Health Problems

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Yes and no. If you drink 4 hard drinks every day and you stop, you will go through withdrawal. Things like beer or 4 glasses of wine (that's kind of a lot every day) not so much.

The truest answer though: if you're asking, YES IT IS TOO MUCH.

You have to consume a huge huge amount of alcohol daily to worry about physical withdrawals. Waaaaay more than 4 drinks a day.

Anomander Rake

Golden Knight of the Realm
What's up nerds. Haven't been around since Rerolled, partially due to having two kids, and being two years into a cancer diagnosis (Multiple Myeloma, no cure, got diagnosed 1 month after my son was born). Laying on the couch as my bone marrow fires stem cells into my blood stream (neuprogen?) and it hurts like hell. Going in for stem cell retrieval on Monday after another 3 shots of this stuff tomorrow, so that I can ice some stem cells in case of emergency. I've been told that I can expect to live 30+ years with this (46 now), but getting cancer really does a number on you mentally. Besides my wife, I don't really talk about it with too many other people. People get weird when you bring it up. I guess they don't want to think about their own mortality. Things could always be worse, as my chemo doesn't have too many side effects, but again it's a mindfuck having this and knowing there is no cure. My therapist says that many people live with things that have no cure (Lupus, etc), so it's not like I'm alone. Anyway, getting old sucks!

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
What's up nerds. Haven't been around since Rerolled, partially due to having two kids, and being two years into a cancer diagnosis (Multiple Myeloma, no cure, got diagnosed 1 month after my son was born). Laying on the couch as my bone marrow fires stem cells into my blood stream (neuprogen?) and it hurts like hell. Going in for stem cell retrieval on Monday after another 3 shots of this stuff tomorrow, so that I can ice some stem cells in case of emergency. I've been told that I can expect to live 30+ years with this (46 now), but getting cancer really does a number on you mentally. Besides my wife, I don't really talk about it with too many other people. People get weird when you bring it up. I guess they don't want to think about their own mortality. Things could always be worse, as my chemo doesn't have too many side effects, but again it's a mindfuck having this and knowing there is no cure. My therapist says that many people live with things that have no cure (Lupus, etc), so it's not like I'm alone. Anyway, getting old sucks!

I was talking to a guy in his late 60's recently who had this or something very similar. He's been dealing with it for 10 years now, and while it's not an easy thing to deal with when it comes to his treatments: he's doing pretty good and has no reason to expect a downturn.

The way I accepted my own cancer problems that helps me live with the high chance of it coming back is just accepting that I'm going to go out one way or another. So it being something incurable (genetic stuff for me) that I'll always have to deal with doesn't really make a difference.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Anomander Rake Anomander Rake that sounds really rough. You seem pretty upbeat about it. Here's hoping for the best for you.

My dumb question of the day is can you get into serious issues with lack of sleep. I'm going on between 36 and 48 hours now with no sleep. I used to do it quite often working at home to get a job done. I'm not in near the shape physically and mentally I was then. Anyone know? I googled it and you get all sorts of BS answers.

Anomander Rake

Borzak Borzak @Dom Thanks fellas. Dom I had no idea you've gone through your own (sounds like it's handled now?) cancer battles. I hope the best for you as well, and I like your outlook. Do you mind sharing what type of cancer? How was it treated? Something is going to get all of us, so maybe I can look at my diagnosis as another way to work on acceptance. Borzak - I've been through getting sober at 27 (alcohol abuse / crack and powder cocaine), then spent 9 years getting to the bottom of my wife's fertility issues, so I have some experience with getting to the other side of uphill battles. Although I spent most of 2018 in shock, and a good portion of 2019 being pissed. Finally having my son be born (2 years after my daughter) to find out that the extreme back pain I had while sleeping on the shitty maternity ward couches was spinal fractures was pretty infuriating. I did get some Oxy today for the bone pain (which I have to be very careful with), so a little feel good right now is pretty nice. Just putting one foot in front of the other and reminding myself that I have to be here as long as possible for my kids and wife helps me get through the worst of it.

Not sure about short or long term affects from lack of sleep Borzak. I read a study a while ago that mentioned getting less than 7-8 hours of sleep on a regular basis can decrease life expectancy, but take it with a grain of salt as it's probably bullshit, and another medical study to keep that sweet, sweet grant money coming in. I've heard of adrenal fatigue too, but after looking it up it's more B.S. pseudoscience, like you said.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Borzak Borzak @Dom Thanks fellas. Dom I had no idea you've gone through your own (sounds like it's handled now?) cancer battles. I hope the best for you as well, and I like your outlook. Do you mind sharing what type of cancer? How was it treated? Something is going to get all of us, so maybe I can look at my diagnosis as another way to work on acceptance. Borzak - I've been through getting sober at 27 (alcohol abuse / crack and powder cocaine), then spent 9 years getting to the bottom of my wife's fertility issues, so I have some experience with getting to the other side of uphill battles. Although I spent most of 2018 in shock, and a good portion of 2019 being pissed. Finally having my son be born (2 years after my daughter) to find out that the extreme back pain I had while sleeping on the shitty maternity ward couches was spinal fractures was pretty infuriating. I did get some Oxy today for the bone pain (which I have to be very careful with), so a little feel good right now is pretty nice. Just putting one foot in front of the other and reminding myself that I have to be here as long as possible for my kids and wife helps me get through the worst of it.

Not sure about short or long term affects from lack of sleep Borzak. I read a study a while ago that mentioned getting less than 7-8 hours of sleep on a regular basis can decrease life expectancy, but take it with a grain of salt as it's probably bullshit, and another medical study to keep that sweet, sweet grant money coming in. I've heard of adrenal fatigue too, but after looking it up it's more B.S. pseudoscience, like you said.

