Hellboy (2019)

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Super faithful to the comics, extremely dark, gory, and loaded with everything that makes the comics awesome. And they didn’t play all their good cards in this movie, so I’m really hopeful it makes enough to get sequels.
Knocks - sometimes the dialogue is a bit hard to understand. And even though 1 in my group tonight had no Hellboy experience outside of the del Toro movies and still loved this one, I could see how the uninitiated to Hellboy comics wouldn’t like this as much.
That being said, I fucking loved it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
thats good to hear, i keep hearing this movie is worse than battlefield earth and thats just so hard to believe

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
movie was OK. I've rewatched both of the original 2, don't see myself ever rewatching this one. Ron and Del Torro could have done much more w/ this obviously. don't see a need for them to do another one.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I just realized the guy playing Hellboy is from those Tide Ads... (and Stranger Things, of course)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
It was not deserving of the beating it is receiving from RT, but not as good as either of the predecessors. If you like the IP, it is worth the watch. I would put it somewhere in the middle of the pack.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I wish this continued the story from GDT instead of rebooting. Could have used Alice to summon Prof Broom or something instead of the version we got. I also thought Nimue could have been built out a lot better but overall still enjoyed it minus the musical transitions.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Not planning to nominate it for any awards, but it definitely doesn't deserve the critical thrashing it's been getting. It doesn't have the ... heart, I guess, of the Del Toro films--no Hellboy and Abe drunkenly singing duets here--but it was a damn fun popcorn action flick. It's the sort of thing I'll happily rewatch if I spot it while flipping through channels.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah this movie's biggest crime is not being a third one by Del Toro 10 years ago.

It doesn't deserve the hate it's getting and has some fun stuff in it. Harbour is pretty good in the role.

• 1Like

Goatface

cinemascore has it as a C
weekend estimates has it in 3rd place with $12mil, $5 to 9 mil off its early projections

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
I enjoyed this waaaaay more then the del toro ones. Thought it was great

• 1Like

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
It had its moments. The gore was pretty silly, the evil hell dudes coming from the ground at the end when he picked up the sword looked very neat. Probably where 95% of the budget went lol. But otherwise the story and pacing felt very....off. Definitely a once and done for me.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Dunno, I s aw it a second time on a slow work day and it was just as awesome. I found a few nitpicks this time where they strayed from the comics that I didn't think made a difference, but I guess that is what AMC A list is for. By the way, I hope you all have AMC A-list, its friggin awesome. I've seen 6 movies this month and all my snacks today were free on points.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Are those perlman tweets for real? There's gotta be more to that.

spronk

FPS noob
movie was ok, first third was great and its definitely worth a watch at home for ~5 mins of demon scenes that are freaking awesome. You can tell they ran out of money at some point, I rarely nitpick CGI in movies and usually have fun with anything but man there were some REALLY bad special effects - like "Clash of the Titans" levels - for a few scenes in the middle of the movie. The movie kept cramming stuff in too, like it was made up of 2 or 3 movies, that didn't really need to be there. Some great and cool action scenes, like all the giant stuff.

Its not terrible, with Endgame coming up not really worth a trip out to theaters anymore but if ya get a chance check it out at home I guess. Nothing really stood out or was great, but its fun enough for anyone who likes video games and Hell related stuff. It felt like a movie version of Darksiders, and just as bad character/dialogue wise.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I dont know if I just loved the Del Toro ones way better or what, but it was so hard for me to get into this one. I wasnt going to spend money on it, having an already low opinion of it from the trailers so I watched it at home. Turned it off after 20 minutes. After a few days of thinking maybe I was just too hard on the movie - I started it from the beginning and finished it. The movie is "okay" at best. A lot of cringe worthy stuff in this one. The new Hell Boy is... not who I would have cast to say the least. The tongue in cheek humor, 1980's hair metal vibe and more just kind of.. ruins the universe for me. This movie was less C'thulu and more.. Ash vs Evil Dead. I wanted the remake to be a darker, grittier version.

Im not saying it was horrible, but man.. this film shit on the universe. Salty.

• 1Like

Goatface

David Harbour’s ‘Hellboy’ Ends Box Office Run With Dismal Total Gross
Movieweb reports David Harbour’s Hellboy reboot concluded its domestic box office run with a disastrous total gross of $21.9 million.
Based on figures provided by The Numbers, David Harbour’s Hellboy reboot earned a total of $21,903,748 at the domestic box office following an already disappointing debut of $12 million in April. The Hellboy reboot performed poorly at the international box office as well, earning a total of $18.1 million in all foreign markets for a worldwide total gross of roughly $40 million.

Now, Lionsgate has officially pulled David Harbour’s Hellboy reboot out of theaters after a five-week domestic run. With a reported budget of $50 million, the latest Hellboy film will not be able to recoup the cost of production.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Loved it as far as homage, needed more lobster which is what the commercials were showing. The 20 seconds of lobster were awesome. Really sucks this isn't getting a sequel

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
This movie was fucking awful. I'm a huge fan of Del Toro's movies and the comics but, yikes, the fuck was wrong with them. Hellboy looks like he had a stroke and just never quite recovered. Harbor's voice just doesn't fit. The story was fine, it's the comics basically, but something was just wrong with it, like the pacing or something fucked it up. And the CGI was shockingly bad. Super disappointing.

Jovovich was good, McShane was good, that's about the only redeeming things I saw in it.

• 1Like

Goatface

despite all its faults still enjoyed it, like 5/10, will never watch it again
agree with several posts above, cgi was terrible in spots, his voice seemed off and was like he was mumbling the end of a lot sentences.

even though can not stand pearlman, his hellboy was tons better

also, there are middle credit and end credit scenes

Qhue

Trump's Staff
We screened this for movie night last night and everyone was expecting to hate it, but came out really pleased with the movie. It's not DelToro, clearly, but it does hew closer to the source material and had more involvement of Mike Mignola.

My biggest criticism is that the makeup was clearly not as well done.