Hellraiser

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Man, I'll probably still end up watching it for the visuals but sucks to read the reviews. A decent chunk of my art style was developed from being exposed to Hellraiser as a little kid.
Visually it isnt bad. The mansion looks cool, they still use the blue effects when the other dimension opens up, The box looks good. It, like most films today, suffer from shitty execution and an absolute lack of understanding of the source material and what made it good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Visually it isnt bad. The mansion looks cool, they still use the blue effects when the other dimension opens up, The box looks good. It, like most films today, suffer from shitty execution and an absolute lack of understanding of the source material and what made it good.
Mansion just seemed basic to me. But then again, I compare trap mansion/houses to:

mansion.jpg

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I went and relistened to the audiobook for The Hellbound Heart. It is an older recording of questionable sound quality but I think Clive Barker does the reading. I've gone back to it a few times over the years and I'm still surprised at how much lore there is to be found in the small novella.

It's still great. Frank and Julia being evil as fuck is so much more interesting than some good looking young people getting picked off by cenobites in a generic slasher framework.

• 1Like

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I didn't think that this was awful but it's definitely not as good as the first two. It kind of felt like it was moving in the direction of understanding the atmosphere and visuals from the originals and the cenobites looked good, for the most part, I guess the female ones looked good and the others were a bit too Silent Hill to feel like they were supposed to be in a Hellraiser movie. It sounded like they snuck in the original score as much as they could which I can't really fault them for but the characters were all awful. It felt like they were going for the style of the first two films but then included a cast that could have been taken directly from one of the later, direct-to-video, sequels. Not a complete waste of time to watch but it really isn't anything special.

If anyone hasn't seen it there's a two part documentary on Shudder called Leviathan: The Story of Hellraiser that's amazing. There's an incredible amount of ingenuity and craftsmanship that went into making the first two movies and the way they went about design and practical effects is really inspiring. Kind of sad that the age of a bunch of people getting together and hand making an entire movie on the spot is probably completely over now that we can CGI essentially anything

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I didn't think that this was awful but it's definitely not as good as the first two. It kind of felt like it was moving in the direction of understanding the atmosphere and visuals from the originals and the cenobites looked good, for the most part, I guess the female ones looked good and the others were a bit too Silent Hill to feel like they were supposed to be in a Hellraiser movie. It sounded like they snuck in the original score as much as they could which I can't really fault them for but the characters were all awful. It felt like they were going for the style of the first two films but then included a cast that could have been taken directly from one of the later, direct-to-video, sequels. Not a complete waste of time to watch but it really isn't anything special.

If anyone hasn't seen it there's a two part documentary on Shudder called Leviathan: The Story of Hellraiser that's amazing. There's an incredible amount of ingenuity and craftsmanship that went into making the first two movies and the way they went about design and practical effects is really inspiring. Kind of sad that the age of a bunch of people getting together and hand making an entire movie on the spot is probably completely over now that we can CGI essentially anything
Budget films are still around and some are really entertaining. Its just that the space is so crowded that it’s really hard to separate the chaff. I rarely even give them a chance if they can’t get the basic cinematic viewpoint correct.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Shudder is a good steaming service if you want to go down the budget movie horror rabbit hole. Lots of shit on the channel, but there are some really good low budget movies hidden in their lineup as well.

• 1Like