His Dark Materials

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I haven't watched this series but 3rd season looks damn good. But I'll watch anything with James Mcavoy

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I really liked the first season. This show is especially poignant because it tries to remain faithful to the source material (even to the point of retaining the risky title "His Dark Materials.")

I am looking forward to it; although it was paced poorly season 2, as I recall. It's a lot of material to cover. And, yeah, they do race swaps but nothing intolerable.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wife wants to watch this. Any good?

Let's compare to The Peripheral. Where is this show in relation?

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm

I can't help you with a comparison but women seem to like it in my experience, it's very female character centric after all. It's the usual chosen one, wonder girl story but it's tolerable. Season one was alright but I got tired of it by the end of that.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

velk

Trakanon Raider

I like the Peripheral more - your mileage may vary.

HDM has the usual HBO advantage of gorgeous costume design and sets, great acting - but the story doesn't really live up to it, and didn't keep me as interested.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Been looking forward to seeing how this turns out, having read the books usually every couple of years its nice to that they are sticking so close to them.

S3 involves the battle of heaven (and countless other worlds, creatures etc) which I have no idea how they are going to do it but going in hopeful.

all to build up to the biggest sad point in book history that I always forget about when I go to start reading them again

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's really good. Read the book as a teen and this is a good adaptation of it.

It's about an orphan girl in an alternate universe where people's souls manifest as sentient talking animals everyone can see. Except she isn't really an orphan and her parents are doing some shady shit regarding how souls work and what that energy can be used for.

"His Dark Materials" refer to the mcguffins which are The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass - one appearing per season. With all three you can commit the ultimate sin/crime...

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Yeah so the premiere had some stuff that really bugged me.

First, faggot angels as mentioned above. They should be asexual. Where's my asexual representashon!?

* Will is slicing into other worlds looking for Lyra, right? So how does he end up running across the bear which exists in Lyra's world?
* Did the black dude even react to Asriel's fucking talking cat? I would think that'd be a big woah WTF moment.
* I don't care how fucking sharp that pig sticker is, that bear could maul him in a half second. And isn't bear armor like their pride and joy? Good job completely destroying his helmet.

Is this how it played out in the books? Because I thought this was rather dumb.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>

First, faggot angels as mentioned above. They should be asexual. Where's my asexual representashon!?

* Will is slicing into other worlds looking for Lyra, right? So how does he end up running across the bear which exists in Lyra's world?
* Did the black dude even react to Asriel's fucking talking cat? I would think that'd be a big woah WTF moment.
* I don't care how fucking sharp that pig sticker is, that bear could maul him in a half second. And isn't bear armor like their pride and joy? Good job completely destroying his helmet.

All correct points. These two episodes were pretty shit and not the same quality as seasons 1 and 2.

velk

Trakanon Raider

I agree, especially the last one - that scene annoyed me on a number of levels, starting with 'you could at least cut a bit off the edge instead of completely destroying it, you little shit' and finishing up with 'if the villagers have no problem letting the other bear out, you could have just fucking told them that to start with'.

I choose to believe the bear's internal monologue is something like 'I swear to god, these fucking kids'.

• 1Solidarity

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider

From what I remember of the book, the knife will take you where you want to go otherwise you'd get lost all over reality.

As for the angels, only vaguely recall them being all but invisible at the edge of light but 2 who seem to love each other follow Lyra around and try to keep her safe. I don't remember if they ever say whether angels are m/f or androgenous though

ShakyJake

<Donor>
As for the angels, only vaguely recall them being all but invisible at the edge of light but 2 who seem to love each other follow Lyra around and try to keep her safe. I don't remember if they ever say whether angels are m/f or androgenous though
I realize it's fantasy so whatever, but that shit annoys me. Sexuality exists for procreation, drives the continuation of a species. Spiritual / immortal beings would have no need for that.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Angels being romantically involved is stupid but I guess it can be a thing if authors want. What's annoying is that you know the show made them faggots on purpose. There was a discussion and they concluded that more faggots are needed on TV and they will push faggotry onto the viewers to support The Message.

• 1Like