Health Problems

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Yeah, they thought she had a mild UTI and ran the CT as a precaution. Voila, large kidney stone.
How large? <5mm = small, usually just prescribed alpha-blocker + nsaid +/- antibiotics if fever + ct in 3-6 weeks to see if the stone passed, given no hydronephrosis. Or jj-cath/urology magic to make it go away.

Ah, 13 mm. Depends on location. It can sit in the kidney itself with no symptoms. If it moves to the ureteres it’s a different, painful story.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How large? <5mm = small, usually just prescribed alpha-blocker + nsaid +/- antibiotics if fever + ct in 3-6 weeks to see if the stone passed, given no hydronephrosis. Or jj-cath/urology magic to make it go away.

13mm.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pee docs probably having a look-see on the scan to see if it’s their domain. They have all sorts of magic, shockwaves (eswl) and caths to fix stuff, or watchful wait.

It’s left side, not causing any fluid backup, with no pain/nausea/fever. They gave her an IV antibiotic before they discharged her, and sent her home with an Augmentin prescription and urology referral to follow up tomorrow morning.

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
It’s left side, not causing any fluid backup, with no pain/nausea/fever. They gave her an IV antibiotic before they discharged her, and sent her home with an Augmentin prescription and urology referral to follow up tomorrow morning.
No biggie then, standard care, good. I’ve yet to see a pee doc do anything hyperacute, unless it’s torsio testes. I’m guessing it’ll be watchful waiting - eswl / cath if it’s causing hydronefrosis, which is not likely if she’s asymptomatic as you describe.
Good luck, she’ll be fine :)

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
As long as you don't need a dose of potassium chloride. Went through that shit to save my heart and it was literally the worst. Usually they use that to kill poor fucks, but I survived that shit.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Kuriin Kuriin

Any chance you could get your husband to take a look at this for a friend of mine? I see a little edema, so it almost looks like early venous stasis to me, but 20s seems really young for PVD. Derm is not really my best area. Apparently insidious onset over about 5 years. Thanks.

20210218_125749.jpg

Fungus ruled out? Versicolor presents like this typically on the lower inner ankle. I'd say you should clear versicolor anyway. I'm not good with photos-- I need to see the shade of the spots with my own eyes.

If not fungus, then I'd say pigmented purpura from capillaritis. Which would make it Schamberg disease potentially. But if its got no symptoms besides appearance, versicolor.

Last edited:
  • 1Horowitz

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
scleroderma. Basically eliminate everything possible under the sun it cane be, then maybe. Would account for the brain lesions since it's much like lupus and that it does that which is why they work hard to relimate Lupus first from MS. The skin pain, the elevated heart rate and breathing difficulty. Also the tingling and pain in hands which I said first thing felt like my skin was stretching. It was. Also the massive fatigue. They can treat it but it gets rapidly more complicated due something else I won't get into now which can be fatal or cause brain damage. We'll see I guess. It's rare and rare to get it this bad this quick. What they first thought was shingles would account for that as well, they went with shingles was causing ADEM which is like a monophasic MS but very extreme for a short while.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
It’s never lupus. Beetus + mb. Cordis needs to be ruled out a priori.

• 1Worf

Borzak

Daughter of a friend of mine keeps having the buttefly rash and shows positive on her ANA test and they still won't even bring up the word Lupus.

Lupus is the first thing they test for when you have brain lesions because there's a test for it unlike much of the other junk. Even MS.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Daughter of a friend of mine keeps having the buttefly rash and shows positive on her ANA test and they still won't even bring up the word Lupus.

Lupus is the first thing they test for when you have brain lesions because there's a test for it unlike much of the other junk. Even MS.
It can be many things, malar rash, not exclusive to SLE by a long shot. ANA pos is not exclusive to SLE either. But yeah, sucks when it’s not clear cut diagnosis, true.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Had to spend a couple hours at the hospital today.

I swear, the people who work at the counters and deal with people up-front, are not paid enough money for that nonsense. Listening to multiple patients with room-temperature IQs interact with staff during my 30-45m wait was literally the worst part of being there. And I'm saying that when I was there for groin/testicle pain.

• 1Truth!

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Kuriin Kuriin

Any chance you could get your husband to take a look at this for a friend of mine? I see a little edema, so it almost looks like early venous stasis to me, but 20s seems really young for PVD. Derm is not really my best area. Apparently insidious onset over about 5 years. Thanks.

20210218_125749.jpg
Apologies. I'll have him look at it when he gets home. :)

Per him: Stasis dermatitis and very dry skin. Some edema as well. Support hose and Amlactin lotion (OTC).

