Hemlock Grove - Netflix series

Terial

Trakanon Raider
never saw or heard of this, but the transformation here makes me want to give this a major try!

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
Ill give this a chance as long as its not a trueblood/tween drama. transformation was interesting at least.

Sylverlokk

Golden Knight of the Realm
That transformation reminds me of this quote from Being Human UK.

"He should be dead within 30 seconds. The werewolf heart is about two-thirds the size of a human's. But in order to shrink, first it has to stop. In other words, he has a heart attack. All of the internal organs are smaller, so while he's having his heart attack, he's having liver and kidney failure too. If he stops screaming it's not because the pain has dulled, his throat, gullet and vocal chords are tearing and reforming. He literally can't make a sound. By now the pituitary gland should be working overtime, flooding his body with endorphins to ease some of the pain, but that too has shut down. Anyone else would have died of shock long ago. But it won't kill him and that's the thing I find most remarkable. It drags him through the fire and keeps him alive and even conscious to endure every second. Nothing like this could just evolve. This.......is the finger print of God. An impossible lethal curse spread by tooth and claw, victim begets victim begets victim. It's so cruel, it's... perfect." Mitchell, Being Human.

Elissidel_sl

shitlord
That was indeed brutal, and I will at least watch the first couple episodes based on that scene alone, however, I am kind of getting tired of the whole "werewolves look like regular wolves" thing thatTruebloodand these types of shows do so often. I get it that it probably saves a ton of money, but I really miss the giant half man, half wolf, all beast look of the past.Dog Soldierswas able to pull it off with a relatively small budget...

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I was wondering if he actually leaves eyeballs, teeth and flesh lying around after every transformation and then...he ate them.

Still, seems like a weird way to go about it, with basically shedding his outer human parts. Wonder how he changes back, changes from the inside, sheds outer wolf parts (eats them?) and grows new eyeballs?

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Reminds me of, was it Baldurs Gate 2, where the werewolves would explode into a pile of gore (the usual critical death effect) on tranformation.

I agree that regular wolves don't really cut it as horror monsters anymore, but it was still pretty cool.

Sylverlokk

Golden Knight of the Realm
Dog Soldiers was friggan awesome, that fight scene with the guy and the werewolf is the best "your gonna go down fighting" scene I ever saw.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
After House of Cards I can't do anything but give Netflix the benefit of the doubt. It looks simply okay, I'll give it a chance though.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
At least they're not skimping out on the blood and freaky shit like most of these modern urban "horror" type shows do.

Hopefully you're wrong about the highschool thing, outside of drooling babies and drooling retirees, school kids are the most boring characters by a large margin, any drama they're faced with ineveitably feels silly and meaningless or completely contrived to anyone watching over the age of 18.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Saw the first episode. Writing is questionable at times as is the acting. Characters seemed kinda meh and the high school shit could get campy. Deffinately saw some potential so I will hold off on any conclusive judgement but it certainly wasn't as dark as I was hoping.

Was nice to see Chief Tyrol from BSG. Plus I saw tits in the first few minutes so theres that.

Edit: Second episode gets a little better if for no other reason besides the rich kid earning his red wings. Hah!

satael

Silver Squire
Watched some episodes. Not that good but the hope of the story actually finishing in 13 episodes (unlike most shows of this genre) will probably keep me watching unless the show takes a nosedive at some point.

edit: alot of the stuff doesn't actually get finished in the 13 episodes (but I don't regret watching through it)

Caliane

watching this now.
and had to come check out this thread after seeing the wolf transformation. haha. brutal indeed.

I actually like ww's looking more wolflike. It always bugs me when its the opposite. Giant bearlike humanoid, makes no sense.
Like the claws. how do you go from human hand, and wolf paw, and end up with giant elongated fingers so many do?

werewolves were more like Selkie, etc. And yeah. turn outright into wolves. Very often having a wolfskin they put on.

dechire

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I kind of like the show, everywhere I read about it online talks about it being boring but it seems to move quick enough for me. I like that its a highschool thing and that not all the "monsters" are a-typical. Also Femke!

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Only about halfway through it but my impression of it is Twin Peaks-with-Werewolves, complete with the camp, over-acting, and plot that leaves out important details* and doesn't entirely make sense that goes along with such a comparison. You can definitely see Eli Roth's influence too, the gore and effects are up to his usual standards.

* - Like how Roman ended up asking to see Peter change into a wolf in E02. I actually thought I had fallen asleep and missed 10-15 minutes of it.