Hemlock Grove - Netflix series

dechire

Bronze Knight of the Realm
"Twin Peaks-with-Werewolves" is a pretty good description, Smallville/Buffy it is not.

Venijk

My vote to what this felt like is Twin Peaks + American Horror Story

I just finished watching the series. There were a lot of sour notes as far as some of the acting and dialogue went and there were a fuckload of loose ends. At times it was a convoluted mess and, similar to Vorph's experience, I found a lot of the sudden relationship changes between the characters to be jarring.

On the other hand, while there were plenty of super awkward moments, it was really damn fun at times and there were also a lot of impressively human moments (a lot of them actually well done, more than I would have every imagined a 'horror' series to pull off).

Despite being critically flawed at times, I enjoyed the hell out of it and have a feeling it'll be something that sticks around in the back of my mind for a while.

Edit: The first half of the season was very twin peaks, the second half was where the American Horror Story style felt prevalent. There might be a better parallel than AHS but I'm going to bed instead of thinking of one.

velk

Trakanon Raider
First ep was entertaining, will watch more.

Weirdly, Norman is played by the same actor who was in today's Dr Who. I wonder how the scheduling worked on that one given they are filming in different countries.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
It was kinda entertaining, at least they're not afraid to go all out with the violence and sex like most of these shows are. High school stuff sucks, but they did keep it to a minimum. Will see where it goes.

Venijk

It was kinda entertaining, at least they're not afraid to go all out with the violence and sex like most of these shows are. High school stuff sucks, but they did keep it to a minimum. Will see where it goes.
There is less and less highschool shit as the season goes on.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I watched the first two episodes. Twin Peaks is a very good comparison. Not as good, but still in that vein. I like it. I mean, it is awful. But it is the kind of cheesy noir that doesn't have to be good.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
We watched all of it over the weekend and I felt like it should have been a 2 hour movie instead. So goddamn slow.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So the wife and I have watched the first two episodes and we're thinking about calling it at that. Does it get better? It looks like there could be some interesting stuff going on, but I don't care about the vast majority of the characters they've introduced and they seem to jump from scene to scene without explanation of how they got there. We stopped watching American Horror Story for the same reason.

Celebrindal

Golden Squire
In my personal opinion, it does get better. Watch it, or don't, it's up to you and your wife. It's nothing ground breaking or fantastic. It's a good series, and there is set up for what should be a good next season.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
So the wife and I have watched the first two episodes and we're thinking about calling it at that. Does it get better? It looks like there could be some interesting stuff going on, but I don't care about the vast majority of the characters they've introduced and they seem to jump from scene to scene without explanation of how they got there. We stopped watching American Horror Story for the same reason.
The problem I had with it is that it is too similar to what I dislike about American Horror Story. All the jumping around.

I am not saying it is a bad show, I just wanted it to be more. The last few episodes finally moved the story along and are fairly exciting at times. You just have to slog through quite a few boring ones without enough explanation.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
I didn't find it amazing or anything, but I was pretty entertained. I'll watch a season 2 if there is one.

One thing that I did hate though is how easily people seemed to just accept strange shit. Like the giant ass sister glowing blue, or how the kids just jumped on the Peter is a werewolf rumor like it was no big deal. When I was in high school had someone said "I think that guy is a werewolf..." they would of gotten laughed at for being a retard. Or how Roman can jedi mind trick someone right in front of a crowd of people or in front of a cop and no one questions it. I can let most shit slide since it is a supernatural show, but when normal people act in completely unrealistic ways in the face of such stuff it just rubs me wrong. Feels like lazy writing.

dechire

So I would like to add some further thoughts on the series now that I finished it. I don't know what the fuck they were thinking but that last episode is maybe one of the single worst pieces of TV I have ever witnessed. There are maybe 5 mins of it that they should have done and left it alone, sooooo much bad dialogue and questionable storytelling it literally shits on the rest of the season. Up to that point I enjoyed the series but after that I can see why people are hating on it now. Its bad. It is complete and utter trash and I wonder how the fuck anyone involved thought it was a good idea. Everything falls apart, the actors, the story, everything. Sooo if you are watching it turn it off after episode 12 and give it your own ending.

satael

Silver Squire
So I would like to add some further thoughts on the series now that I finished it. I don't know what the fuck they were thinking but that last episode is maybe one of the single worst pieces of TV I have ever witnessed. There are maybe 5 mins of it that they should have done and left it alone, sooooo much bad dialogue and questionable storytelling it literally shits on the rest of the season. Up to that point I enjoyed the series but after that I can see why people are hating on it now. Its bad. It is complete and utter trash and I wonder how the fuck anyone involved thought it was a good idea. Everything falls apart, the actors, the story, everything. Sooo if you are watching it turn it off after episode 12 and give it your own ending.
The last episode is pretty much an attempt to justify a second season instead of wrapping up stuff.

Pumpkin Thief

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I wish they hadn't asked Famke to do a British accent. Fuck that is horrible. Decent mystery storyline. Some solid acting mixed with some horrendous acting makes it kinda funny. I dig the twin peaks vibe.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I finished it up. They went kind of dark with that ending, significantly darker than the rest of the series I think. I'd watch a second season, but yeah, I agree, I didn't like that ending. It just didn't fit with the rest of the series.

I don't get the Ourobouros reveal. Was that supposed to be shocking after everything we had seen?

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I kind of like the show, everywhere I read about it online talks about it being boring but it seems to move quick enough for me. I like that its a highschool thing and that not all the "monsters" are a-typical. Also Femke!
Its bad. It is complete and utter trash and I wonder how the fuck anyone involved thought it was a good idea. Everything falls apart, the actors, the story, everything. Sooo if you are watching it turn it off after episode 12 and give it your own ending.
rrr_img_22876.jpg

rrr_img_22876.jpg

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The show is really.... really bad. Not sure why Netflix even green lit this. The story has a lot of promise, but the dialogue and acting are absolutely awful. Some of the worst I've ever seen.

The one saving grave is the music in the show is really good.