Last edited:
  • 1Horowitz

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Had to spend a couple hours at the hospital today.

I swear, the people who work at the counters and deal with people up-front, are not paid enough money for that nonsense. Listening to multiple patients with room-temperature IQs interact with staff during my 30-45m wait was literally the worst part of being there. And I'm saying that when I was there for groin/testicle pain.

Triage is one of the worst aspects of ED nursing. Someone will say they are 10/10 pain while looking completely comfortable and on their phone. People do not understand that emergency department is meant for EMERGENCIES, not "I couldn't see my PCP in time to see this..." or stupid pregnancy/STD tests. :|

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
My mom has a 13mm kidney stone and literally zero symptoms of it. WTF.
I've had 4 stones. My biggest was 8.5. 3 had to be removed by force. 13 is insane

As someone else said, you never feel a stone until it falls and ping pongs down your ureter ( tune between kidney and bladder, ureter is between bladder and pee hole)

I found my 8.5 in the cat scan when a 4.5 feel and got stuck

• 1Solidarity

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Triage is one of the worst aspects of ED nursing. Someone will say they are 10/10 pain while looking completely comfortable and on their phone. People do not understand that emergency department is meant for EMERGENCIES, not "I couldn't see my PCP in time to see this..." or stupid pregnancy/STD tests. :|

This was a waiting room for imaging stuff. One woman must have been there for some sort of GI CAT scan. They brought out something for her to drink.

Patient: What is this?
Nurse: well, it's contrast so we can get a good image...
Patient: is it radioactive?
Nurse: No, no, it just has iodine in it...
Patient: but isn't that radioactive?
Nurse: I mean, no, it just helps with the image (insert mild technical jargon here)
Patient: ...so it *IS* radioactive!

I was just sitting there like "Damn, woman, what the fuck is wrong with you?" And that went on for a few minutes more, which was completely unnecessary.

The nurse left and she just sat there, staring at the bottle. She did not drink it. After maybe 10m, she gets up and marches her way to the front desk (where the lady is checking in another patient). She completely ignores the other patient checking in, and starts complaining about the bottle of contrast dye.

Patient: Ma'am...ma'am...MA'AM...
Front desk: Yeeeeeeesss?
Patient: OK, well, this bottle is open <holds up the bottle, so show lady the 'seal' on the plastic cap that's been broken>
Front desk: Well I'm sure she just..
Patient: ...and I just wanted to check, you know, to make sure...
Front desk: ...opened it for you, I'm sure it's safe...
Patient: ...because I want to make sure it's safe to drink...

Another lady in back says she'll go ask the nurse. But this woman wouldn't sit down. Wouldn't budge. She's hovering over the other patient who is trying to sign in, and everyone is staring at her. The lady at the front desk is like "you can sit down, she'll be back" but she refuses to budge. Fucking bizarre.

Woman comes back after several moments, with this "kill me now" look on her face: "She said she opened it for you" (broke the seal). So the lady looks down at the bottle and says "ok" in the saddest fucking voice possible, and waddles back to her seat. It was pretty clear she didn't want to drink it, but damn, LOL. She kind of reminded of the guy from Sling Blade.

There was an elderly woman who got wheeled in, and she was just going the fuck off. Apparently she didn't want to wear a mask, and was sperging out giving umpteen reasons she didn't need to wear one. One reason was "Don't you people know you don't need to wear a mask if you wear an oxygen mask? That's just the CDC guidance" <she has no mask, no oxygen; wtf?> and staff is clearly trying to not engage with her, besides saying "yes you need to wear a mask". The best was when she was like "go ahead, call security!" and I was thinking "Yes...YES! FUCKING DO IT!" But she HAD a mask and did start wearing it (kind of). She also was bitching up a storm because they wouldn't let her grand daughter come in with her (which I did think was odd; there were other people there in 2s and 3s) and she had to go wait in the car. Knowing grandma, her grand daughter refused to wear a mask and they booted her. Then I got to listen to her call her grand daughter and listen the THAT dysfunctional convo. That was a discussion spanning 3 generations of "None of you should have reproduced"

There was a woman who came in that didn't have a referral. Just bounced in there and tried telling them she needed something. When they told her you can't just walk in and ask for a scan, the woman told then to call her Dr and went to go sit down. No idea if anyone called her Dr though, LOL.

I couldn't get mad at the old dude that had his entire arm down his pants and kept grunting occasionally. That was weird, but maybe he was in pain? Or just rubbing his raisins? Fuck if I know.

