Heroes of the Storm

DMK_sl

shitlord
Having tried to get into LOL and failed. I'm interested in this. I want to play as the characters. I think there will be a lot of people in the same boat.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
Yeah, because having Valve back you up and being able to throw 1.6 million dollars into a "first-look" tournament back in 2011 while the game is still in beta didn't have any effect on DoTA2 growing as big as it did.
How many other companies have invested millions into a game and it never working? Your argument is garbage. Did it help? Yes that's what spending money on marketing is supposed to do (and yes that tournament was a marketing event). Why would valve not invest millions into promoting their game when they know it's amazing, the player feedback is there, the pros are flocking to it from old dota 1 and hon, etc... Not making the decision to invest that much would've been a mistake as is showcasesd by dota's rapid ascension.

Take a class or two on business marketing buddy.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Shit's in Alpha. Blizzard almost always on every single game has upgraded graphics from Alpha - Launch.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
Yeah, because having Valve back you up and being able to throw 1.6 million dollars into a "first-look" tournament back in 2011 while the game is still in beta didn't have any effect on DoTA2 growing as big as it did.
Actually the first international was very poorly received since no one knew the game and the event was ran pretty shitty. It was the fact that the game was really well made with competitive gaming in mind from the very beginning that it became so successful and is still growing.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
This just looks like a more polished SC2 custom map.
A lot of those models you're actually able to place into the sc2 map editor as well. There is a sc2 custom MOBA map with a name like Aions of ... something which iirc had Illidan models and kerrigan models already in it.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
With all the LOL vs DOTA2 bickering, I am just glad we all agree Infinite Crisis sucks.

Sulrn

Deuces
I feel the beginning of a Rickshaw Hall of Shame moment coming on. Don't disappoint you two.

Sulrn

Deuces
A lot of those models you're actually able to place into the sc2 map editor as well. There is a sc2 custom MOBA map with a name like Aions of ... something which iirc had Illidan models and kerrigan models already in it.
Aeon of Strife

khalid

Unelected Mod
The complaints about how Blizzard is going to simplify this and remove all strategy somewhat reminds me of the complaints about WoW all the time. That it is too simple, dumbed down MMOs, etc. Yet maintaining a top dps rotation in WoW, maximizing your healing, etc is far harder in WoW than any other MMO currently. You also have far more tools to examine these things, from simulationcraft to RAWR, etc. WoW is not the dumbed down game that old EQ vets wearing rose-colored glasses believes.

As for LoL, some of the mechanics that people are complaining about immediately turned me off to it. For example, the "complexity" of getting the last blow to get xp from a mob. It really felt like I was trying to "killsteal" from my team to get xp. So yeah, let me give you my money blizz. Not all complexity is good.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Pretty sure it's just gold you get from the last hit and XP is given in an AOE around the dead mob.

Grayson Carlyle

Golden Squire
From the sound of I don't know if it's really going to compete with either league or dota, as it isn't really a moba. I'm sure there will be erosion from both because blizzard, but if anything it sounds like a standalone alterac valley.
That's pretty much exactly what I've been looking for in a game. I played AoS, lots of Valley of Dissent and lots of Tides of Blood, but I never really liked the purchased item side of the maps, so HotS is very much how I'd like to enjoy a small PvP game.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
personally, and i've commented on the DOTA2 thread about it, but the learning curve of LoL and DOTA2 are so brutal that it's generally not fun for newcomers. a big reason for that is items and how you can end up with some huge level disparity in your team sometimes. it's ALL about maximizing xp and gold income. the fundamentals of that make sense and you should be rewarded for playing smart, but if you get blind sided by an entire team rolling over you once or twice you are done and it's probably a bigger help for you team if you just sit at home base afk. that system is FAR too punishing for new players. i've given up on dota2 after about 15 games because it's just not fun. it's not even about learning from my mistakes because there's no way to measure your own progress without actually winning. "well, i had more gold, and i died less... but the other team's lowest player was still 4 levels higher than me."

my brother-in-law told me NOT to play against bots to learn to play because "bots won't teach you to win against real players." again, that makes sense. a live player will always be infinitely more dangerous than a computer. that being said... i'm not having fun. if i'm not having fun, why am i playing a game?

anyways, point is i'm totally okay with throwing a wrench in the standard fare of MOBA games. LoL and DOTA aren't going anywhere. what's wrong with creating a different way to play?

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
personally, and i've commented on the DOTA2 thread about it, but the learning curve of LoL and DOTA2 are so brutal that it's generally not fun for newcomers. a big reason for that is items and how you can end up with some huge level disparity in your team sometimes. it's ALL about maximizing xp and gold income. the fundamentals of that make sense and you should be rewarded for playing smart, but if you get blind sided by an entire team rolling over you once or twice you are done and it's probably a bigger help for you team if you just sit at home base afk. that system is FAR too punishing for new players. i've given up on dota2 after about 15 games because it's just not fun. it's not even about learning from my mistakes because there's no way to measure your own progress without actually winning. "well, i had more gold, and i died less... but the other team's lowest player was still 4 levels higher than me."

my brother-in-law told me NOT to play against bots to learn to play because "bots won't teach you to win against real players." again, that makes sense. a live player will always be infinitely more dangerous than a computer. that being said... i'm not having fun. if i'm not having fun, why am i playing a game?

anyways, point is i'm totally okay with throwing a wrench in the standard fare of MOBA games. LoL and DOTA aren't going anywhere. what's wrong with creating a different way to play?
Your bother-in-law isn't very smart and you shouldn't listen to him.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
what sutekh said, but also your one scenario isnt true at all you can always play more cautious get a few kills and climb back in, and you should be able to gauge your progress over time not on the next game. You should be taking so many things away from each game, if i lose i look at what i could have done better to help the team win or win in general, if maybe i needed to farm more than fight or fight and gank early etc.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Wrong, playing against Bots to learn is a terrible way to learn. But you don't play LoL so how would you know?

Edit: playing against Bots to practice CSing is fine, but the Bot Champs are terrible.