the warped part will be gone and it will look normal again.

Mine lifted up at the cuticle but otherwise stayed in tact right after the brick crushed it. I think because there was a hole back there, it was able to drain and I never had to poke it or anything. It took about 5-6 weeks before it fell off and underneath it was kind of a half formed really short gnarly toenail. That was last October so I guess it will have been just about 10 months in total before it grew out and looked normal again. I've only recently had to start cutting it within the last 2-3 weeks.
get an angled toenail clipper, b4 you need it 4PCS Toe Nail Clipper for Ingrown or Thick Toenails,Toenails Trimmer and Professional Podiatrist Toenail Nipper for Seniors with Surgical Stainless Steel Surper Sharp Blades Soft Grip Handle MATT MUR

these things are strong and are like fucking shears, more than nail clippers, but you want to make sure your toenail isn't growing at a funky angle or growing sharp at one end and cutting into your flesh.

• 1Solidarity

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Had this happen before. Playing basketball in shoes that were too small without cutting my toenails in a while. Jumped for a rebound, landed, and broke both big toenails off in the nail bed when they caught the front inside part of the shoe. They take at least a year to grow back completely, sometimes longer if you are someone with slow nail and hair growth.
I've done essentially that a few times. I think the worst time I lost almost all my nails, running up and down concrete stairs on a job site in work boots all day.

Now that I'm thinking about, I posted pics on FOH, and I bet I still have them somewhere

• 1Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Ripped off my big toe nail before, clean sweep. Took about a year to grow back. Definitely take lanxs advice and make sure it doesn't grow back ingrown, mine did. Bad.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Earlier tonight my brother told me he's basically prepping to be home/hospice bound very soon. It's not a surprise. Things have just been going that way for a while. Metastasized pancreatic cancer is a cunt. But he ain't dead yet and he's digging Dauntless so that'll be a good distraction for both of us.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I need to vent. The hospital I've gone to my whole life, my mom for her whole life, and where my grandma worked as a nurse for 40 years, was recently taken over by Ascension. Their only goal seems to be increasing revenue cycles and driving profit. Apparently, several departments have been wholesale replaced with in-house third-party contractors to get around insurance reimbursements so they can bill more to patients.

I had major knee surgery December 21st, 2018. My first round of bills consisted of five pieces, all billed separate, two of which were not from the hospital and nearly untouched by insurance. I paid off the three hospital bills and sent ~20% on the remaining two because they're thousands of dollars. They turned me over to "collections" for not paying in full right after they got my first payments. Next month's two bills come from a different company, and I get a call from Ascension a few days later threatening to turn me over to "collections" after I'd already gotten two separate bills from their "collections" agency.

Here's where it gets real stupid. It turns out their "collections" is really just their in-house third-party medical billing department. They keep sending separate bills, and I'm still paying on them. Tonight I got a call from these clownshoes threatening to stop sending me monthly bills if I don't stop sending "good faith" (their words) monthly payments and pay in full or agree to a plan where I keep sending them monthly payments.

I just don't even anymore with these people. How is this shit even legal?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I went thru similar crap. Had an MRI scheduled. Had to cancel at the last minute. Got a bill for the MRI and a bill from the radiologist to read MRI in another town. MRI never happendd. Got hospital to take off the actual MRI. The radiologist went thru the hospital. Took months to get it taken care of and it went to collections as well.

Two years before they sent a bill and I paid it. They kept sending bills for it. I sent them copies of cancelled checks. Nothing. It went to collections. I just wrote it off. Almost two years after it happened they sent me a refund for the amount. I had it taken off my credit report but jeeze took a lot of work and effort.

This didn't even involve insurance. Paid cash. I can imagine it worse when you involve insurance.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
I need to vent. The hospital I've gone to my whole life, my mom for her whole life, and where my grandma worked as a nurse for 40 years, was recently taken over by Ascension. Their only goal seems to be increasing revenue cycles and driving profit. Apparently, several departments have been wholesale replaced with in-house third-party contractors to get around insurance reimbursements so they can bill more to patients.

I had major knee surgery December 21st, 2018. My first round of bills consisted of five pieces, all billed separate, two of which were not from the hospital and nearly untouched by insurance. I paid off the three hospital bills and sent ~20% on the remaining two because they're thousands of dollars. They turned me over to "collections" for not paying in full right after they got my first payments. Next month's two bills come from a different company, and I get a call from Ascension a few days later threatening to turn me over to "collections" after I'd already gotten two separate bills from their "collections" agency.

Here's where it gets real stupid. It turns out their "collections" is really just their in-house third-party medical billing department. They keep sending separate bills, and I'm still paying on them. Tonight I got a call from these clownshoes threatening to stop sending me monthly bills if I don't stop sending "good faith" (their words) monthly payments and pay in full or agree to a plan where I keep sending them monthly payments.

I just don't even anymore with these people. How is this shit even legal?

I've encountered this. My insurance handles third party billing by sending the payment to me! So I become the escrow. It's stupid. It's even stupider when the third party bill never arrives. Seems ripe to me for all sorts of scamming.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
The health system I use that works best for my insurance does that "in house collections" thing. My wife freaked out one time and called the billing department and they said not to worry about it, it's not real collections. They are actually pretty flexible on billing, I just called them and say I need to make payments and they'll automatically switch you to a six month or one year payment plan depending on how big it is. You can always pay it off earlier and no interest.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Earlier tonight my brother told me he's basically prepping to be home/hospice bound very soon. It's not a surprise. Things have just been going that way for a while. Metastasized pancreatic cancer is a cunt. But he ain't dead yet and he's digging Dauntless so that'll be a good distraction for both of us.
I negged you just because I was sad

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This is stupid

Usually every few months the inside of my nose smells strongly of smoke. Usually goes away so I don't even really think of it.

Recently my nose has smelled like smoke for ten days. Everything is pointing to hallucinations, or sinus issues (I don't feel anything wrong, but I had a bad sinus infection months ago), to of course cancer.

What do? Just tell my doctor I smell smoke? How serious is this (if we rule out cancer)?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
This is stupid

Usually every few months the inside of my nose smells strongly of smoke. Usually goes away so I don't even really think of it.

Recently my nose has smelled like smoke for ten days. Everything is pointing to hallucinations, or sinus issues (I don't feel anything wrong, but I had a bad sinus infection months ago), to of course cancer.

What do? Just tell my doctor I smell smoke? How serious is this (if we rule out cancer)?

serious question: do you pick your nose?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
do you live near / work near / commute through any industrial areas? perhaps you're more sensitive to some particular component of local pollution or something.