Hex: Shards of Fate TCG - Set 7: Frostheart 6/29/17

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I don't give a shit about the collectable part. I've still been playing MTG for the last decade just to draft, then giving/selling the cards away after.

If the draft format is good, the game will be successful. That's where WOTC makes all it's digital money.

Now if there was a physical component, the secondary market is definitely the most important thing to longterm success.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Also, these guys are a legit company (making the WOW TCG) which is the only reason why I'm paying attention to them. So they know how to make card games. The game is already nearly done and this just seems like a marketing strategy. I will also not hesitate pulling my pledge if it turns out some of the questions I know that are being asked today come back with retarded answers; namely secondary markets or the ability to "cash out" on your cards.

I won't play a game where I can't collect and sell stuff, which was always the best part of CG's imo.
This is why I haven't done the $500 level yet, all that is posted on the Kickstarter is:

HEX Kickstarter_sl said:
- Buy and sell cards, gear, and other in-game rewards in a robust and fully featured AUCTION HOUSE

A full player economy will allow you to trade and sell your gear and cards as you build the ultimate collection.
Is there indication anywhere else that real money transactions will be allowed? Will it be a Card => PvE/PvP Currency => $$$ or didn't MTG have a Card => Ticket => $$$ system?

satael

Silver Squire
There's no way I'll invest a considerable (up to $250) sum on a CG if I have no hope of getting any of that investment back at any point (pretty much for the same reason I haven't bought any of the lifetime subscriptions for mmos)

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
If I had to guess, they will allow a secondary market to evolve. Currently they have two currencies gold (PVE currency) and platinum, which seems to be their RMT currency. There will not be a cash AH in the game from what I've read. I have no idea if you will be allowed to sell platinum back to them though.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
If they have an in-game currency you can use on cards and use to enter events, an RMT will pop up whether they want it to or not.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
If they have an in-game currency you can use on cards and use to enter events, an RMT will pop up whether they want it to or not.
This. As a TCG with an auction house I guarantee there will be a RMT website that will pop up.

Mikey78_sl

shitlord
So I did the $500 one. . .call me nuts, but I have spent far more than that over the years on mtg and these games fit the way I have time to play games these days (in small bursts). So I guess that means I can make a guild for us with and get the bonus when the time is right.

The one advantage I have over teen gamers these days is the size of my paycheck. Suck it.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
First few stretch goals are up. The 540k goal that gives you ability to buy a regular booster and have it be a Primal Pack (all rare or legendary cards) and then the ability to sell/trade those on the market sounds pretty damn cool. I also like that each Primal Pack has a treasure chest that can be traded/sold also. That is truly something unique that may force me to buy just one more booster a week. This is my kind of crack.

fuffalo_sl

shitlord
It seems like I would be totally screwed if I wanted to play this game when it comes out, and I hadn't bought the $250 kickstarter. Is that at all true?

Goldenmean_sl

shitlord
It seems like I would be totally screwed if I wanted to play this game when it comes out, and I hadn't bought the $250 kickstarter. Is that at all true?
Depends on whether you're more interested in PvE or PvP. The kickstarter only PvE rewards are potentially pretty nice accelerators and not attainable anywhere else (More loot from every dungeon, letting you get PvE cards/equipment faster. Slightly faster xp gain from the guildmaster perk, though you can always just ride someone elses coattails on that. A nice defensive raid card that could potentially help quite a lot on difficult bosses, not to mention the host of kickstarter only mercenary champions and cards).

If you're more into PvP then you're missing out on essentially 7$ a week worth of content for the life of the game (free draft every week at 2$ per pack for 3 packs and a 1 dollar entry fee) Both PvP and PvE sides get you an amazing deal on your first buy in for the game (340$ worth of cards and boosters for 250$ dollars)

Really depends on your buying habits. If you're the sort of person who can drop hundreds of dollars on a TCG and this looks like something you'd enjoy, buying in early at the pro-player tier is definitely worth it. I wouldn't say missing out on any of this means you're totally screwed though. They seem to have been very careful to make sure that everything on the PvP half is either cosmetic (alternate art cards) or just a better deal (free draft every week, many boosters at reduced price). PvE half is less cosmetic, but it's mostly just accelerators for xp or loot. Unless they design a raid that's just unbeatable without raidmaster's blessing or one of the kickstarter only PvE cards, which seems unlikely.