• 1Worf

Borzak

Normally where I go for MRI's and CT scan is a private hospital with just diagnostic stuff and no ER. HUGE difference in going to that one and just a regular hospital. I've never even asked about the contrast. They give me something to drink and I drink it. Whatever it takes to get in and out the fastest. Of course it's also where I think I got covid last Early March, first person I ever saw with a mask on an oriental woman. I had never heard of such at that time. It was still China type news at that time.

Started small does of corticosteroids every 8 hours a few days ago. Finally got an an anti depressent prescription, it was much much easier to get prescriptions for tramadol, hydrocodene, oxycodene and oxycotin (not all at once) than an anti depressent. They can't figure out why they have an opiod problem. Boggles the mind.

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I've been dealing with what I thought was a hernia for 8 days now. I woke up on the 18th, felt fine, got into the shower, and at one point the pain hit me like someone kicked me in the balls (pain throughout my entire groin, and ballsack). I toughed it out and went to work. Pain was intense for a couple of hours, then went away. Friday, it wasn't as intense, but it lasted pretty much the entire day. So I told myself I'd wait until Monday, and if I still hurt, I'd make an appt.

The pain was kind of on-again, off-again, all weekend and early into this week. After that, it became a kind of constant pain in my balls, with a definite pain in a spot in my abdomen, right below my waistline.

I saw my new GP on Tuesday. He did the whole 'turn and cough' thing, then tells me he isn't sure what was up but that he didn't think it was a hernia. He scheduled me for the ultrasound/sono on Thursday.

I didn't think I would hear back until Monday, as they told me a radiologist was going to have to look at my results, and then contact my Dr about it. But I got a phone call from the office around lunch, and a lady tells me that I have Epididymitis. I guess, somehow, my right testicle (and all of the associated plumbing) is infected, and that the disctinct pain I felt under my waistline was some sort of horribly swollen lymph node (?).

So I guess I have an infection in my balls. Fucking FANTASTIC, LOL

I just stopped to pick up some antibiotic I've never heard of (Levofloxacin, 500mg, once every 24hrs for 10 days). I'm eating dinner now, because they told me it would be a good idea to eat 30m before taking one because...and I'm paraphrasing here...'it might tear you up'.

I guess it can give you nausea and diarrhea, along with a fuckton of other possible side effects, but I can live with all that as long as it works and this pain subsides.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I've been dealing with what I thought was a hernia for 8 days now. I woke up on the 18th, felt fine, got into the shower, and at one point the pain hit me like someone kicked me in the balls (pain throughout my entire groin, and ballsack). I toughed it out and went to work. Pain was intense for a couple of hours, then went away. Friday, it wasn't as intense, but it lasted pretty much the entire day. So I told myself I'd wait until Monday, and if I still hurt, I'd make an appt.

The pain was kind of on-again, off-again, all weekend and early into this week. After that, it became a kind of constant pain in my balls, with a definite pain in a spot in my abdomen, right below my waistline.

I saw my new GP on Tuesday. He did the whole 'turn and cough' thing, then tells me he isn't sure what was up but that he didn't think it was a hernia. He scheduled me for the ultrasound/sono on Thursday.

I didn't think I would hear back until Monday, as they told me a radiologist was going to have to look at my results, and then contact my Dr about it. But I got a phone call from the office around lunch, and a lady tells me that I have Epididymitis. I guess, somehow, my right testicle (and all of the associated plumbing) is infected, and that the disctinct pain I felt under my waistline was some sort of horribly swollen lymph node (?).

So I guess I have an infection in my balls. Fucking FANTASTIC, LOL

I just stopped to pick up some antibiotic I've never heard of (Levofloxacin, 500mg, once every 24hrs for 10 days). I'm eating dinner now, because they told me it would be a good idea to eat 30m before taking one because...and I'm paraphrasing here...'it might tear you up'.

I guess it can give you nausea and diarrhea, along with a fuckton of other possible side effects, but I can live with all that as long as it works and this pain subsides.

Levofloxacin (trade name is Levaquin) is broad spectrum, and yeah, it generally does a pretty bad number on all of the beneficial bacteria in your gut. Grab some probiotics or binge on yogurt for the next couple of weeks while you're taking it. I would expect some diarrhea; if you get The Worst Diarrhea of Your Life that does not go away, you may want to get evaluated for a gut bug called C. diff, because Levaquin is one of the antibiotics that is notorious for causing C. diff superinfections. The other thing you want to watch for is any weird muscle pain without any obvious trauma or cause, because it rarely can cause severe tendinitis.

Like all antibiotics, stay the course/take the entire prescribed regimen even if you start to feel better.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users