Health Problems

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
to be honest i was being generous. theres lots of uncommon presentations of common diseases that happen on a daily basis. like strokes that wont look like strokes. or a limited study from motion or a variety of other reasons that make it hard to find the otherwise common problem. these add up to an amount that isnt miniscule.
when i give a tech credit, its because they positioned the patient properly in the scanner, they lifted the arms when needed, they repeat sequences that need to be repeated, they use the appropriate field of view, and most importantly they ASK QUESTIONS when the history seems off from the requested exam. THOSE are the qualities i look for in a great tech, not the ability to read studies. but otherwise, yes i fully agree with you techs dont get enough credit, and specifically , techs that do an excellent job, arent made aware enough that the extra effort they make with regards to the above, is greatly appreciated and has a major impact on patient care.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'm not claustrophobic but that tight space did freak me out a bit. Dunno if it's just an older machine or what. I just kept my eyes closed and listened to music out of their shitty fucking headphones like I was taking a nap. Worked pretty well.

They have MRI machines that are open on one side for those that can't deal with an enclosed space. It doesn't bother me, but in eary plugs and I sleep for 2 hours.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
OMW to a CT scan myself today. This place usually gets me in and out of the machine in maybe 10 minutes tops, guess I'm lucky. :). Pretty open machine too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Just got news my dad has stage 3 esophageal cancer that spread to his lower lymph nodes and stomach. My dad just retired in May this year and cannot draw his SS till Dec when he is at 65.5 and now this. We lost my mom 13 years ago, she was a heavy smoker and her heart walls ruptured. Very good chance both my parents worked till late in life paying in and not draw a single penny of that pyramid scheme called retirement. Dr. he met with wants him to go for chemo/rad to shrink the tumors and see what it looks like for surgery, while the Dr. seemed positive he did say this one is an aggressive type cancer and did not even speculate on time remaining when pushed just deflected.

Getting old sucks and fuck cancer.

I have let my self go unchecked for a few years and put on some weight, so I guess this is my wake up call to get back in good shape running like I used to because I am not getting any younger.

• 5Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I was about 30 seconds away from epi penning my little brother yesterday.

He's fine, some yellow jackets just tore him the fuck up. Had to call the ambulance out for him.

Just your weekly reminder that shit can go sideways real fast. It's a freak thing, they had to have hit a vein. I killed the fuck out of their hive.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

orcmauler

Golden Squire
Agreed, yellowjackets can go to hell, had one sting me in the tounge once as a youngster, then one stung me in the eye when I was a teenager. But, I have noticed west coast ones are a lot more chill than east coast ones. In NC, if I got within range of a yj nest, those fuckers would be jihading my ass. In OR they, for the most part, just buzz you constantly and annoy the piss out of you. That being said I highly recommend Rescue yj traps. I got mine out early this year and have killed 100s of queens thus far. The only caveat is you have to dump them somewhat regularly and change the bait as well. Note these traps do not attract honey bees (or any other I've seen) bees are cool.

20190725_163019.jpg

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Not sure if this is worth doing a new thread about: Dental implants. Anyone here have advice on the best way to go about getting these things when they're wildly overpriced and going up by the year?

I had a couple of adult teeth not come down the way they were supposed to, which caused the other teeth between them to migrate apart over the years. This means my top front teeth are getting kind of crooked and spaced, and you can really notice it now. I need to replace the front six (possibly seven) with implants, which cost about $3300 each. In the interest of not owing as much as I would on a new car, any ideas?

I did some research and from what I've read you can get implants done in Costa Rica for about $750 each, though it's upfront and requires flying down there. Am I better off going elsewhere to get them done or finding an insurance that'll cover them (if there is one, I've only been able to find plans like that for seniors) and just doing them here?

Also, having to get the teeth pulled and run around with no front teeth for a few weeks before I go to get implants done is going to be fun. I'll probably just do two of them at a time. Flights to Costa Rica are very inexpensive if it comes to that.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Had a pretty bad experience tonight.

Got my dad steel panther tickets, about a two hour ride to venue. Whole way up he's fine, but we have 3 piss stops. He's diabetic, so I understand.