Mine was just colon cancer brought on by a genetic thing. It's solved now but the genetic side of it makes it highly likely it will return in some form or another.

Borzak

Man that sounds like a rough life so far Anomander Rake Anomander Rake . I'm not too worried about life expectency. I don't want to go cuckoo for cocoa puffs. I feel great today and got out and walked around for quite a while in the sun. Maybe I'll go two days without sleep more often.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Anomander Rake

Mine was just colon cancer brought on by a genetic thing. It's solved now but the genetic side of it makes it highly likely it will return in some form or another.

Good that you have some reprieve for now. Not sure how colon cancer is treated, but hopefully not the hair-falling out, nuke your body kind. My doc told me that if I was going to get cancer, this was one of the better ones to get as breakthroughs are happening 3-4 times a year right now. So it's suppressed, and it's still there, but it's so suppressed that it doesn't really show up. Pretty crazy.

Borzak Borzak yeah, having auditory and visual hallucinations sucks - I had a brief stint with meth is my early twenties, but was able to give it up relatively easily because the no sleep shit sucked donkey balls. Have you tried taking magnesium? It can help calm you down if you are feeling stressed or anxious, which is what can keep me up all night.

Borzak

Yeah I have multiple issues myself and I take magnesium everyday to help with the intestinal problems. It's not a big deal. I do this from time to time. Today was the first day I noticed I felt much better with lack of sleep. Normally I'm dragging ass. I really do not have a regular schedule and haven't for the last 20 years.

iannis

Musty Nester
Lack of sleep is usually self correcting.

What exactly the problems will be... It's not a young science but not a well established one either. The body does use sleep as a sort of repair and maintenance cycle. You don't need studies for that, it should be no shi t tier.

Real insomnia is miserable. When you get too tired to sleep.

You can get too hungry to eat, too. Refeeding edema. you have to nearly starve to death for that to happen. We are tolerances.

Don't try to run until you collapse. Try to get some rest, and hopefully sleep follows.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Borzak

I finally got several hours of sleep.

My copaxone injections are going much better this time. It's offered in 20mg you take 7 days a week or 40mg you take 3 times a week.

First time I took the 40mg and now I take the 20mg. It's working out much better. Less big bumps and hard spots. Obviously giving half as much works out better. I hear lots of people talking they really want to go to 40mg to reduce the hassle of 7 days a week injections. I don't see it. Takes a minute tops to load the injector and do it. Then all the hassles with problems at the injection site.

The hospital that gave me the prescription has changed the way they do it. Before I had to get it from the pharmacy of the company that made it. I could not get them to stop calling once a day to check to see if things are going well. Now the pharmacy is just an hour away and they have called once and told me a new shipment was coming overnight and they would send me a new injector that had some changes I could try. Works out much better.

• 1Like

Borzak

Got my new continuous blood glucose monitor. One problem hopefully addressed for now. Start new insulin type soon as I'm sure it's working. Light at the end of the tunnel approaches.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
My doc said I have a heavily damaged Rotator Cuff. Anyone know how long to heal this kind of thing? Been sleeping sitting up unable to find a position where my arm isnt feeling like it's on fire. Was prescribed Gabapentin for the pain. What?

• 1Solidarity

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
My doc said I have a heavily damaged Rotator Cuff. Anyone know how long to heal this kind of thing? Been sleeping sitting up unable to find a position where my arm isnt feeling like it's on fire. Was prescribed Gabapentin for the pain. What?

Man, shoulder pain is one of the most infuriating conditions. I had one week a while back that it felt like my arm was just going to fall off at the shoulder. MRI was the most painful experience I've ever had, ended up getting a couple steroid shots in the area and that eventually cleared it up. Hope you can get some sleep sitting up like that. No sleep was the worst part of it for me.

• 1Solidarity

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Man, shoulder pain is one of the most infuriating conditions. I had one week a while back that it felt like my arm was just going to fall off at the shoulder. MRI was the most painful experience I've ever had, ended up getting a couple steroid shots in the area and that eventually cleared it up. Hope you can get some sleep sitting up like that. No sleep was the worst part of it for me.
Thanks for the encouragement! Knowing it will get healed is reassuring!

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Resting heart rate feels super high. My fitbit tells me it's 95 which is at the top end of normal, but a lot of times during the day I'm hitting 120

Should I prepare to die? The shitty thing is when I went to the doctor the nurse said my heart rate was fine. I thought my fitbit was screwing up, but I timed it and it isn't. Think she was just bad

Thinking about switching gears and running for an hour 4-5 times a week.

Borzak

My resting has always been ear the top end of the scale. 90+. My blood pressure has always been on the low end of the scale. I never really felt it as an issue, I guess it was always normal for me. Then the medical issues I would get resting at 120 for short blips and went through a lot of testing. Then it got higher and more testing. Finally cardiologist finally said it must be nerve related and just prescribed me something to slow it back down to 85ish. I still can't tell any different.

The regular doctor visit their reading normally is pretty close to what I get on my oximeter. Not sure about the fitbit. I looked at fitbit to use for something else. Are they normally accurate? You can get an oximeter to show it from time to time for < $20.

Last edited:

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Resting heart rate feels super high.

I'm not a doctor, but 95-120 seems high outside of exercise. I've always run on the low side, but I'm typically 60-70 walking around and when I was in competition shape for ju jitsu 40-45 at true rest.

Last edited:

iannis

Musty Nester
Shoulders are terrible. It's gonna take a while, and it won't ever really heal right. The shoulder is the most fucked up joint in your entire body. It's just a mess of ligaments, tendons, and muscle all wrapped around a weak ball and socket joint.

It should stop hurting within a week or two though.

I wish the news was better, but shoulders are not good.

• 1Like