By the way, hi all. Been lurking on this and FoH forums for probably around 8 years or so. Finally decided to post something. I'm pretty excited about this game, and have yet to be able to psych up anyone I know about it past the "I'll wait and see once it's out" point.

fuffalo_sl

shitlord
Depends on whether you're more interested in PvE or PvP. The kickstarter only PvE rewards are potentially pretty nice accelerators and not attainable anywhere else (More loot from every dungeon, letting you get PvE cards/equipment faster. Slightly faster xp gain from the guildmaster perk, though you can always just ride someone elses coattails on that. A nice defensive raid card that could potentially help quite a lot on difficult bosses, not to mention the host of kickstarter only mercenary champions and cards).

If you're more into PvP then you're missing out on essentially 7$ a week worth of content for the life of the game (free draft every week at 2$ per pack for 3 packs and a 1 dollar entry fee) Both PvP and PvE sides get you an amazing deal on your first buy in for the game (340$ worth of cards and boosters for 250$ dollars)

Really depends on your buying habits. If you're the sort of person who can drop hundreds of dollars on a TCG and this looks like something you'd enjoy, buying in early at the pro-player tier is definitely worth it. I wouldn't say missing out on any of this means you're totally screwed though. They seem to have been very careful to make sure that everything on the PvP half is either cosmetic (alternate art cards) or just a better deal (free draft every week, many boosters at reduced price). PvE half is less cosmetic, but it's mostly just accelerators for xp or loot. Unless they design a raid that's just unbeatable without raidmaster's blessing or one of the kickstarter only PvE cards, which seems unlikely.

By the way, hi all. Been lurking on this and FoH forums for probably around 8 years or so. Finally decided to post something. I'm pretty excited about this game, and have yet to be able to psych up anyone I know about it past the "I'll wait and see once it's out" point.
That's kind of funny, you responded to my first post after lurking for a while too.

Thanks for the analysis!

Goldenmean_sl

shitlord
That's kind of funny, you responded to my first post after lurking for a while too.

Thanks for the analysis!
Interesting new games seem to have a habit of bringing lurkers out of the wings.

Wonder when the next round of stretch goals is going up. At this rate, we're going to be through all the current ones early on Thursday.

Also, on the topic of RMT, there was some random third party scuttlebutt from one of the high tier backers who seems to have a line to some Cryptozoic people that they're looking at doing their own RMT, but it's a big legal can of worms, and might not happen. Assuming that's true, and even if it does fail to happen legitimately, it seems unlikely they'll take a very ban-happy stance on third party trading. Guess we'll see though.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have noticed a few posts that have stated " I will pull out my Amount I pledged if this does not happen". If I pledge when do I actually have to pay the pledge? Oh...looks like June 7th?

The game itself looks nice. It appears to be pretty much a direct copy of MtG with more utility, because of what can be done with player cards. I like how certain cards mark themselves and thus can be placed in the library(Which I am sure has a different name) until redrawn. This is something that would be impossible to pull off with real time cards.

Like magic though, I wonder how they will handle overpowered cards. I am sure they are play testing the hell out of thier game, but MtG has had cards that were pretty much broke even fairly recently( Hi too you Jace the Mind Sculptor). Will they remove cards that are too powerful or will they change the text on the cards? The idea of being completely digital actually affords them the capability to change text, something MtG cannot do after print. This is an advantage to an MtG player as they know that when they get this card, they have time to enjoy it. With Hex, somebody might trade a ton for an overpowered card only to have it altered the very next day. Should be interesting to see how they handle that issue.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
looks like she went thru... fuck you guys.
With all you guys pledging for $500 and up I may drop down to the pro tier. I originally went with the $500 so I could support everybody with the multiplayer extras that it comes with. I didn't know the higher tiers would be so popular here, they obviously are, so my pledge is looking redundant.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I have noticed a few posts that have stated " I will pull out my Amount I pledged if this does not happen". If I pledge when do I actually have to pay the pledge? Oh...looks like June 7th?
You are correct. Amazon does not charge whatever form of payment you use until the Kickstarter project is succesfully funded AND the pledge timer hits 0.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I tried Might and Magic Duel of Champions last night, f2p digital ccg. It looks pretty good for a fix to hold me over until the Hex demo starts.

Murked

Bronze Knight of the Realm
One thing I never understood is why can't they make the cards produce a 3D model of the monster when the card is played and have them actually attack each other...that would be sweet.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Dropped $20, might drop more later. Also would be down for joining a FOH guild on this.

Do we know what they're going to charge for packs and decks? I always hoped that a game like this would have .99 cent packs or something, but I'm not holding my breath here.