Heroes of the Storm

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Im just confused why they decided to go with queuing with a hero instead of doing a draft/blind pick type of deal so you can at least coordinate with your team mates. Especially in such a team oriented game.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Im just confused why they decided to go with queuing with a hero instead of doing a draft/blind pick type of deal so you can at least coordinate with your team mates. Especially in such a team oriented game.
Outside of having one support on your team whatever else you have isn't of the highest import especially with both sides playing under the same rules

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, it did seem like there is some kind of role matchmaking going on because it usually does a pretty good job of giving you a balanced group.

Also with the talent system it helps out tremendously. I've gotten some weird setups that I think will never work, like 3 tanks and 2 healers, and we ended up dominating. As a tank I just picked the offensive instead of defensive talents and when you're playing against a group like that with a bunch of randoms it is impossible to pick one target to focus down because its not obvious, so that probably really worked to our advantage.

Tenks

Yeah, it did seem like there is some kind of role matchmaking going on because it usually does a pretty good job of giving you a balanced group.

Also with the talent system it helps out tremendously. I've gotten some weird setups that I think will never work, like 3 tanks and 2 healers, and we ended up dominating. As a tank I just picked the offensive instead of defensive talents and when you're playing against a group like that with a bunch of randoms it is impossible to pick one target to focus down because its not obvious, so that probably really worked to our advantage.
Yeah roles in this game are very flexible depending upon how you spec. The only real exception is supports since tanks/assassins can't spec to heal.

A few individual heroes are also outliers. Like Diablo simply cannot spec to not be nothing more than a damage sponge and positional disruptor. And a few supports can't spec very well to be offensive.

Tenks

Also the biggest frustration is certain heroes on certain maps aren't nearly as good. Hopefully in the future you can ban a few maps when you queue. Like Nova on Mines? Forgetaboutit. You're basically worthless the entire time.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Yeah roles in this game are very flexible depending upon how you spec. The only real exception is supports since tanks/assassins can't spec to heal.

A few individual heroes are also outliers. Like Diablo simply cannot spec to not be nothing more than a damage sponge and positional disruptor. And a few supports can't spec very well to be offensive.
Wait what? All of the support classes can talent into a more offensive spec.

Rime

<Donor>
Abathur week makes me so sad. Nothing like having Abathur, Murky, Malfurion, and Nova as your team mates.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Also the biggest frustration is certain heroes on certain maps aren't nearly as good. Hopefully in the future you can ban a few maps when you queue. Like Nova on Mines? Forgetaboutit. You're basically worthless the entire time.
You think so? It seems nova would be really strong on haunted mines because people are normally so spread out on that map between lanes/mercs/and mines. If only one or two people go into the mines its easy pickin's since you can basically tell where the opponent is/headed to by where skulls are disappearing.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
So you guys just had a discussion about talents, specs, and the blizzard matchmaker itself lists the heroes in roles, 5 classes in fact. Along with"the biggest frustration is certain heroes on certain maps aren't nearly as good". Truly the WoW BG comparison seems stupid surely. You even discuss picking the maps you queue on based upon what hero you chose.

Tenks

You think so? It seems nova would be really strong on haunted mines because people are normally so spread out on that map between lanes/mercs/and mines. If only one or two people go into the mines its easy pickin's since you can basically tell where the opponent is/headed to by where skulls are disappearing.
She's really, really bad. She can't clear mines for shit and can't push for shit. Her sustained DPS is shit so she can't do anything once the objective is achieved. About the only thing she can do is try and control the merc camps to make sure they don't get capped by the other team (and then be unable to take them herself.)

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
So you guys just had a discussion about talents, specs, and the blizzard matchmaker itself lists the heroes in roles, 5 classes in fact. Along with"the biggest frustration is certain heroes on certain maps aren't nearly as good". Truly the WoW BG comparison seems stupid surely. You even discuss picking the maps you queue on based upon what hero you chose.
Would it help you feel better if we called them items and builds instead? because I was unaware you lvled in battlegrounds and could spec accordingly.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
So I watched one of those organized 5v5 matches... man that looked boring as shit. There's a lot of communication about objectives and shit, but heroes never seem to die. When one finally died, they had a 55 second resurrection timer at 17 minutes, that seems very unforgiving.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So I watched one of those organized 5v5 matches... man that looked boring as shit. There's a lot of communication about objectives and shit, but heroes never seem to die. When one finally died, they had a 55 second resurrection timer at 17 minutes, that seems very unforgiving.
Meta is very support heavy and unlike say dota where burst is insane, CC is insane and supports are squish as fuck due to having no items and low levels AND support spells costing in general a lot of mana so they run out, in hots none of this is really true(burst and CC can be with some comps though). So at least last time I checked "high level" play, it was 2 supports in every team and people wouldn't die unless they were being retarded or all ults were popped at once to guarantee one kill, which was enough to win the fight and sometimes the game, off this one kill.

Didn't look very good, from a spectator perspective. But that's my opinion.

As for rez timers, it's a way to guarantee shorter games, the rez timers are similar to dota in scaling but over a much shorter period of time. You quickly reach the 40-60secs rez timers so when people die, you can push really hard especially since no buyback. That's why in general the games end earlier, because mistakes a lot more costly earlier.