Hellraiser

Juvarisx

Florida
Yeah, that actually looked pretty good. I think the voice of the female pin head is pretty well done. I will watch this. I especially liked the detail about the box itself. I always thought that the world could be vastly expanded upon. This kind of looks like it might be going that direction.

1663700263292.png

I'm liking that that each configuration step hurts you, so you have to really want it to solve it

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Read multiple posts about the first 3 Hellraisers being good...3 was pretty shit, if I'm remembering the right movie. Hellraiser in space was better than that shit, and it's a low bar.

I thought the last straight to DVD or whatever movie in the series had established a new "leader" in the form of the Auditor, but I guess they decided for a reboot they needed the franchise icon Pinhead again.

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
Not going to lie... I read The Hellbound Heart WAY back in high school. Shortly thereafter, the movie came out. I've watched the original Hellraiser quite a few times. The new movie got announced and I was pissed they made Pinhead a woman. (And yes, I'm aware the current climate helped to trigger me.) Anyhow, someone pointed out that Pinhead was feminine in the original story and I had NO recollection of that. I don't remember being triggered that it was changed to a man in the movie, either. So I went back and read the damn story.... both "Pinhead" and "The Engineer" were portrayed as feminine. Well... I stand corrected. I am now excited for the movie. lol

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Hellraiser 3 is pretty scary overall but I don't like that Pinhead is reduced to a supernatural slasher villain. I prefer the first two films where our antagonists are jaded and depraved people that actively seek out the surgeons from beyond and good people are caught in the middle.

Yeah, same here. What jumped out the most to me was that the Cenobites are this Chaotic Neutral bunch who are neither good or bad, just explorers of the fringes of reality. That was an interesting premise that could go places. Then by the third movie onward they're reduced to generic slasher villains that want blood and whatever. Also suddenly there was a religious component which wasn't necessary and puts the Cenobites more in the category of generic Hell spawn. Them being dimensional travelers is so much better.

I watched 1-3 for the first time ever this week and called it there, not gonna watch the other 7 direct to video ones. Friend told me to just watch the first two, but I liked those so I stuck around for 3. Minor spoilers:

1 - While good, I wasn't that into this. Was mostly interested in the Cenobites, and they're hardly in the movie. Seemed to mostly be about this weird zombie guy wanting to be put back together. Had a couple of very memorable scenes. I'd like it more if I rewatched it now that I understand what it's about and have tempered expectations.

2 - This was my favorite of the three, brought back the chick from the first one and she's in an asylum, Sarah Connor style. She turned out to be a great main character. I like that they stuck with the four main Cenobites (though one of them seemed to be recast) and they got a lot more of the screentime in this one. The Hell Dimension (or whatever it was) was cool, as was Pinhead and the MC being on the same page against the evil doctor Cenobite. Very enjoyable movie that leaves a lot of potential for future sequels.

3 - This one stars a couple of hot wimmin so that was nice, the dark-haired goth chick wore some hot AF outfits (the one where they go shopping, in particular). I like the main chick from Deep Space Nine. This one never really resonated with me though and the Cenobites are just generic slashers now. Glad I watched it and it was entertaining but it felt like a good stopping point.

As far as the remake goes, it could be good. What I got from the first two movies is that this is an interesting idea that could be explored more, but not the way the sequels did. Kinda like the first Highlander movie vs the other movies. So in situations like this a remake is a chance to do further concept-exploring.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I'm alright with this. The Hell Priestess being largely androgynous seems like it'd fit. Not everything is a subversive commie takeover, sometimes these casting choices manage to make sense.

Yeah she'll never compare to Pinhead, but nobody else (of either gender) would have in the role either.

Juvarisx

Florida
Pretty good, probably #2 for me after the first overall but this had far superior Cenobite action. They were all redesigned, are 90-100% practical and all look, sound and act fantastic. The human characters are essentially cardboard cutouts and the acting from them is straight to DVD tier but who cares about them really anyways.

Some lore changes I didnt love but overall I was happy I watched it.

Man the Cenobites were real good in this, particular the Weeper

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty good sums it up.

I miss the original Pin Head but the new one did well enough. The new Cenobites were very well done. I enjoyed the in depth ideas around the cube. The many configurations that are part of the final choice. Honestly the acting was on par with the 2 original movies, as that acting was not exactly top notch either(Save for Pin Head).

I would watch more if they continue the story. They certainly left it open for more with the way it ended.

A solid 7.5/10

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Nothing is going to top Doug Bradley saying "Your suffering will be legendary, even in Hell!".

Pretty much hate this new female lead. Junkie slut. Hope Pinhead fucks her shit up.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Saw the movie. Thought it was pretty dumb. Doesn't hold up to the original.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Nothing is going to top Doug Bradley saying "Your suffering will be legendary, even in Hell!".

Pretty much hate this new female lead. Junkie slut. Hope Pinhead fucks her shit up.
Riley needs her lights punched.

1/2 done with movie and nothing has happened yet. Mostly just young adults being insufferable and shrieking at each other.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
Meh. Seriously, I wasn't impressed at all. The graphics are obviously better, but the script was shit. Changing the lore, etc... I am no longer excited about this take on the story/world.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Disappointing.

Wasn't bad exactly, but really fucking tame compared to the first 2 films.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I felt the same about the first half of the movie. The main characters are all terrible. Joe Bob had a Hellraiser 2 episode that I watched last year, and I don’t remember wanting them to all be murdered in ways even unimaginable to the cenobites. Once the stuff started happening it was fine for me. Not a lore purist so can’t approach it from that standpoint, mostly rely on what people post in this thread.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user