Hearthstone Tournament Sign-ups! Fifth RR HS Tournament!

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'd like to play but can someone explain to me this whole class banning/switching thing? Coming from MTG it seems bizarre and kills my interest in competitive hearthstone. It also quadruples the barrier to entry in having a good deck.
Tournaments in this format are either best of 5 or best of 7.

We play best of 5. You bring 4 decks: each deck must be a different class, no repeat classes.

When you are ready to play, you meet with your opponent and tell them which 4 decks(classes) you have brought.

They then ban 1 of them to which you cannot use in the match against that player.

After the ban stage it becomes 3 decks vs 3 decks. You can pick any of the 3 decks to start the match.

If you lose, you pick a new deck with the losing deck being eliminated.

If you win, you must play the same deck again.

Match ends when you defeated your opponents 3 decks.

Hope that helps.

The Master

Bronze Squire
I'd like to play but can someone explain to me this whole class banning/switching thing? Coming from MTG it seems bizarre and kills my interest in competitive hearthstone. It also quadruples the barrier to entry in having a good deck.
Doesn't a competitive deck in MTG run like $100-200 minimum to make? Assuming you're starting from scratch and going for one of the budget decks?

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Yeah, I have to agree with Master here. Hearthstone certainly has a barrier to entry in the upper echelons. But what TCG doesn't? It is part of the nature of these games that there are good and rare cards.

But on the other hand to complain that the barrier to too big to be bothered with when coming from a TCG-layperson's point of view is one thing, but to complain about it coming from an M:tG background is just, well, silly. After all, isn't this game just the Fischer Price to M:tG's FAO Shwarz? Shouldn't it cost proportionately less to begin with, by its very nature?

You can't have it both ways.

The Master

Bronze Squire
You can make any four decks in HS with $200 in packs/buying Naxx. That is kind of why I was asking, because it seems like the cost to having one, budget, deck in the MTG is identical to having any four decks you want in HS. Since you need four decks in HS and only one in MTG, that makes the barrier to entry identical. If you went for cheap, but still competitive, decks, you could easily make Zoo, some variant of Miracle Rogue, Hunter, and a Druid for about $100.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The least expensive competitive decks in MtG are more in the 200+ area than the 100-200 area. The least expensive deck that I can think of that is still an optimal configuration would still be north of 200.

The Master

Bronze Squire
The least expensive competitive decks in MtG are more in the 200+ area than the 100-200 area. The least expensive deck that I can think of that is still an optimal configuration would still be north of 200.
So HS is actually cheaper if you want to be competitive. That is what I figured.

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's less about the cost (I'm playing with a $25 MTG deck at the moment) and more about getting attached to and learning one deck/style of deck, barrier of entry also thinking about skill and time investment.

Having to build x4 the amount of decks is even harder on time/money considering it's through a random number generator? I'm asking why that is so.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Hearthstone's competitive depth comes from the emerging multiple deck formats. If a tournament structure was one deck with some "best of X" it would be very, very uninteresting.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Just a reminder that this starts this Monday, so make sure you sign up! I know last time I had 4-5 people PM me asking if I could add them, but I can't change things once the brackets have been generated.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Starts tomorrow, if you're thinking of signing up make sure you get in.

Also Itkovian/Brand I'm sure you know this, but you need to add your classes.

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
So Elidib... We meet again old friend
smile.png

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Vandyn add me in game and lets do this.
biggrin.png

You should have a friend request already.

If im not in Hearthstone you could find me in LoL too, IGN: Ravishing

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
how do you guys do bans without giving an advantage? both say at same time or ?

The Master

Bronze Squire
how do you guys do bans without giving an advantage? both say at same time or ?
Yep. Someone actually made a website that does bans, but I can't find it. I meant to link it in the first post in case people wanted to op to use it. Basically you input your classes, opponent inputs there, you each pick a ban, and then it reveals it. Was pretty slick. If anyone finds it I'll put in the first post.

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yep. Someone actually made a website that does bans, but I can't find it. I meant to link it in the first post in case people wanted to op to use it. Basically you input your classes, opponent inputs there, you each pick a ban, and then it reveals it. Was pretty slick. If anyone finds it I'll put in the first post.
That sounds good. Honestly I havent had any issues. I ask my opponent to put the ban at the same time so unless they type at the speed of Jesus, it's fine.