Hearthstone

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Actually I would say that the lack of card draw is the single biggest weakness control warrior has. You've got 1-2 shield blocks and 2 acolytes of pain. I would say I average 1.5 draws per acolyte I play. So 1-2 cards that cycle, and 2 creatures that get me an extra 3 cards between them. Some control warriors have started running slam again which is another potential 1-2 cycles.

Varian certainly isn't the answer though. If I make it to turn 10 the game is already starting to shift in my favor. I damn sure don't need a 10 mana conditional draw creature, what I need is more draw in the early game.
No other class gets more value out of acolyte of pain than warriors, Shield slam is is fantastic so is slam. Not specifically for control warrior but battle rage is the single most powerful draw spell in the game.

I think they hold there own in the card drawing department.

Either way a 10 cost minion isn't going to fix any holes in the card engine department.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just looking at other controlly decks, Maly/Handlock have lifetap, Mage has mad scientist and arcane int or acolyte (haven't seen anyone run both), Control priest has northshire and thoughtsteal, and while thoughtsteal is unreliable, it generates extra resources instead of depleting the ones you have, Ramp has azure drake(s), AoL, and wild growth if you draw it late.

All I'm saying is that control warrior has weak draw. They mostly counter this weakness by running a lot of objectively powerful cards and by having a hero power that extends the game long enough for them to get more turns to draw with. I'm not criticizing control warrior, it's one of my favorite decks. I'm just saying if you analyze it, the weakest aspect of the deck is its difficulty digging through the deck.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Yea I don't see him in standard control warrior either. I see him in another type of control or tempo deck. Like dragon warrior maybe where you can have chromaggus, ysera, deathwing, etc. Not sure though until I start playing with it in deck builder and in game

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
Varian is fine, certainly better than Deathwing. If there's a midrangey warrior deck which runs value creatures like shredder it's a fine T10 play. I remember control warrior used to have quicker variations. Right now though there would be no reason to play that kind of deck over patron or control though.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Got Ghaz Rilla in a pack the other day. So I've been playing a kind of control hunter with it. Been on quite the streak with it. Nobody seems to know what to do with it or what to expect. I'm only rank 9-10 though. But it is fun to play.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea I don't see him in standard control warrior either. I see him in another type of control or tempo deck. Like dragon warrior maybe where you can have chromaggus, ysera, deathwing, etc. Not sure though until I start playing with it in deck builder and in game
Dragon control wars like that are already a thing that's been played around with recently. Now with that Alexstrasza's Champion card coming I could see more experimentation with the archetype. Varian bringing out a free Deathwing would be super lulzy, but just hard to imagine it being terribly consistent. Even if you get skunked on a battlecry though, getting out a free dragon same turn would make it worthwhile. Gav's right though, seems like most of the time the game will probably be in your favor by the time it gets played anyway.

Ryoz

<Donor>
Still on the gold Mage grind. Tempo seems to be on the outs so trying a grinder mage. Feels dirty. I actually outlast priests. Not sure I can handle the length of games, but the deck does seem to work.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
If you're grinding gold mage, I would just experiment with different builds of tempo mage rather than switch to slow control mage. I did control warrior for the majority of my golden warrior wins and it took a life age.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Tempo Mage is the way to go for Gold Mage. You CAN win any game with a proper Tempo Deck. You worst matchups are going to be Zoo. Patron also sucks unless you have a bit of luck on your side. Face Hunter is actually a solid matchup. You go from 50/50 to being favored depending on what version of the deck you use.

Personally I like Varian. I think it's not fair to call him a "win more" card because if the game is close he will swing things your way for sure. But like I said before. He's 10 fucking mana. If a game goes that long and you can get him out safely, he should have a major impact on the game. But he definitely requires a modified deck because you don't want him to pull a lot of battlecry minions out. He's a card I hope to pull in a pack but I don't think I'd craft him right off the bat.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I sorted out the tablet issues and bought that 40 booster pack with the half-price coupon. I had to go through some fuckery with Amazon because of a store bug (boosters didnt show up) but when their support guy re-applied a coupon code it was a 100% off instead of 50%... 40 free bosters yielding Ragnaros, Illidan, golden Cairn and Ragnaros again. I didnt even have a Rag yet (it's strong but I'm not a fan).

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Played with deckbuilder a bit for Warrior and couldn't come upon a satisfactory *unique* deck other then a modified Control Warrior atm to utilize Varian.
I was trying to throw together a Dragon Warrior but it's even worse with Varian than Control... too many battlecry cards in Dragon decks (Blackwing Tech/Corrupter & the new Warrior card all Battlecries)

It doesn't make sense to build an entire deck around a 10 mana card so the changes are very minimal. Here's one iteration:
[TGT] Varian Wrynn Control Warrior - Hearthstone Decks

Basically removed Shieldmaidens... which might seem ridiculous, but I think Bash is actually a suitable replacement as it's 1/2 the cost and provides almost as much armor, and improves your early game against aggro (can kill 2 minions on turn 4 with Bash+Shield Slam, instead of 1 minion with Shield Block+Shield Slam or Shieldmaiden+Shield Slam). Also, getting Bash from Varian Wrynn is much better than getting Shieldmaiden (imo).

Also removed 1 taskmaster, just to limit battlcries a bit more and since Bash helps your early game and since there have always been some Control Warriors with only 1 Cruel Task.

I don't run Emperor in my Control Warrior deck, as I feel Emp has no business in a non-Combo deck, instead I added Cairne which almost makes up for losing the Shieldmaidens.
The other changes compared to the Control Warrior I play are:

- Baron Geddon
- Nefarian
+ Ragnaros
+ Ysera

These changes are not that big of a deal because there are people already using Ysera/Rag in their decks. I feel Rag/Ysera are more optimal here.. Obviously Nef wouldn't provide his battlecry and Baron could fuck up your board if he's placed by Varian.

So I'm rather comfortable with this as the early game is strengthened with 2x Bash and the late game punch has the potential to be even stronger with a huge Varian play... and even if he doesn't add minions to the board, just the 3 card draw could be huge.

Edit: One card I was debating on was Justicar Trueheart for the +4 Armor hero power... Might be sleeper OP for Control Warrior, makes up for losing the Shieldmaiden armor sorta, but I kept him out simply due to the Battlecry. I'll probably test him in place of Cairne at some point.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
lol?

CVUQRt6.png

This looks quite good though

e6m66Ob.png

Rogue pirate tempo?

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Elemental Destruction looks interesting. I'm going to state the obvious here: That overload is killer. You use it in the early game and you are essentially skipping your next turn. If you use it in the late game, you can follow it up with with a solid drop but then you completely give up tempo since it's going to be hard to answer your opponent's next play.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Elemental Destruction looks interesting. I'm going to state the obvious here: That overload is killer. You use it in the early game and you are essentially skipping your next turn. If you use it in the late game, you can follow it up with with a solid drop but then you completely give up tempo since it's going to be hard to answer your opponent's next play.
BRM_011.png

*cough*

This expansion might just be enough love to make Shaman viable.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Bleah. Shaman card probably isn't worth losing your next turn if you wreck your own board in the process.

Rogue minion is great, probably not enough to bring aggro rogue back into the meta but it's a good card.