Get to the venue and we park a block away. Whole walk there he's complaining about how far it is. And also even though we drove by it, he assures me it's the opposite direction were walking. Get inside and piss #4 or #5 happens. Afterwards he comes over and complains we have to stand. Over the course of two songs I see him shift a bunch of ways, leaning heavily against the wall. At one point he's slouching hard. I say "let's see if we can find you a chair" and I get nothing, just a completely blank and pale face.

I find him a chair and he's cool for awhile. A couple more songs and he asks when we can leave. I say whenever he wants and again blank face.

We get outside and he can't walk. He's stumbling and tripping over everything. Also he can't say a coherent sentence. He sound 100% hammered. I know what this is, extremely low sugar. But how? Does standing cause blood sugar drops?

Anyways he refuses to get a drink and refuses to let me drive. I mean, he's acting 100% hammered this is bad. He takes off and he is weaving in and out of lanes, cutting people off BARELY and screaming at other drivers. Eventually I say pull the fuck over, I'm driving and he gives up. It took almost two hours before he was normal again.

By the way when I was driving he was saying I was all over the road. When I was driving perfectly.

The other bad thing is his legs. He walks very stiff legged now and he has to lift his legs with his arms up into the car, like they're paralyzed. Assuming he has massive nerve damage in his legs and won't admit it.

I had to vent this shit

orcmauler

Golden Squire
Ouch. Diabetic neuropathy is definitely a thing; a lot of my family are diabetics and they all suffer this in varying degrees. Their feet and legs essentially are numb for lack of a better word and they get stiff legged like that, in addition to other, mor serious foot and leg issues.
Furthermore, what it sounds like is your dad had a diabetic episode (could be low or high blood sugar). Again my personal experience with family members is similar, i.e. had an uncle plow a set of fields and have to have police and EMS called out because he was so far gone in a diabetic coma he should have been dead. I know in my uncle's case it was a combo of poor blood sugar management as well as the severity of his type of diabetes. Add to that he was a macho motherfucker and this shit happened a lot till he got a pump installed.

So. TLDR, your dad ain't treating his blood sugar like he should and yes it is scary as hell, sorry.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Neuropathy in the feet/legs was the worst part of chemo. I had to sit on a stool in the shower just to bathe myself because I couldn't feel the tub beneath my feet and standing wasn't an option as a result. It affected everything.

Might be time to explore a walker or cane for him if he's getting it really bad, though it sounds like he'll be too stubborn to go along with it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
He's the most stubborn man I've ever met. No matter what we say he won't listen, and worse hell say everything is fine. He was treating himself with drugs from Mexico and hadn't been to the doctor in 10 years saying the doctor didn't know what he was talking about prescribing insulin. His body is probably destroyed.

I felt like a drunk drive was driving me home last night and my life was flashing before my eyes

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Noodleface Noodleface Sorry bro, I would've called 911 right then and there. You can't think it is low blood sugar even though you may think it is because hypoglycemia can imitate strokes and strokes can imitate hypogylycemia. Hope he's fine now.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Noodleface Noodleface Sorry bro, I would've called 911 right then and there. You can't think it is low blood sugar even though you may think it is because hypoglycemia can imitate strokes and strokes can imitate hypogylycemia. Hope he's fine now.
Yeah in hindsight maybe that's true. The only thing that lead me not to believe it was a stroke was half of his face wasn't drooping and he could lift his arm and shit.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
BE FAST is just a mneumonic people can use in a very fast situation. The NIH Stroke Scale is a LONG list of things to do to the patient.

The-National-Institutes-of-Health-Stroke-Scale-form-used-by-Providence-Health-System.png

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Judging by what you said, he would've scored a >4 on the NIH stroke scale. Again, hypoglycemia IS a great imitator. I just don't want people to come into the hospital >4 hours later cause they were too fucking stubborn.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
He's literally the most stubborn person I've ever met in my life.

Like I said, hindsight maybe I should've just called 911. I forgot to add when. We got in the car he couldn't even put the address in. Like he was going to touch the screen and was hitting random buttons in the car

Bad night

orcmauler

Golden Squire
Yeah sorry, iirc you have diabetes too? If previous post was mansplaining crap you already know, disregard. Your dad sounds a lot like my uncle, from the previous post. He did a lot of things he shouldn't have with his severity of diabetes and it caught up with him, drastically. Both sound a lot like the threads a few back as to how guys macho through shit they shouldn't.