Hearthstone

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
I also remember seeing a video about patches being op before that set launched and many ppl have been complaining about patches since day 1. I haven't heard as much on CC, but I think that's just because no one cares at this point. I can remember seeing it and thinking it was broken as fuck, but with no discussion going on about a dead game people aren't voicing their opinions as much(and honestly I may have even said cc looked broken here, but I'm not going to go looking to see if I actually did or just thought about it but decided it wasn't worth it).

And prior to launch? I mean that is extremely difficult to gauge when you're introducing 100+ new cards all at once. When you have the majority of the game's vocal population talking about cards being op and questioning/demanding nerfs within days of their release that is obviously something that should have been caught in testing. I guarantee a lot of people have been complaining about bonemare since week 1 of TFT, its only become an even bigger problem now because of the 0 cost minions k&c introduced.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
good nerfs, but without new modes & features (bans/sideboards), the game will remain stagnant.

I stopped playing even before throne because of just what you listed. Been keeping an eye on the game to see if anything happens. But rather just play Gwent, eternal or others who just offer more that is generally better too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I love the hindsight crew here. AFAIK no one was saying Patches or Creeper would be OP doing set reviews. Shit I don't even remember Bonemare getting much attention prior to KFT launch.
If you read my non professional review prior to release in this thread, I mentioned CC for 3 of 9 classes. Gtfo with your hindsight bs. Of course you can't predict every meta card before release. Only takes a day or 2 to see the strength though. These cards been bitched about since day 1.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I love the hindsight crew here. AFAIK no one was saying Patches or Creeper would be OP doing set reviews. Shit I don't even remember Bonemare getting much attention prior to KFT launch.

Dude.

Bonemare was absolutely talked about as a meta-defining card BEFORE release. Kripp has a video on it (although it's more from the arena perspective he does touch on constructed) and it was a major focus of the 7 hour (can't believe i watched the whole thing) video from the team liquid/Luminosity guys.

Patches was regularly in the top 5 lists before the expansion dropped, proof: G2's players reveal favorite Mean Streets of Gadgetzan cards - G2 Esports

Raza was played before Anduin came out, but it was impossible to call Raza OP before it came out seeing as Anduin DK was 2 expansions away.

Corridor creeper was definitely bitched about before it came out, maybe i just noticed it more because I follow the Team LuL guys, but they put it in *every single* deck they brought to trinity series on day 1 of the expansion. Trinity Series Season 2 Championship Winning Deck Lists: Team LUL (Team Love U Lots) - Hearthstone Top Decks

You're not remembering people talk about them because you get your news from the reddit echo chamber, if you want real set reviews, go to more reliable sources.

• 2Like

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
Would have been better to change Anduin's hero power to only damage minions. Still powerful but changes the deck into a super grinder deck rather than a 50 face damage combo deck.

• 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Would have been better to change Anduin's hero power to only damage minions. Still powerful but changes the deck into a super grinder deck rather than a 50 face damage combo deck.

That would make it super shitty. Priest has answers for minions, they need direct damage. And 1 mana isn't a huge nerf, it just means you die in 3-4 turns instead of 1-2. This at least slows it enough to give you a chance to respond/counter.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Not even going into previously mentioned broken cards...who thought spiteful was a smart play right after a tempo based meta where tempo rogue was dominant? So you give decks a 4/4 and many times a 12/12 for 6 mana? Does that seem balanced? Intelligently designed? You have broken tempo cards like CC, bonemare, patches, etc and you add cards like this?

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
You known how you can tell this game went to shit? No one here even bothered complaining about it. Everyone just said fuck it and didn't even discuss it until someone else mentioned it.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
You known how you can tell this game went to shit? No one here even bothered complaining about it. Everyone just said fuck it and didn't even discuss it until someone else mentioned it.
well the thread went to page 2/3 recently, so yea. It's also been like 4 years or something, at this point new cards just won't cut it for many (Dungeons were nice... for a week). But I'd say that, if you been around since release (almost 4 yrs), then you're probably done with the status quo.

What's crazy is HS consistently beats out OW on non-competitive hours. So the game isn't really dead. I think Mobile keeps people into this, I know it does for me. I only play on tablet these days. If I'm at a PC I'm not playing this garbage.

• 1Like

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
That would make it super shitty. Priest has answers for minions, they need direct damage. And 1 mana isn't a huge nerf, it just means you die in 3-4 turns instead of 1-2. This at least slows it enough to give you a chance to respond/counter.

1 mana is a huge nerf, it dismantles the Velen + Radiant Elemental OTK and makes it super easy to out-armor/heal the Priest's ability to do damage.

I'm not sure what beats Jade Druid post nerf, they already clowned on Cubelock and now Priest will be a trivially easy matchup.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
1 mana is a huge nerf, it dismantles the Velen + Radiant Elemental OTK and makes it super easy to out-armor/heal the Priest's ability to do damage.

I'm not sure what beats Jade Druid post nerf, they already clowned on Cubelock and now Priest will be a trivially easy matchup.

Jade is dead in a month. Cubelock is not. Nor dragon priest.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I've been playing DMH warrior a lot when I actually do ladder. And these nerfs are going to help it sooooooo much. Will be great.

• 2Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Does DMH Warrior actually lose anything to rotation other than Sleep with the Fishes?

I haven't looked that far ahead. I was trying the Trump version of DMH that used some new cards, but it sucks dick compared to the original Dog version. So I've been running OG DMH without a single new expansion card, and winning quite a bit actually. When I lose it's because I get blown out by Creepers/Bonemares/Pirates

• 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>

Simplistic OTK's are a pile of bullshit. The primary drivers of this one, Raza and Anduin can be played at anytime to start the damage, and give you basic combo power. As long as you don't lose Anduin/Raza to overdraw or dirty rat you get your combo to some degree or another. Either Velen+Radiant, or Lyra+Radiant, or just consistent burn every turn will suppressing the board. It's stupid.

This nerf gives people a chance against the ensuing onslaught of damage but it's hardly "super easy" to avoid. It's still 1 mana for 2 damage potentially multiple times per turn, either burning you or keeping the board cleared so you can't respond. If they have a radiant down you better have a kill spell, because they will not let a creature survive to kill it.

Combos are balanced around sacrificing a lot, and/or forgoing other options in order to get the combo off. Exodia Mage is balanced like this, you need like 7 cards at the same time to go off properly and OTK. And if you can't OTK it's not like the combo still partially works. You are also dependent on not losing any of the pieces. You have to hold onto a ton of cards while avoiding overdraw.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Simplistic OTK's are a pile of bullshit. The primary drivers of this one, Raza and Anduin can be played at anytime to start the damage, and give you basic combo power. As long as you don't lose Anduin/Raza to overdraw or dirty rat you get your combo to some degree or another. Either Velen+Radiant, or Lyra+Radiant, or just consistent burn every turn will suppressing the board. It's stupid.

This nerf gives people a chance against the ensuing onslaught of damage but it's hardly "super easy" to avoid. It's still 1 mana for 2 damage potentially multiple times per turn, either burning you or keeping the board cleared so you can't respond. If they have a radiant down you better have a kill spell, because they will not let a creature survive to kill it.

Combos are balanced around sacrificing a lot, and/or forgoing other options in order to get the combo off. Exodia Mage is balanced like this, you need like 7 cards at the same time to go off properly and OTK. And if you can't OTK it's not like the combo still partially works. You are also dependent on not losing any of the pieces. You have to hold onto a ton of cards while avoiding overdraw.

Funny that you mention Exodia Mage, OTK Mage will still exist post-rotation and then there won't be any Dirty Rat to counter it. 2 Simulacrum, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Antonidas, Leyline Manipulator, Molten Reflection is a OTK, you copy the apprentice twice then drop Leyline Manipulator to reduce their costs to 0, next turn you can drop Antonidas + 3 apprentices for 9 mana, then reflection an apprentice with your one remaining mana and do the OTK. That honestly looks pretty oppressive considering how slow the metagame is right now, you lose to aggro Paladin and.....beat everything else?

1-mana Raza is the difference between 24 + 4 * (Number of 1 CC spells in hand) damage on the Velen turn and 10 damage on the Velen turn. It pretty much removes the cycle variant from viability as control decks can now pretty feasibly outheal/outarmor you and just run you out of cards.

• 2Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
There will always be aggro.. and Exodia Mage is weaker to aggro than Dirty Rat.

Exodia Mage has many issues.
If they ever become rampant on ladder then you'll see:
A lot of aggro/Face Hunter
Secret removal
Rogues with Evasion/DK
And even "control" decks can just play more aggressively instead of saving cards

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

I don't find the Raza combo much worse than Exodia mage. How many times in a highlander deck will one part of the combo not appear before you lose? Too often. I've been killed when Exodia still had 14 cards in their deck. I've seen pros have to use subpar tech cards against both decks and both are terribly unfun to play against. Exodia mage needs four cards to work and some of the discovered cards can help reduce that number. Raza sacrifices card quality, and consistency to work a broken combo when it appears. If you eat their cards and they can't use Lyra, they can't win against any deck with decent healing or armor production. Kingsbane destroys both decks easily. Both have difficulty with tempo. I wouldn't mind both being gone. Neither seem as bad as Kripp's combo in wild though.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity