Hellraiser

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
I thought it was decent, the visuals alone are worth it.

The rules and way the puzzle box worked with the plot didnt make sense.
Why did he wait six years and have someone else use the box to get a wish? If you can just stab people he could of gotten 6 hookers locked them in cages and just stabbed them one by one.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Much of the film was some pretty mediocre contemporary horror but it does finally develop a point during the last act. The different transitions during each schism looked great where the walls pull away or pits open up but I think the cenobites were all just a little too busy in their design. Covering up a bunch of shit with black leather really carried the originals a long way. We get the original music back at the end at the exact right time after using hints of it earlier. That was good. The lead grew on me overtime and by the end I thought she was pretty good.

Overall it's fine. It's not going to spawn a new franchise. Something like this needs to be grimy and dripping with pathos instead of having a generic supernatural horror framework for 2/3rds of the runtime. Half a dozen attractive young people get picked off one by one as they try and figure out what is happening through dialogue in which they yell at each other a whole lot. Whatever. The main character's stepmother feeding man after man to the resurrected husk of the brother she had an affair with before gifting him her husband's very skin is so much more fucked up.

They had money and they had at least a few people who knew what the fuck they were doing but it just wasn't all there. If we were going to do a modern version of Hellraiser the first thing I would do would be to crib hard from something like Eyes Wide Shut.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Watched this and it's a straight up pile of trash.

Bored to death.

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
The ONLY good thing about this movie was how the box changed. Other than that this movie was absolutely terrible. Shit plot, terrible actors, boring...

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Pretty crappy. Not a lot going for it but I did manage to finish it.

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Clive Barker has a few good stories but most of his work is just pure degeneracy. He focuses so much of his books detailing all of the things that are supposed to make you squirm that he forgets to write anything very engaging beyond the initial hook of how off-putting the subjects are compared to "normal" life.
Sorry, this is months old........

But Barker has written at least a couple of non-horror books I enjoyed.

Imagica and Weaveworld were both interesting and novel. Imagica has an abiding, universe-saving romance between a great sorcerer and a being that has no real gender, which was surprisingly not "woke" in any real way.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I still remember reading Imajica when I was 14 and not understanding WTF was going on. That would be an interesting one to revisit.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I tried reading both of those after the Damnation Game but I was youg too and like you dropped both of them.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I was pretty good at finishing books when I was younger. Pretty much always finished what I started. Only book I remember ever reading and not finishing was Wheel of Time, because it was too damn long!

I loved LOTR and Prydain though, and always heard WOT was on that level. Liked the first book a lot. But yeah, like 500 pages in I was halfway through and just sorta stopped. Eventually gave it away. There's something to be said for not being so long-winded (see also AC Valhalla).

Watching Hellraiser some time this week, going in with basically no expectations.

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
Thought this was complete garbage. To be fair I feel asleep about 20 minutes in and woke up towards the end and I don't feel like I really missed much. Dogshit script.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
About 20 minutes in here myself and I'm already annoyed.

The main character? is a girl who looks like a boy and is like 100% immature lashing out about shit and acting like an idiot

I 'member when movies had like, reasonably admirable main characters.

Well, whatever. The people behind this clearly weren't impresarios but it's moody enough.

• 1Like

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
My favorite story of Clive's was the sadist that kidnapped the college vegan and put her in a cell with a steak.

That's all she got to eat. Ever.

As it rotted and her hunger rose, eventually...well...

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
About 20 minutes in here myself and I'm already annoyed.

The main character? is a girl who looks like a boy and is like 100% immature lashing out about shit and acting like an idiot

I 'member when movies had like, reasonably admirable main characters.

