His Dark Materials

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
Angels being romantically involved is stupid but I guess it can be a thing if authors want. What's annoying is that you know the show made them faggots on purpose. There was a discussion and they concluded that more faggots are needed on TV and they will push faggotry onto the viewers to support The Message.

They were gay in the books. Pullman was pretty anti-church in HDM (they are the bad guys pretty outright) and this was a jab at that.

Screenshot_20221215_064509_Chrome.jpg

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I have seen the first two episodes. Quite good.

Here's the good and bad of trying to stay faithful to the source material-- The Trilogy is dense stuff. Pullman is a a God-damn (pun intended) genius. Even if he is an arrogant one (as I recall, he referred to Tolkien's works as "thin stuff.")

It is hard to follow without remembering the source material well enough. But 2 episodes in, it's good. Very good.

PS- I tried very hard to find something to watch that isn't overwhelmingly woke, inter-racial or semi-stupid. (I would be fine with just plain stupid if that is what the show was aiming for).

I ended up watching "Black Adam." What a steaming piece of turd shit that is.

Right now my top shows airing on television are "The Peripheral," "His Dark Materials" and "Lower Decks."

Update-- Just saw episodes 3&4. 4 suffers some. The boat scene in particular. I recall
that scene being emotionally DEVASTATING. Lyra is an impulsive CHILD-- definitely pre-pubescent; because at puberty her daemon would become fixed/permanent. She was compelled to go to Roger and the alethiometer told her she was going to go. The separation from Pan and from Will and his unseen daemon never really happens.
so they definitely made the scene weaker.

Last edited:

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Why the hell is my streaming site of choice showing 8 available episodes? Did I sleep through the release of 4 new episodes? This show must be fire.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Guess it came out early in UK, what I watched had the BBC watermark. Watched it all, glad there won't be more.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Guess it came out early in UK, what I watched had the BBC watermark. Watched it all, glad there won't be more.
It's the opposite, only the first episode has been broadcast live for some reason, probably because of the football World Cup.

Unless they have it all on their streaming service? Did you see ep2 with a BBC watermark?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
PS- I tried very hard to find something to watch that isn't overwhelmingly woke, inter-racial or semi-stupid. (I would be fine with just plain stupid if that is what the show was aiming for).

Echo 3 on Apple TV

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tilluin

Molten Core Raider
All the episodes were on my Plex. Just finished the finale.

I loved this show when it first came out but everything felt super rushed in the last episodes and I had multiple “wait did I miss them explaining that?” Moments.

I knew who the guy in the box was from Google but felt weird the show just didn’t explain it at all.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Woah-- Only got 2 more episodes released this week on HBO here.

And man did they take a nose-dive. I know the source material and it was incomprehensible.

I hope they don't end on 2 more shitty episodes. 5 and 6 were not good.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Watched this on HBO and first 2 seasons were good but I stopped at like ep 2 of season 3. Fell right off the cliff for me.

Chris

Potato del Grande
OK so apparently while Ep2 is live on BBC One this weekend, it's all on their streaming service already.

Will try and catchup this weekend but your reviews are all worrying me.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The goddamn bear CGI in this show is really good. They somehow make it look and move like a real bear and even when he's talking it looks realistic and matches the words without being weirdly uncanny valley like so many other CGI attempts. Why can't huge budget productions like Star Wars even come close?

• 1Solidarity

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The goddamn bear CGI in this show is really good. They somehow make it look and move like a real bear and even when he's talking it looks realistic and matches the words without being weirdly uncanny valley like so many other CGI attempts. Why can't huge budget productions like Star Wars even come close?
Prob its a smaller CGI studio that does quality shit. Im sure SW movies are made by some lucasfilm bullshit CGI which is probably all politics and no talent anymore and they are stuck with them.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Enjoyed Season 1 and 2 but I agree that Season 3 sucked.

Maybe I misremembered the books, but there was way more time spent on Asrael/Coulter's redemption and way less spent on the actual "Dark Materials". Did we even see their point of view in the book?

Season 3 is based on a book called "The Amber Spyglass" but that's pointless apparently because an angel just came down and told them everything anyway. I thought that Mary had to make the thing and discovered that dust was leaking out of the doorways herself?

There is also way less Alethiometer and Subtle Knife use than I remember. My wife didn't understand why Lyra was determined to go to the underworld, in the books she's reading the compass none stop and doing what it says.

Then the prophecy was about them kissing and that doing something good with dust? Wut? Was the prophecy not about them KILLING GOD which was totally glossed over to avoid controversy.

They made season 1 and 2 worse by removing the parallel worlds twist and showing Will early, but they kept the story intact... season 3 just felt broken. They made me not care about Lyra and Will being seperated lmao.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
There is also way less Alethiometer and Subtle Knife use than I remember. My wife didn't understand why Lyra was determined to go to the underworld, in the books she's reading the compass none stop and doing what it says.
I haven't finished this, but I am up to the episode where they go to the underworld. And like your wife, I didn't understand why Lyra HAD to go see Roger to point where she'd willingly separate from her Daemon. Roger's dead, so didn't she literally have an eternity? Seems like they had much bigger fish to fry. Maybe I missed something.

Khane

This show was pretty good until the final 2 episodes. Did they run out of money and screenwriting talent there? My God that was rushed and forced and just dumb. Even the CGI took a nosedive.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
This show was pretty good until the final 2 episodes. Did they run out of money and screenwriting talent there? My God that was rushed and forced and just dumb. Even the CGI took a nosedive.
Disagree that it was pretty good but fully agree that it took a nosedive. That penultimate abyss scene was fucking LOL. What a shitshow.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Best part was them turning Metatron into the actual Chad meme in his human form

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure why it took me so long to watch this show. Just finished season 1. Fucking killer show.