Hearthstone

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Yeah MTG has been knocking it out of the park with new Emrakul, Aetherworks ... oops.

The public tends to underestimate the difficulty in designing and testing CCGs.

I haven't played since new Innistrad was coming out. They had their issues but I think it's laughable you compare the two.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Standard in MTG is not an unhealthy format. There is a huge range of viable decks with still some room for brewing. People really just don't like being mindslavered.

• 1Like

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
You compared the two. Much like people hate Patches/Pirates, people in MtG are currently hating getting Emrakul'd. My main point was designing this stuff isn't simple.

• 1Like

Brand

Molten Core Raider
I don't mind losing games...I just hate taking 45 minutes a game against slow ass dragon priests, who I know will top out at 15.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Oh, yeah, seems a lot of leftover players and decklists back when the deck was barely competitive. In the right hands, dragon priest can go far.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I just beat someone on turn 4. That's not very healthy.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
You compared the two. Much like people hate Patches/Pirates, people in MtG are currently hating getting Emrakul'd. My main point was designing this stuff isn't simple.
The complaints about emrakul are not nearly as universal as the pirate complaints are for hearthstone. There hadn't been a good combo deck in standard for years, and there was lots of people asking for them to bring back a viable combo deck. They did, and it's good, but there are plenty of ways to beat it if you want to. There's multiple decks that are just as competitive as the aetherworks decks.
There is always a top deck in standard, and players will always complain about it while it's legal. Then, after it rotates they talk about the 'good old days' and forget how much they bitched at the time. I've seen people getting nostalgic about caw-blade standard, mono-b devo standard, even fucking affinity standard.

It just sucks to get mindslaver'd, because your options are taken away, and a better comparison would be pre-nerf Yogg-Saron. It wasn't that Yogg was unbeatable, it just lead to some games being won that shouldn't have been winnable, and even the person playing Yogg didn't feel good about it. It was too much RNG. Players hate being unable to alter their fate in any way, i.e. no options, all chance or RNG. Emrakul does that to finish the game, but you can prevent it, slow it down, race it or prepare for it. Pirate deck's perfect start takes away your options before you've had a chance to do anything about it.

In other words, yes MTG still makes the occasional mistake, but it's far less often and far less of a fuckup as the mistakes the HS team keeps making.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
It's really quite sad how badly the Hearthstone devs fuck up.

Two biggest offenders are Spirit Claws and Small-Time Buccaneer. These should be Rogue Only or not exist, or nerfed.

------------------
Shaman have
  • Spirit Claws
Rogue have
  • Cogmaster's Wrench
  • Poisoned Blade

Both of these could be 1 mana and still be weaker than Spirit Claws.

Spirit Claws:
Does upwards of 9 damage for 1 mana (and playing other cards that you would play anyway)

Poisoned Blade:
Would need 6 mana invested into it AFTER it's played to reach that potential, that's 10 mana total. And that 9 mana over Spirit Claws is NOT for things you would already be playing. It's simply to buff your weapon. No minions on board.

Cogmaster's Wrench:
Would be a little more OP since mech is easier to guarantee than Spell Power but still, it requires a specific deck type whereas Shaman have Spell Power built into their class design.

------------

Neutral
  • Small-Time Buccaneer
Rogue have
  • Buccaneer
Seriously? Buccaneer should be the neutral card. Small-Time Buccaneer can be comparable with Flame Imp, Mana Wyrm, Tunnel Trogg. It's a card that gets stronger under a certain condition. Most other similar cards are class-specific. Rogue also have no 1 drops with more than 1 health except for Bladed Cultist which isn't a true 1 drop.

------------

Rogue is actually in a decent spot right now but Shaman is just absurd. They get 3 awesome 1-drops and tons of follow up & burn. As well as packing in AoE and taunts. Rogue lacks AoE/Taunt/Healing.

Removing Small-Time Bucc would limit Aggro Warrior as well, freeing up more space for Rogue to shine.

Maybe Rogue would become too cancerous without Warr/Sham around to keep them in check, but I guess we'll never know.

• 2Like

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If it was only rogue that could run the card I think it would help. Shaman spells and war spells/weapons give the aggro decks insane reach and Small Time nearly ensures crazy openers. The decks might have to be a bit more honest overall if rogue was the only one with Small Time.

• 1Like

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I've been playing more jade druid at the end of last month and using it to climb this month and I'm pretty confident if we didn't have aggro to bitch about we would be bitching about jade druid. Deck is pretty good against mid-range and of course just dominates control. Aggro is the only thing slowing it down.

I don't know why malygos druid is still a thing in the tournament scene. Was watching that amaz tournament last week and watched malygos druid just fall flat on it's face, it wasn't good last expansion and I don't see it being better than jade druid.

• 1Like

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Actually that's why I'm more than fine with the aggro decks. That jade druid shit pisses me the fuck off and if it wasn't for aggro we'd likely be overrun with it. On the other hand that would also possibly encourage a nerf so its a mixed bag. The rotation should prove to be a pretty interesting time, but the wild card of course is what the next expansion will bring too.

• 2Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Didn't Jade Druid lose every match in the Amaz tournament? It loses very often to Renolock and even Reno Mage. I think the meta reports show it with only 2 favorable matchups

Edit: Just looked it up and the meta report only shows it favorable against Reno Mage & Reno Priest. Which makes sense, Mage needs a perfect draw to beat it, but they do have burn+freeze to pull out wins. Priest really struggles.

Obviously Jade Druid would dominate other Control decks as well. It still struggles against any Aggro & Mid-Range deck.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Maybe? I didn't watch the whole thing tbh.

Really surprised if as you say its not favored against renolock and mage, that hasn't been my experience. Renolock stands a slightly better chance because of better aoe removal, but its always seemed like a really bad matchup for reno mage.

Thing is, it usually crushes mid-range too if you can ramp and with so many ramp cards its not very often you don't ramp up. You can lump renolock/mage as mid-range against this deck because they have to win in the mid to late game because no deck can go the distance against it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I've had very good success with Renolock vs Jade Druid. Reno Mage lacks the board clears and huge minions. Mage has the Stall+Burn to get through though. Jade Druid is favored against Reno Priest & Mage but is not favaored against Renolock. At least per the VS Report.

Renolock does well due to a million clears and also having Mtn Giant and the 20 damage combo and constant draw.

• 1Like

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, no, that makes sense, but its not as if renolock is a counter, it may be just slightly favored.

Reno mage is just absolutely terrible. Stalling is only going to buy you so much time. They do not have the time to stall, burn, and stay alive. Reno mage does not have enough spells/mana to stay alive and burn the druid without also alexstraza'ing first.

• 1Like

Krag

Peasant
I played Jade druid to 10 or so last season (before starting on Reno mage) and although it's undoubtedly powerful and can win in impressive fashion if it gets a good start (like almost any ramp druid), I still think it probably wouldn't have good matchups against any faster midrange decks even if we didn't have the ultra fast decks we have now.

This season I've even been beating up on them with midrange secret hunter (doing quests and grinding the last wins to 500).

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like