Well, whatever. The people behind this clearly weren't impresarios but it's moody enough.
i've never watched any hellraiser movies, it's not really my bag... but i understand the what the stories are about

i've seen a lot of mixed feelings on the main character of this, you either 100% hate her or think she's great, with very little feelings in between. so here's my question... from what i understand, the chick is pretty insufferable and just basically a trash human being, which is why a lot of people don't like her. however, isn't that sort of the draw of the puzzle box? like, healthy, well put together people who have their lives together SHOULDN'T be drawn to this thing. again, i haven't seen the movie but i've read the synopsis... but "reasonably admirable" is... i don't know, hard to quantify with these kinds of characters. in the end, doesn't she do the admirable thing?

is the issue the character or the actress?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Finished the movie. Was okay. The main character was fairly un-likeable. I did like that the Cenobites had a lot to do, and the mansion was a creepy setting. Agree with others that the Cenobite design was way too "busy", sometimes simpler is better.

j00t j00t Both, I think. The character is insufferable and the actress doesn't have the charisma to rise above it. Doesn't help that they gave her wildly unappealing Teenage Boy Outfits to wear for the whole movie.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
i've never watched any hellraiser movies, it's not really my bag... but i understand the what the stories are about

i've seen a lot of mixed feelings on the main character of this, you either 100% hate her or think she's great, with very little feelings in between. so here's my question... from what i understand, the chick is pretty insufferable and just basically a trash human being, which is why a lot of people don't like her. however, isn't that sort of the draw of the puzzle box? like, healthy, well put together people who have their lives together SHOULDN'T be drawn to this thing. again, i haven't seen the movie but i've read the synopsis... but "reasonably admirable" is... i don't know, hard to quantify with these kinds of characters. in the end, doesn't she do the admirable thing?

is the issue the character or the actress?

I was going to make a comment about this in my post because the same concept occurred to me while watching.

It is a combination of all that though. She’s a terrible actress / acted terribly based on what she was given, not visually appealing (it’s okay to have svelte gays romping around but god forbid you have a visually appealing woman), the interplay between her companions doesn’t help how annoying she is, she’s written with every disaffected angsty youth trope as to be a caricature. Anyways, long story short characters and writing were so distracting it wouldn’t have mattered.

There are damaged characters in film that aren’t annoying or distilled caricatures of nothing but a single word on an idea card. I’d say those are some of the best ones in movies because their redemption means some and we empathy with them because the subtlety of their struggles and interpersonal relationships resonates with the struggles and issues we have. Even good villains have these traits and sometimes we don’t know why we understand the motivations of the bad guy and can relate and that makes us uncomfortable.

With regards to Hellraiser and the cube, the allure of the power was the thing. The movie even went over this, in this iteration, more explicitly in the “gifts” and configurations of the cube. The powerful and elite were just as drawn to it for power as the junkie for more sensation. I don’t think that the point has been “oh you’re a junky here use the box it can give you more drugs!” It is more show me your pain! A junky ain’t good at anything but being a junky. That isn’t interesting to me as a viewer or a Hell Priest looking to extract or exact pain and beauty. Voight directly shows this within the film.

That’s too much to try and put on paper at 6:30am and I’m rambling so will stop.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
She isnt likeable because she is a worthless junkie. In that sense she hit the role. There isnt much to like about her because, again, she is a worthless junkie. Movies that make junkies nice or caring, or endearing are bad writing. Junkies are none of those things. None of the cast are particularly likeable. In one sense it makes it easier to see them suffer and die.

Agree that the Cenobites were too busy with their designs.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This movie feels like it tries to pull on member' berries for the earlier movies in the franchise.. but it just comes off as clean, barren and... boring. The dark, almost warhammer 40k demonic gods vibe feels missing almost 99% of the movie. The cenobites design was definitely too busy - because a lot of it just didnt make sense in the vein of what the point of their body mutilation is supposed to achieve. The movie needed to be darker, and more ominous. A bit more grotesque, but not to the point where you just become numb to it. ...and ya, the main character is just not entertaining.

Ill back up that 2/5 stars.

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
Not to mention the "we have such sights to show you" line. It's like they realized it was missing and threw it in at the last minute. It felt like watching someone think of a comeback like 2 minutes too late, but still trying to pull it off.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
This movie was just bad. Ive watched C and D movies in the 80s and 90s that were better than this tripe. Shit even some of the later Hellraiser movies that sucked were better than this shit. The story was awful, the characters were awful, cenobites had no "bite" they ruined the box, they even managed to ruin the mystique behind the box.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Man, I'll probably still end up watching it for the visuals but sucks to read the reviews. A decent chunk of my art style was developed from being exposed to Hellraiser as a little kid.

Last edited: